Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

adelaide question

adelaide question

Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice
Default Re: adelaide question

Originally Posted by What_a_life
Please could anyone tell me their opinions on warradale, and also Seaton in Adelaide. We are currently on central coast ,and are planning a reccie in Adelaide in Jan. I would like to be within 15 minutes driving distance of the beach, but also reasonably close to the city,half an hour is fine. Just looking for a nice area,that would be good for a family to live in.. I like the look of glenelg, but am worried it may be a little too pricey house wise.
Many thanks !!
D

Hi
Warradale would be a great place live. 20 mins on the train to the city. 5 mins drive to lovely Brighton beach, 5 -10 mins drive to Glenelg for eating out/drinking. Also about 10 mins drive to Flinders hospital. We lived in Oaklands park, which is next door when we first got here, and it was the best location wise. Also Westfield Marion is 5 mins away. We have friends in Warradale and they have no problems with lovely neightbours. Go for it!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClairePM
Westfield Marion
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hills Boy
So, hospitals? Both private and public all over the Adelaide area. The public ones are run by SA Health, which is the 'Department of Health for South Australia.

As Wendy said you have Flinders, which is to the south of the city, the Repatriation General Hospital which is to the south of city too but closer in than Flinders. Right in the city is the Royal Adelaide Hospital and this is the one that's being rebuilt within a few kms of its current location. Just over the river in North Adelaide is the Women's and Children's Hospital. To the north of the city there are other large hospitals including the Lyall McEwin and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

There are others, but that's the list of main ones and finally here's some information on nursing in South Australia.

Best of luck.
Thanks very much for that,loads of stuff for me to look through.
And thanks also for all other replies.I'm looking forward to getting there, and just having a look around
D.

P.S Have seen a hotel that looks ok, and is pretty cheap, but is in Hindley St, have seen things in the past about how bad it is there. Is it really that bad, or would be ok for a couple of nights?. Or best spend an extra few bucks and look for something in better area? Thanks!!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Have seen a hotel that looks ok, and is pretty cheap, but is in Hindley St, have seen things in the past about how bad it is there. Is it really that bad, or would be ok for a couple of nights?. Or best spend an extra few bucks and look for something in better area? Thanks!!
We've stayed on Hindley Street before and would do again. It's reputation is shocking but there's some good hotels with great deals on them too. I suppose it's whether you'll be coming in late at night etc - that's when it's more likely to be troublesome? We're with our two young children so we're always back in our rooms before 9.30 pm and it's never been a problem.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Originally Posted by jothefw
We've stayed on Hindley Street before and would do again. It's reputation is shocking but there's some good hotels with great deals on them too. I suppose it's whether you'll be coming in late at night etc - that's when it's more likely to be troublesome? We're with our two young children so we're always back in our rooms before 9.30 pm and it's never been a problem.
Thank you for that, we too have 2 young children, so would also be back early.Maybe go with that hotel then,was lots cheaper than the rest.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for that, we too have 2 young children, so would also be back early.Maybe go with that hotel then,was lots cheaper than the rest.
If you did want another family friendly option - the Majestic Apartments in North Adelaide are good. Parking is available and we've had a 2 bed apartment a couple of times which has worked brilliantly. It is in north Adelaide so you're not in the thick of the town, but there's still restaurants etc nearby and free buses into town.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jothefw
We've stayed on Hindley Street before and would do again.
Just a short way from there is the The Strathmore Hotel, at 129 North Terrace.
Great place for a steak, and not too expensive.

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Albert Park (next suburb to Seaton) and it was alright, nothing special. Seaton is a fairly old area with quite a few council house pockets around though slowly these are being demolished to make way for new private houses. It's close to west Lakes and Footy Park and not too far from the beach or the city.
Also used to live at Plympton, which in my opinion was better. Great for the city and the tram, close enough for the beach but without the hustle and bustle of Glenelg. Lived at Glenelg and Glenelg East for a while in the early days and I agree with wendy, too much night activity and far too busy when there's something going on at the bay. Good luck with your move.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:22 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Please could anyone tell me their opinions on warradale, and also Seaton in Adelaide. We are currently on central coast ,and are planning a reccie in Adelaide in Jan. I would like to be within 15 minutes driving distance of the beach, but also reasonably close to the city,half an hour is fine. Just looking for a nice area,that would be good for a family to live in.. I like the look of glenelg, but am worried it may be a little too pricey house wise.
Many thanks !!
D
Have you tried seeing if they will rent you a room inside the Haigh's Chocolate Factory? Satisfaction guaranteed....
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
I used to live in Albert Park (next suburb to Seaton) and it was alright, nothing special. Seaton is a fairly old area with quite a few council house pockets around though slowly these are being demolished to make way for new private houses. It's close to west Lakes and Footy Park and not too far from the beach or the city.
Also used to live at Plympton, which in my opinion was better. Great for the city and the tram, close enough for the beach but without the hustle and bustle of Glenelg. Lived at Glenelg and Glenelg East for a while in the early days and I agree with wendy, too much night activity and far too busy when there's something going on at the bay. Good luck with your move.
Thank you for that. When I say i want to live in a nice area, Im not trying to be snobby,or anything like that,not at all. I just am looking for an area that is safe, and fairly quiet. Back in the uk, one place we lived was next to a very large, very rough housing estate. Every other sat night we would have the police helicopters hovering overhead, stolen cars set fire too at the bottom of the drive every weekend give or take, and even the odd police dog followed by shouts of "go get him,where is he"at 3 am. All very good if you dont mind "cops"being played out in your back garden, !!. So thats why I say Im looking for a nice area, just want to feel safe, and peaceful. So the opinions of glenelg at night are duly noted.
Thanks D x
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 12:09 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that. When I say i want to live in a nice area, Im not trying to be snobby,or anything like that,not at all. I just am looking for an area that is safe, and fairly quiet. Back in the uk, one place we lived was next to a very large, very rough housing estate. Every other sat night we would have the police helicopters hovering overhead, stolen cars set fire too at the bottom of the drive every weekend give or take, and even the odd police dog followed by shouts of "go get him,where is he"at 3 am. All very good if you dont mind "cops"being played out in your back garden, !!. So thats why I say Im looking for a nice area, just want to feel safe, and peaceful. So the opinions of glenelg at night are duly noted.
Thanks D x
I'd say almost anywhere in Adelaide would be better than this! Very community based....sometimes other people know what you've been doing before YOU do lol!

I recommend you take as long as possible before you decide on a permanent base....I was still discovering areas that I prefered to our Suburb (Seaview Downs) two years in!!....plus work location has alot to do with it as Adelaide is a bugger to commute across.

Jan