Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Sydney - Emigrating on my own - help needed

Wikiposts

Adelaide or Sydney - Emigrating on my own - help needed

Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:27 am

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about
Question Adelaide or Sydney - Emigrating on my own - help needed

I am now very confused.

Aged 38, Male, perhaps a little shy and emigrating on my own. Work in IT, specifically in financial software. Have the visa (136 permanent resident) and planning on moving to oz in early January.

Originally I was going to Sydney or possibly Brisbane / Gold Coast then last time I was in Sydney I thought it was perhaps too manic, so then thought Adelaide and spent a week there to check it out.

Adelaide,
I like Adelaide and it is in Adelaide that the only person I know in oz lives. It seems like I can do some work remotely for the UK company I work for from Adelaide or anywhere in oz though the clients we deal with are actually in Sydney and Melbourne. UK income would be v good. However working on my own from home may not be so good and it may not work out long term.
Adelaide seems friendly and is a nice small size. Most prospective work for me is not in Adelaide however, as most finance is based in Sydney or Melbourne (ruled out Melbourne) so this could be a problem if the remote bit does not work out.

Sydney.
Where the work appears to be & the centre of everything. On the downside is it like most bigger cities in not being as friendly. Also it is a bit of a rat race and is very expensive. However it is the centre of everything.

Brisbane,
I would like to be near the coast and Brisbane does get sooo hot and sticky in the summer. Gold coast is great but is that great for a holiday and what about work. Dont like the idea of commuting.

Bear in mind I am coming on my own. I am getting very nervous now.

Any ideas, thoughts or comments (as long as they are not rude) would be appreciated.

Brian.:scared:

Last edited by bjbrian; Sep 11th 2006 at 8:30 am.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide or Sydney - Emigrating on my own - help needed

Originally Posted by bjbrian
I am now very confused.

Aged 38, Male, perhaps a little shy and emigrating on my own. Work in IT, specifically in financial software. Have the visa (136 permanent resident) and planning on moving to oz in early January.

Originally I was going to Sydney or possibly Brisbane / Gold Coast then last time I was in Sydney I thought it was perhaps too manic, so then thought Adelaide and spent a week there to check it out.

Adelaide,
I like Adelaide and it is in Adelaide that the only person I know in oz lives. It seems like I can do some work remotely for the UK company I work for from Adelaide or anywhere in oz though the clients we deal with are actually in Sydney and Melbourne. UK income would be v good. However working on my own from home may not be so good and it may not work out long term.
Adelaide seems friendly and is a nice small size. Most prospective work for me is not in Adelaide however, as most finance is based in Sydney or Melbourne (ruled out Melbourne) so this could be a problem if the remote bit does not work out.

Sydney.
Where the work appears to be & the centre of everything. On the downside is it like most bigger cities in not being as friendly. Also it is a bit of a rat race and is very expensive. However it is the centre of everything.

Brisbane,
I would like to be near the coast and Brisbane does get sooo hot and sticky in the summer. Gold coast is great but is that great for a holiday and what about work. Dont like the idea of commuting.

Bear in mind I am coming on my own. I am getting very nervous now.

Any ideas, thoughts or comments (as long as they are not rude) would be appreciated.

Brian.:scared:

What apart from work are you after? what sort of budget have you got for housing, those sort of factors could shed more light.

Would not be ruling out brisbane on summer heat, sydneys not that much cooler than brisbane in summer and adelaide is often incredibly hot in summer.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:04 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by bjbrian
I am now very confused.
Aged 38, Male, perhaps a little shy and emigrating on my own.
I did the same three years ago at 34. Came to the Adelaide area alone.

Those who know me would say I'm quiet and shy. I used the move to Aus to force myself out of my shell. Met a nice Aussie girl out here (on the net) and we're now married with a 4 month old baby.

I joined the local CFS (volunteer fire brigade) to meet some of the locals and do something interesting and exciting. Most people welcomed me to the area. The majority of people at our brigade grew up someplace else.

Adelaide seems friendly and is a nice small size.
Compared to the other Aus cities it is small, but compared to your average UK city it's huge. What part of Adelaide (or surrounding area) appeals to you ?. My opinion is that if you pick Adelaide's suburbia then you could be in suburbia anywhere in Aus - it'll look and feel the same.
I chose one of Adelaide's satellite towns (Goolwa) - far enough away to be out of the traffic, close enough for occasional trips to the big shops or airport.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

I have been in Sydney 7 months now, if you want to go out for a beer when you get here send me a mail ([email protected]) . I am 37, working for commodity trading company. I have have had no problems meeting people here, anyway there are plenty of English here. Aussies seem pretty friendly too. I came from London and Sydney feels a bit smaller and managable, but with plenty going on.

I have been to Adelaide a few times, seemed a bit quite. I would definetly give Sydney a try, if only from work aspect.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 7:12 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Adelaide - if you have a friend there, it will help you no end to settle in and make friends of your own. I think that will be especially important if you come over on your own, without a partner.

Adelaide is very pleasant, nice wine areas nearby and lovely scenery.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:56 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

SYDNEY SYDNEY! Far better in my opinion. But as was mentioned a few posts back. Budget!! What is it? Do you have hobbies? Football etc etc. If you are shy. I dont believe that any city would be easy for you. But i found Sydney to be a great city. Loads going on. Adelaide i cant comment on too much.I have only spent 1 day night there on my way to Swan Hill(dont go to SH!). Its seemed ok. But quiet. Its a personal choice mate. No one can really tell you what to do. But i will be in Sydney from October the 13th. If you come to Sydney. Then i'll meet ya for a beer. No worries. Mate. I'm 32 and an electrician. Its always good to meet new people. All the best!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi

im also going on my own...lot older than you though and female...so think it will be really tough...i wouldnt go into pub on my own here so def wont do it there..looks like ill be reading a lot of novels..lol

Im hopeing to go to adelaide, mainly because thats where my visa allows me to go, but I have visited a few times and find the people there really friendly, especially in the more remote areas..well i mean three hours out of city..

Im sure you will soon have a wide circle of friends.

good luck

regards

lolly