Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide "slow, complacent and lacking in initiative".

Adelaide "slow, complacent and lacking in initiative".

Old May 12th 2004, 1:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide "slow, complacent and lacking in initiative".

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E421,00.html

Adelaide has 'lost the plot'
By Rebecca Jenkins
May 12, 2004
HE PUT the buzz into Dublin and reinvigorated Manchester, but John Montgomery says South Australia's capital is a lost cause.

The world-renowned urban planner moved from Britain 18 months ago after falling in love with Adelaide - to set up a new office for his consultancy.

But he is so disillusioned he is leaving for Brisbane next month.

"I thought I could come here and do lots of things to help it grow economically and help it become a better city," he said.

He found Adelaide "slow, complacent and lacking in initiative".

He warned that if the city did not change, it would be an "above ground cemetery" in a decade, because small business was not being encouraged, young people had no incentive to stay and new industries were being overlooked.
Old May 12th 2004, 1:35 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adelaide "slow, complacent and lacking in initiative".

Originally posted by bondipom

By Rebecca Jenkins
May 12, 2004
HE PUT the buzz into Dublin and reinvigorated Manchester, but John Montgomery says South Australia's capital is a lost cause.

The world-renowned urban planner moved from Britain 18 months ago after falling in love with Adelaide - to set up a new office for his consultancy.

"I thought I could come here and do lots of things to help it grow economically and help it become a better city," he said.

He warned that if the city did not change, it would be an "above ground cemetery" in a decade, because small business was not being encouraged, young people had no incentive to stay and new industries were being overlooked.
No Podgy Possum to stand up for it.............PP are you there?!!!!
Old May 12th 2004, 1:36 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

By Rebecca Jenkins
May 12, 2004

No Podgy Possum to stick up for Adelaide.......PP are you there??!!
Old May 12th 2004, 1:48 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

By Rebecca Jenkins
May 12, 2004

...and he thinks Brisbane's linear suburban sprawl will be more invigorating???
Old May 12th 2004, 1:54 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

My friends at work (Who are Australians) refer to South Australia
as "Proof that Tasmanians can swim"
Old May 12th 2004, 1:59 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Florida_03
...and he thinks Brisbane's linear suburban sprawl will be more invigorating???
Most people think so. Adelaide has never been known for its dynamism. More wowsers per square mile there than anywhere else in Australia.
Old May 12th 2004, 2:32 am

Originally posted by janeyray
No Podgy Possum to stand up for it.............PP are you there?!!!!
Mr Mover will be able to take her place barring PP coming back over from the "nice side".
Old May 12th 2004, 4:31 am

Originally posted by Ulujain
Most people think so. Adelaide has never been known for its dynamism. More wowsers per square mile there than anywhere else in Australia.
Where has the most Larrikins per square mile?
Old May 12th 2004, 7:14 am
wombat42

Read this, " Adelaide city of corpses".

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...corpses_1.html

Old May 12th 2004, 7:16 am
wombat42

Adelaide(SA) and Tasmania are the poorest states with the least
employment opportunities, but atleast Tasmania has nice scenery.

Old May 12th 2004, 8:12 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I've seen more of Adelaide than I ever want to see. I once walked from north of Gawler to the other side, nearly out to Mt. Barker once years and years ago.

Stranded hitch-hiker, basicly, but the memories of walking of night for miles in the freezing freakin' cold are very vivid.
Old May 12th 2004, 8:40 am
wombat42

Read this," Adelaide city of Corpses"

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...corpses_1.html

Old May 12th 2004, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

I blame it on the ten pound poms who came to Adelaide in their droves looking for a better life but basically stayed stuck in the same self destructive dole-bludger rut even when they were given the opportunity to get out of it. Today they and their offspring inhabit most of the Northern suburbs of Adelaide.

However in Adelaide's defence.......

One thing that everyone fails to mention is the fact that Adelaide is a very beautiful city with a fantastic lifstyle. We would never be able to afford to live in a house or area similar to where we live here, with the same proximity to the city centre.

We live in a large double storey 4 bedroomed house on a quarter of an acre in an upmarket leafy Eastern suburb . It cost us AUD 450,000. In the morning it takes me 6 miuntes to drive from home to my car-park in the city centre.

The equivalent house in Sydney or Melbourne would cost us over AUD 1m and we'd have a 45 minute commute either way.

In my personal opinion Melbourne wins hands down as the ugliest, greyest city with the worst weather. It's also a much shorter swim from Tasmania to Melbourne than it is to Adelaide .......

Old May 12th 2004, 9:55 am

It will be interesting to see if Mitsubishi stay put. Several thousand direct jobs and thousands of more indirect jobs are at risk. Mike Rann has been in Germany pleading Adelaides case.
Old May 12th 2004, 10:17 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sunlover
. It's also a much shorter swim from Tasmania to Melbourne than it is to Adelaide .......
Ah but you see they wanted better weather so they chose SA (Its either that or thats where there cousins lived and they wanted to go and get married)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.