Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

adelaide question

adelaide question

Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice
Default adelaide question

Please could anyone tell me their opinions on warradale, and also Seaton in Adelaide. We are currently on central coast ,and are planning a reccie in Adelaide in Jan. I would like to be within 15 minutes driving distance of the beach, but also reasonably close to the city,half an hour is fine. Just looking for a nice area,that would be good for a family to live in.. I like the look of glenelg, but am worried it may be a little too pricey house wise.
Many thanks !!
D
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: adelaide question

Never been to either! But I can tell you that popular places like you have described are Somerton Park, Henley Beach, Blackwood forest and Plympton area's

People's taste's are very different though, and what one person likes another may not. Best thing to do is centralise yourself and have a really good look around before you commit to anywhere. Adelaide and it's suburbs are pretty small, and easy to get around so you should be OK to have a really good look around.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by What_a_life
Please could anyone tell me their opinions on warradale, and also Seaton in Adelaide. We are currently on central coast ,and are planning a reccie in Adelaide in Jan. I would like to be within 15 minutes driving distance of the beach, but also reasonably close to the city,half an hour is fine. Just looking for a nice area,that would be good for a family to live in.. I like the look of glenelg, but am worried it may be a little too pricey house wise.
Many thanks !!
D
warradale is rather scruffy and near south rd

Seaton and glenelg are nice areas
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to Adelaide, but I did have a colleague a few years ago who went there for a holiday with his wife and kids, and he reckoned it was DEAD boring with nothing for the kids to do..........but like I said this was a few years ago and maybe now it is the "in" happening place to be..............Caveat Emptor.......

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 27th 2010 at 9:11 am.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 11:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ellie10990
warradale is rather scruffy and near south rd

Seaton and glenelg are nice areas
I think Glenelg is a bit expensive. Nice though, hence I checked some property prices

Cheapest 4 bed house I could find was this one at $1.5million:

Old Nov 27th 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Tina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to behold

You might go a little further north and take a butchers at Grange, West Lakes and Semaphore. Prices are in the 500k plus range (sometimes less) and there are homes within walking distance to the beach. All areas are within a 30 minute drive to the CBD.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tina7
You might go a little further north and take a butchers at Grange, West Lakes and Semaphore. Prices are in the 500k plus range (sometimes less) and there are homes within walking distance to the beach. All areas are within a 30 minute drive to the CBD.
Also seacliff, hallett cove, and marino are nice and all by the beach

I live near these areas so let me know if you need any more info
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Thank you very much for all replies, very helpful, and certainly gives me some areas to focus on.
Is there a big hospital near the cbd. I am planning to take a nursing diploma next year,so obviously will need a hospital where I would be able to do my practical stuff, was just wondering where the local hospital would be,I am assuming that it would be close to Adelaide cbd, but better ask while I am here

Thanks once again
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

[Cheapest 4 bed house I could find was this one at $1.5million:

http://images.domain.com.au/img/2010...85798_1_TE.JPG[/QUOTE]

.mmmmm, maybe not glenelg then, unless OH has won the lotto and is waititng to surprise me
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for all replies, very helpful, and certainly gives me some areas to focus on.
Is there a big hospital near the cbd. I am planning to take a nursing diploma next year,so obviously will need a hospital where I would be able to do my practical stuff, was just wondering where the local hospital would be,I am assuming that it would be close to Adelaide cbd, but better ask while I am here

Thanks once again

Flinders hospital, neat Blackwood Forest is your best bet really. It's south of the city

There are plans to build a new hospital in the city, but not sure of how long that's gonna take.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Thanks once again
So, hospitals? Both private and public all over the Adelaide area. The public ones are run by SA Health, which is the 'Department of Health for South Australia.

As Wendy said you have Flinders, which is to the south of the city, the Repatriation General Hospital which is to the south of city too but closer in than Flinders. Right in the city is the Royal Adelaide Hospital and this is the one that's being rebuilt within a few kms of its current location. Just over the river in North Adelaide is the Women's and Children's Hospital. To the north of the city there are other large hospitals including the Lyall McEwin and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

There are others, but that's the list of main ones and finally here's some information on nursing in South Australia.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:41 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Warradale is an average suburb - most houses date from between the wars, although the ones on larger blocks are being demolished and subdivided into town houses and units. Close to Marion shopping centre which is HUGE - if it's not the largest in SA it's certainly close. Also easy access to Flinders Hospital which is a large teaching hospital associated with Flinders University. Good rail access to the city.

Nowhere near South Road (which is industrial/commercial). 1-2km from Brighton beach, depending on which bit you live in.

My daughter lived in Warradale and worked at Flinders as a radiographer, until the birth of twins made a larger house imperative!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think Glenelg is a bit expensive. Nice though, hence I checked some property prices

Cheapest 4 bed house I could find was this one at $1.5million:

http://images.domain.com.au/img/2010...85798_1_TE.JPG
Where isn't expensive? THe rule is simple: if you can afford it you don't want to live there, if you want to live there you can't afford it.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Where isn't expensive? THe rule is simple: if you can afford it you don't want to live there, if you want to live there you can't afford it.
I can afford to live in my house, and I want to live there.

(and I wouldn't want to live in Glenelg, too many kids getting drunk at the weekends and causing bother!)
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wendy
I can afford to live in my house, and I want to live there.
Same here with me. Life is good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.