Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Melbourne?

Adelaide or Melbourne?

Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

deftymarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide or Melbourne?

Hi everyone,

We have the opportunity to move to Australia within 6 months on a STNI visa as my husband is a motor mechanic.

Taking into consideration Mechanic jobs, cost of renting 2 to 3 bed accomodation and being fairly central with decent schools (2 girls ages 4 and 8) would you recommed Adelaide or Melbourne?

Thanks for any comments
Marie & Darrin

Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Ive never been to Adelaide but moved to Melbourne 5 years ago from Scotland & love it here. I would reckon simply on size of the cities there would be far more choice in Melbourne.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide or Melbourne?

Hiya

Have you checked out the job sites, www.careerone.com.au, www.mycareer.com.au, ww.seek.com.au? Also, for property prices, check out www.realestate.com.au and domain.com.au.

Adelaide is certainly the cheaper of the two and apparently the weather is better there. It depends what you're after in terms of lifestyle really and how much you can afford etc.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide or Melbourne?

Melbourne and Adelaide have to be the best two cities you could chose in Australia. I am slightly biased as I grew up in Adelaide, but its a great place for a family, and affordable. And it doesnt rain as much as melbourne. But on the other hand, all the young people defect to Melbourne as its much more cosmopolitan, really fantastic and happening city, though more expensive. If you chose either you would love it - and they are only 8 hours drive apart (with not much inbetween!).
Old Mar 1st 2004, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I have some more opinions on whether you consider Adelaide or melbourne the best overall for family life . Adelaide has better weather by the sounds of it. We have finally decided to go to one or the other( Have decided Brisbane too hot in summer - Coulnt handle 5 kids and maybe wife complaining about the heat). thanks
Graham
Old Mar 1st 2004, 4:45 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by glhall
Can I have some more opinions on whether you consider Adelaide or melbourne the best overall for family life . Adelaide has better weather by the sounds of it. We have finally decided to go to one or the other( Have decided Brisbane too hot in summer - Coulnt handle 5 kids and maybe wife complaining about the heat). thanks
Graham
I am sure both have excellent family areas but it will probably come down to affordability. State your budget and housing requirement and PP and gang will come up with the Adelaide stuff and I am sure the Mexicans will come up with the rest.

What makes a family area for you?
Old Mar 1st 2004, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by glhall
Graham
Just today I spent lunchtime with a Pom lady who lived in Adelaide for 8 years, prior to moving up here. From what she says Adelaide has very hot summers too, she says its a drier heat but like walking into a furnace> It was the reason they moved up here! Like Melb I think this summer has been pretty Mild apart from a short spell. Just cause Brisvegas got the heat this year does not mean its the only place that boils. Seriously if Heat is a concern I'd be checking out the temps a bit more. Melb is more erratic, 21 one day 35 the next, but the hot spells are far less frequent.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread. I have been out entertaining my grandaughter.

I am not really qualified to answer the comparison between here (Adelaide) and Melbourne because i have never been to the latter city yet. (going within the next couple of weeks though)

All i can tell you is how i have found Adelaide after spending my first summer here. Yes, it does get incredibly hot at times....BUT..it is not like this constantly. You may have the odd day or two, but it normally cools back down to the mid to high 20s. I have asked several aussies about this and they say that in general what i have said is correct, although this summer has been quite mild and hteres been less very hot days than normal.
Because it is a dry heat i find it perfectly comfortable even in the early 30s providing i dont race about in a hurry!!!
If you have the good sense to buy or rent a house with aircon and the same with a car, you should be fine.

As for the family life question, i don't think you could live anywhere more suitable than Adelaide. I am only just finding this out for myself with my grandaughter, but many of the Adelaide Brits members will confirm this too as they all have kids of varying ages.
The place is full of clubs for kids ie, sports, play and education wise. Every beach i have been to along the coastline is suitable for kids swimming, and theres lots of playgrounds and swimming pools too.
We have the zoo in the city, several wildlife parks and lots of other interesting places to visit for a day out of the city.

I hope this is of some help. Melbourne will probably have lots of great thing too, but as i said, i cannot comment until i have been there.

hugs

Nicki
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

chloet is an unknown quantity at this point

Having lived in Adelaide I can say that the summers are increibly hot. Real scorchers and the winters are freezing...The wind really gets into your bones...
Although Adelaide is a beautiful city (lots of parks and greenery) I found it to be really quiet and dull...Not much happening..But then it really depends what you want doesnt it ??? Adelaide is just to small for me and if you dont have a car it is hard to get about as the public transport system is pretty bad...Probably great for families with a car !!! We dont have any children and are planning on going to Melbourne...I think that there are more employment opportunties avialable in a larger city...
Chloe...
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by chloet
Having lived in Adelaide I can say that the summers are increibly hot. Real scorchers and the winters are freezing...The wind really gets into your bones...
Although Adelaide is a beautiful city (lots of parks and greenery) I found it to be really quiet and dull...Not much happening..But then it really depends what you want doesnt it ??? Adelaide is just to small for me and if you dont have a car it is hard to get about as the public transport system is pretty bad...Probably great for families with a car !!! We dont have any children and are planning on going to Melbourne...I think that there are more employment opportunties avialable in a larger city...
Chloe...

Chloe

How long is it since you lived here?

The transport system is fantastic!! They even have a special bus service at night which drops people right off at their front door if requested!
Trams run every 10mins or so. Buses are EVERYWHERE, and the train system seems to run ok although i havent used them (always getting stuck on the railway crossings waiting for them to go by though!)

When you say it is not big enough, in what way do you mean? I come from London and i don't find it too small. I also do not find it dull. There is a heap load of nightclubs, bars and restaurants all over Adelaide. There is every facility that you will find in any other larger (geographically) city.
Chinatown restaurants serve until 2am!!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:37 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[to small for me and if you dont have a car it is hard to get about as the public transport system is pretty bad... quote...........................compared to where? BANGKOK........... mm
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Yes, you have some points there ..Perhaps I am way to used to big city life after having lived in Bangkok, Tokyo, Amsterdam etc...
And although I did live in Adelaide a long time ago (20 years) I find when I visit that very little has changed...
I always stay at my brother's house which is in Greenwith (Golden Grove area) and I find myself quite stranded after he goes to work in the morning (usually get him to give me a lift to the Golden Grove village where I can get the O-Ban into the city...But my point is if I dont catch a lift with him in the morning the bus to the village only comes every 30 mins or so. (or have to walk for about 40 mins)...Have friends who live in Athelstone and have to take a cab to their home (about 35$) or it will take hours to get to their place...from Greenwith on public transport.
All the above problems could be solved with a car but niether myself or my husband drives...Chloe....
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I see what you mean Chloe..Golden Grove is a fair way out of the city though isnt it? I have not been up to Goldne Grove yet. I have heard its not that great up there, but i have found our side of the city (Glenelg) and most of the eastern and southern suburbs are extremely well serviced in public transport and facilities.

I really must take a drive up that way and have a look.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi Podgey Possum,
Yes, do go up and how a look at the Golden Grove area...Actually its really quite a nice, new area with lots of amenties for families with children...But you defintently need a car to live there...My niece is just about to turn 16 and a car is the first thing on her birthday list..Apparently Golden Grove has won awards as best designed new suburb or something...
And about you having never visited Golden Grove yet..Well last time I was in Adelaide I wanted to visit Unley rd/King William rd area as I hadnt been to these places in many years...My sister-in-law kindly offered to drive me...What a disaster that was...It took over two hours to get there by car and we got lost on the way many times..Turns out although my sister-in-law is 44 and has lived in Adelaide all of her life (and never anywhere else)she had not a clue where Unley Rd was as she had never been there herself (she grew up in Angle Park). It was my niece's first trip there too and we had a great time...I suspose anywhere in the world people tend to stay around where they live but if you have a car in Adelaide the distances between suburbs are not that great...
By the way I think Glengl is a great place..The tram is fantastic...
Chloe....
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Aother question Podgey Possum what area of Adelaide are you living in??? Norwood or Burnside??? Chloe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.