Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide for me (and the family)

Adelaide for me (and the family)

Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Cas to Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide for me (and the family)

My family are just commencing the VISA application process with a hoped for move to Adelaide. Why Adelaide? Well my wife has an aunt/uncle and two married cousins living there and they have all recently visited the UK and whetted our appetite to move out there.

The relatives live in Windsor Gardens and Happy Valley. Does anyone have any information about these areas? What other areas are classed as 'middle class' - I hate that term but its the only way I can express the area we would like to settle in.

As I understand it, Adelaide is seen as one of the quieter cities, and this is what we want. I am 41 and my wife is 38 with two daughters aged 11 and 6 so what we want is a quiet area, good local schools, decent leisure facilities and sunshine. So what is out there ?

If anyone has comments to make on Adelaide please get in touch.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

heading_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adelaide for me (and the family)

Hi there

I am intending to go out to Adelaide too, hopefully around the end of this year. During my research I stumbled upon this link:

http://www.southaustralia.com/brochures.asp

I sent off for a few of the brochures and I found the Adelaide and Suburbs map very useful in familiarising myself with the various locations etc. I also got the Starter Pack, the Adelaide Secret Visitor Guide and the Hip Guide to Adelaide. Check these links too:

http://www.southaustralia.com

http://www.sacentral.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm

So when do you think you will be moving to Adelaide? I am currently applying for the SIR visa and am at the stage of having sent off my meds and police checks.

HD
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Hello HD,

Thanks for the information, it's really appreciated.

We are at the commencement of the process. We visited an Migration Company in mid December - which a colleague succesfully used - and signed up a week later. I am asking my mates if any know of a JP to sign the copies of the various forms - being from Yorkshire I'm not going to part with money to a Solicitor if I can find a JP that will sign 'em for nowt - so I can get them back to the Migration Company asap.

Hopefully with a fair wind, bit of luck, getting all the information together and a quick house sale we hope to go late this year/early next year.

We have never been to Australia, so we will just pack up and head off and meet the challenge of a new start.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Hi we are also hoping to go to Adelaide, just starting out but hope to be there in 2005.I was directed to a site called adelaidebrits forum for people in Adelaide or wanting to move I have found it useful to look at local issues. I also sent off for the maps and brochures very useful too. You can get them sent to you via the web site. Also worth searching for the meet and greet facility not sure if its SA or Adelaide that offer this but the option is there. Some experiences of meet'n' great on adelaidebrits.
Happy hunting Chris
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:30 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Cas to Oz
My family are just commencing the VISA application process with a hoped for move to Adelaide. Why Adelaide? Well my wife has an aunt/uncle and two married cousins living there and they have all recently visited the UK and whetted our appetite to move out there.

The relatives live in Windsor Gardens and Happy Valley. Does anyone have any information about these areas? What other areas are classed as 'middle class' - I hate that term but its the only way I can express the area we would like to settle in.

As I understand it, Adelaide is seen as one of the quieter cities, and this is what we want. I am 41 and my wife is 38 with two daughters aged 11 and 6 so what we want is a quiet area, good local schools, decent leisure facilities and sunshine. So what is out there ?

If anyone has comments to make on Adelaide please get in touch.
l would'nt move to Adelaide just because you have a few relatives there.
Yes Adelaide is a quite city, some say a boring city. You should check out the
rest of Australia as well as Adelaide, There are plenty of regional areas or
regional cities in Vic, NSW or QLD that are quite, have fantastic scenery, great beaches and all the facitlities you need.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:01 pm
My thumbs have gone weird

thepoacher is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Adelaide for me (and the family)

I lived in Adelaide when I was 9 years old for a few years (althought this was back in the late eighties early nighties).

I realise areas in all cities differ but I can honeslty say it was brilliant.
Lived in Everard Park for a while (which I think is a middle class type area) and then Glandore (older, probably slightly rougher area) and found both areas to be perfectly safe with plenty to do. There were plenty of parks littered around to go and play at and the streets were safe for me to ride my bike to/from and after school everyday with most areas having a sizeable neighbourhood watch schemes.
I can't comment on what it's like to live there from an adults point of view (housing, jobs etc) but your kids should have a great time.

Enjoy.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:17 pm
Ready to Jaunt

Starcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello HD,

Thanks for the information, it's really appreciated.

We are at the commencement of the process. We visited an Migration Company in mid December - which a colleague succesfully used - and signed up a week later. I am asking my mates if any know of a JP to sign the copies of the various forms - being from Yorkshire I'm not going to part with money to a Solicitor if I can find a JP that will sign 'em for nowt - so I can get them back to the Migration Company asap.

Hopefully with a fair wind, bit of luck, getting all the information together and a quick house sale we hope to go late this year/early next year.

We have never been to Australia, so we will just pack up and head off and meet the challenge of a new start.
Hi. Just a thought - we couldn't find a JP in the UK so we used our local Bank Manager (as per guidelines) for certification. No charge so nice to get something back from the bank! This was accepted by London.

I lived in rural SA for 10 years and visited Adelaide often - beautiful city, beautiful beaches and plenty to do. I liked it. I also lived in Glenelg for a while - excellent tram service to city, loads of restaurants, bars and lovely beach.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

wombat you are a scamp

i live in adelaide have a university degree and have a good job, the people here are fantastic, they are very friendly even the ones waiting to die as you so nicely put it and i havnt seen these people who look like weirdos and are on drugs but ill keep my eyes peeled

adelaide has a beautiful landscape especially the flinders ranges down to victor harbour and has some of the best wine growning regions in all of australia

and talk of bikie gangs, my other half has a very big bike (no not me) and all of the bikies we have met are great

life where ever you go will have problems but until you live there and experience a certain place you wont know what to expect

can honestly say wouldnt want to live anywhere else at the moment

arlene
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

heading_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

It's good to hear such positive things about Adelaide as I'm at the stage where I am now starting to get the collywobbles about taking such a big step. (Anticipating the $100K bond request shortly) :scared:

But the Adelaidebrits site (mentioned above) has been helpful to me too in my research. The exact link is:

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx

Good luck to all those in the same boat....

- the HD household (which consists of moi and one elderly moggie!)
Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Glad to hear so many positive things about Adelaide.

In response to Wombat, one of the strong reasons in wanting to relocate in Adelaide is because although I couldn't give a damn about knowing anyone wherever we relocate, it is important to me that my wife has close relatives for support. I have met the relatives and they are fantastic, friendly and cannot wait for us to relocate there.

I have studied plans of the area, got first hand knowledge about the city and suburbs and the place seems an ideal fit for our needs. Who knows in years to come we may move on to NSW or Qld.

To be perfectly honest I would be happy to settle anywhere in Oz, but Adelaide seems perfect.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:51 am
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road

In response to Wombat, one of the strong reasons in wanting to relocate in Adelaide is because although I couldn't give a damn about knowing anyone wherever we relocate, it is important to me that my wife has close relatives for support. I have met the relatives and they are fantastic, friendly and cannot wait for us to relocate there.

I have studied plans of the area, got first hand knowledge about the city and suburbs and the place seems an ideal fit for our needs. Who knows in years to come we may move on to NSW or Qld.

To be perfectly honest I would be happy to settle anywhere in Oz, but Adelaide seems perfect.

Hi there
Noticed you from Yorkshire - we are in York and got ALL our stuff certified at Fulford police station and didn't have to pay a penny!
Do you know there is meeting for people moving to Adelaide on the 29/1/04 near Leeds/Bradford Airport. Let me know if you want details
Good Luck
Jeanette
Old Jan 5th 2005, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jjj
Hi there
Noticed you from Yorkshire - we are in York and got ALL our stuff certified at Fulford police station and didn't have to pay a penny!
Do you know there is meeting for people moving to Adelaide on the 29/1/04 near Leeds/Bradford Airport. Let me know if you want details
Good Luck
Jeanette
Jeanette,

Thanks for the offer.

We would be delighted to attend such a meeting. Could you please forward details such as location, time etc. and what will be discussed.

Are you going to put the details on this message thread or do you need my home email address?

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2005, 12:57 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Having arrived in Adelaide myself in September 2004 (btw also from Yorkshire!), I'd say that your point about family support is a very good one. I was able to stay with my sister until I moved into my own place just before Christmas and count myself very lucky to have had her there to 'show me the ropes' on all sorts of practical matters from finding my way round the city to getting my Medicare card, and finding a good place to get my car windows tinted!

Do take a look on Adelaidebrits but if you want to know anything specific that you can't find here or over there, post a question or pm one of us who are already here - we'll do our best to help.

Just wondered, is Cas connected with your name or does it by any chance stand for Castleford? There's a few folk from that area heading for Adelaide/already here.

Good luck with your plans,

Elaine M
Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the comments Elaine,

Yes, I am from Castleford - that jewel of the north. And typically being from Cas I haven't got a clue what 'PM' means, so could you explain, as I don't think it means contact Tony Blair for advice..

I will visit the Adelaidebrits site and see which people from around the Cas area have found the escape tunnel from the UK.

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:18 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Thanks for the comments Elaine,

Yes, I am from Castleford - that jewel of the north. And typically being from Cas I haven't got a clue what 'PM' means, so could you explain, as I don't think it means contact Tony Blair for advice..

I will visit the Adelaidebrits site and see which people from around the Cas area have found the escape tunnel from the UK.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Sorry for not explaining, PM means "personal message" which is a message you can send each other, like an email, without it appearing on the forum - used for things you think are not relevant to everyone, for example, or slightly off the topic.

If you click on someone's name you can see their profile and get the option to send them a PM (I think - not done it for a while on here!)

We had a meet up in Castleford last year for prospective Adelaide Brits, that's how I know there are a few from around there here/heading here.

Elaine M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.