Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide houses down 2.5% in June

Adelaide houses down 2.5% in June

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:30 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide houses down 2.5% in June

Originally Posted by asprilla
In my opinion (and I could be wrong ) the US is a special case because of the way that the home loans work there.

As I understand it, a homeowner can simply stop making repayments to the bank and the bank will "foreclose" with no further recourse on the homeowner, even if the sale of the foreclosed property doesn't recover enough to repay the loan.

When the above starts to become a common occurrence, then supply increases massively and prices plummet. To the point where many houses are priced well under their "value".

In Australia (and most other countries, I think) if you stop making repayments, the bank will repossess the home and sell it, and come after you for the $$$ if the sale doesn't pay off the loan. Prices are far less volatile as a result.

You will notice lots of words like "I think", "I believe" and "as I understand it" in the above paragraphs. Some cynical readers may think that's because I don't really know what I'm talking about... They might be right, ha ha.
Good points but a little incomplete. Loans to unqualified buyers certainly played a role. Walking away or "handing over the keys" on a mortgage destroys a credit rating and frequently involves bankruptcy. Part of the bubble was housing prices rising far faster than prevailing wages, which I take to mean the houses were never really worth their top prices anyway.
One other factor (among others) was during the run up in prices new homes were being built faster than the market could absorb them. Info only, it would seem that after many years (5 to 8 depending on location) prices have finally hit bottom and are slowly beginning to creep up. Now if the Eurozone doesn't go tits up...
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I also question the link because there are so many other factors like total collapse of buyer demand, equity release binges, wage freezes, stagnancy of real wages, massive inflation in other markets, all of which can put downward pressure on housing stock without a single redundancy.

Aus houses are now amongst the least affordable in the world and the only way is down. Look at the global economy - look at the EU, look at China. To think Aus houses can continue to climb is really mad.
"Continue to climb" ? Prices have been slowly easing for almost 2 years now in Brisbane with wages increasing...that process could just continue for x years like it has in previous times so no saying which way it will happen. First home buyers I know are still getting on the ladder just starting more modestly.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:15 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
"Continue to climb" ? Prices have been slowly easing for almost 2 years now in Brisbane with wages increasing...that process could just continue for x years like it has in previous times so no saying which way it will happen. First home buyers I know are still getting on the ladder just starting more modestly.
This is what I mean - thinking they can just go up and up is crazy.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
This is what I mean - thinking they can just go up and up is crazy.
I don't many who think that but always a few I guess. Not a big believer in the other extreme either that it must crash rather than deflate/stagnate for a while...many things could happen and people who hang their hat on one are usually being dogmatic.