Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Melbourne?

Adelaide or Melbourne?

Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

MattandCaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide or Melbourne?

Hi all am just after a few pointers on which of these places are better i have had a couple of job offers from companies in both but am undecided on where to start! Any pros and cons would be most appreciated!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Adelaide or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by MattandCaz
Hi all am just after a few pointers on which of these places are better i have had a couple of job offers from companies in both but am undecided on where to start! Any pros and cons would be most appreciated!
Depends.

They are similar cities in climate (more similar than say Melbourne and Brisbane).
Melbourne is of course far bigger so if you enjoy the big city buzz this would be a positive.
Adelaide is of course smaller.
Both have gorgeous beaches.
Melbourne is nearer the snow for winter sports.

BB
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice
Default Re: Adelaide or Melbourne?

Adelaide is serial killer central
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Oh my God - MELBOURNE!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne....goes without saying
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Hi there

I reckon what you need to figure out is what do you want from the area you live in? do you want to be near the beach or out in the bush? What is your budget, are you going to rent or buy? Do want to be near good nightlife or do you want he peace and quiet of rural surrounds? All are important to figure out if you are outlaying a lot of cash to move to that particular area, Adelaide is definitely going to give you more value for money house wise but it doesnt have that big city buzz. Adelaide has that large country town feel, http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...ts/SA/Adelaide. You might even consider the likes of Geelong, http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...ts/VIC/Geelong which is on the coast, unlike Melbourne which is on the Port Phillip pond. Melbourne at the moment has one of the highest average house prices in the country, so you are not going to get that much for your cash as you would in Adelaide, its a tricky decision but i reckon if you do a bit more research it should make the choice a little easier. If you are interested in buying have a look at this for interest rates, http://www.canstar.com.au/interest-r...oan-rates.html.

Good luck

Bob
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:29 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe worth checking out Poms in Adelaide http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/

I like both, but moving to Adelaide later this year. Also have friends who have been there just over a year and have settled in well. Having said that also have friends in Melbourne and they love it there too. I could live in either, but do like Adelaide as you have access to the city and the beach, hills and the vineyards, and like Melbourne has a large fringe and film festivals. It's a tough one for folk to answer.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone can answer for you, would you have opportunity to spend a little bit of time in them both?

I spent a few days in Adelaide on my reccie trip and really liked it, I wouldn't mind living there, I wonder if it doesn't get a tough press. I have some friends who moved out two years ago and they love Adelaide and think it is a brilliant place for their young family. I know another couple who moved there last year, she is from Adelaide originally which is why they ended up there, he is from north of England and he also seems very content with life.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:13 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
Get yer hand off it , tosser..............mm
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Probably like comparing London with Bristol, Obviously Melbourne being the London.
Melbourne has a lot more going on and more cosmopoliton, doesnt mean that Adelaide would be a bad place to live, but depends what you like
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

Its completely subjective, we lived in Melbourne when we first arrived and really didn't settle at all, moved to adelaide and felt like we'd come home.
Guess it depends on so many things, where your from, what you do for a living, how you spend your free time, age, age of family and what you want from a move to a new country ect
Have you done a reckie ? Would it be possible to do one and visit both places? That might give you a feel for each place, but it doesn't paint the perfect picture.
Sometimes it much easier if you don't have to make the decision
Best of luck
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
Its completely subjective, we lived in Melbourne when we first arrived and really didn't settle at all, moved to adelaide and felt like we'd come home.
Guess it depends on so many things, where your from, what you do for a living, how you spend your free time, age, age of family and what you want from a move to a new country ect
Have you done a reckie ? Would it be possible to do one and visit both places? That might give you a feel for each place, but it doesn't paint the perfect picture.
Sometimes it much easier if you don't have to make the decision
Best of luck
Personally I reckon the people in Adelaide are the most similar to people in England.
I cant really explain more than that, but thats my personal perception.

One thing that I feel I need to put forward is how a choice of city in Aus is quite vital to your enjoyment of this country. The Distance between them means that basically where you end up is what your life really is. IMO the smaller the city the less choices there are, it's that simple really. Hence personally as I like a lot of varied things, especially different foreign foods and exposure to cultures etc, for me I'm sure only Melbourne and Sydney would cut it.

I dont mind Adelaide at all though, It's a lot better than most cities in the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
Ignore this, 11 years ago there was a series of murders. the killer/s have been caught. The crime stats in Adelaide are lower than in Melbourne because Melbourne is a bigger city.

If you want to check crime stats don't take the word of people with an axe to grind. Pun intended.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

MattandCaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all thanks for all the pointers it is much appreciated!
im coming on a working holiday to start with so will probably end up doing 3 months in each, although Melbourne is still just top of my list as my trade (Floor Finisher) is on the victorian state sponsorship list so if all goes well will be looking at getting my 176.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Hi all thanks for all the pointers it is much appreciated!
im coming on a working holiday to start with so will probably end up doing 3 months in each, although Melbourne is still just top of my list as my trade (Floor Finisher) is on the victorian state sponsorship list so if all goes well will be looking at getting my 176.
Three months in each place is a great plan if you want to get a good idea both areas. My advice is to go where your best chance of good employment is: getting the money part sorted isn't everything, sure, but it goes a long way to getting settled and enjoying life. I live near one of your choices - serial killer central, if you listen to the numptys on here. Good luck to you wherever you end up. Either way enjoy Australia and all it has to offer: get stuck into life here and it's difficult not to have a good time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.