Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Perth

Adelaide or Perth

Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Patto118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide or Perth

Would like some members perspectives on the two places, am torn between Perth or Adelaide. I lived in Perth for 9 months joondalup to be exact and although i liked the area, was close to some good beaches and there was a good shopping centre, at times it was very boring.

I have read on some websites that Adelaide is very boring, I am not judging the place on these reviews, as it's what you make of it yourself would just like some info please thanks people.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide or Perth

Define boring.

What I think is boring, you might not and vice versa. So without any idea of what you're looking for it's a huge question.

Personally, I don't have time to be bored, sometimes wish I did
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of agree with Wendy, this question is just too broad and we do not all like the same things or find the same things boring.

But seeing as you didn't like Perth area last time you were there then maybe think about trying somewhere else?
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Good point I think if the two of you were British and I said to you that every day in joondalup was like a Sunday in Britain, you would understand, I am kinda warming to the idea of Adelaide, I just love Australia and anywhere I go I will enjoy, would just love another perspective on it that's all xxx
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Define boring.

What I think is boring, you might not and vice versa. So without any idea of what you're looking for it's a huge question.

Personally, I don't have time to be bored, sometimes wish I did
I was never bored in Adelaide. I loved living there (as I've said loads of times before) and would happily be there again tomorrow if circumstances permitted.
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I kind of agree with Wendy, this question is just too broad and we do not all like the same things or find the same things boring.

But seeing as you didn't like Perth area last time you were there then maybe think about trying somewhere else?
I'm rarely bored in WA, either. The OP said they lived in Joondalup, which is a suburb 35 km from the city. Yes, the 'burbs can be boring, but if they actually lived near Perth and not the outer suburbs they may find more to do.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patto118
Good point I think if the two of you were British and I said to you that every day in joondalup was like a Sunday in Britain, you would understand, I am kinda warming to the idea of Adelaide, I just love Australia and anywhere I go I will enjoy, would just love another perspective on it that's all xxx
I love to drive, so Saturday/Sunday (family commitments permitting) if there's nothing planned I take a drive and see what I can find. I've just bought a new camera so take that with me

I've been to see Kylie and Meatloaf this year at the entertainment centre. I'm going to see Eddie Izzard in November. Got tickets to see Ross Noble at the Fringe festival in March. I went to see my daughter singing in the school music festival last month at the Festival theatre.

During the week, if the weather is nice I take a trip down to the beach after work (I live half hour away). I go for a walk down the promenade and watch the sunset.

I take my daughter out for dinner every Thursday night. We either go to the shopping centre and wander round first, or we go bowling or to the pictures.

We've just started going camping too. Off up to Lake Bonney at Christmas with friends and family. Looking forward to it, had a fantastic time at Easter up at Waikerie.

I'm just learning about all there is to offer here in SA really. Lived here for 5 years, but with a miserable old fart of a husband who's idea of fun is sitting in the back yard with a beer every night and going to be at 9pm so we didn't get out much. Making up for it now I've give him the elbow though

There's loads to do, depends on what your interested in though. I'd be able to help more if I knew what your hobbies are.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that input, my hobbies are playing football, fishing and running, lake joondalup was a fantastic area to jog round, I was there most days after work. I think what am saying is am an active person a lot of the friends I had just wanted to work/drink/work/drink. Am not a big drinker.

I will be going to adelaide regardless, I hear that SA has got 1 of the largest football/soccer leagues in oz, that is right up my street. Whats it like for fishing that sort of thing.

Thanks for the comments 
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Patto118
Thanks for that input, my hobbies are playing football, fishing and running, lake joondalup was a fantastic area to jog round, I was there most days after work. I think what am saying is am an active person a lot of the friends I had just wanted to work/drink/work/drink. Am not a big drinker.

I will be going to adelaide regardless, I hear that SA has got 1 of the largest football/soccer leagues in oz, that is right up my street. Whats it like for fishing that sort of thing.

Thanks for the comments 

Fishing is mediocre I have heard, but it's not something I do so that's only hear say. There's a few sites and forums about, so maybe join and ask a few questions.

http://fishsa.com/
http://www.strikehook.com/

Football is bigger here from what I can gather. Again, not down my alley http://www.ffsa.com.au/

and running, well you can do that anywhere (lots of places to do that here though, see http://www.stepwhere.com/listpaths/c...on/5/city/1312 )

I love SA if that's any help, and I'm never bored (anymore )
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for them websites there really good, am looking forward to Adelaide, a place is what you make of it. I had some great days in Perth and am sure I will have days just as good here.

Thanks for the comments people, they are welcoming and very beneficial.