Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide and Environs - Schooling

Adelaide and Environs - Schooling

Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Adelaide and Environs - Schooling

Okay all, you'll have to forgive me for starting this thread, but I am just having a moment of the colly-wobbles. I realise there have been schooling type threads before, but I've just been talking to OH and getting worried about my 2 girls, aged 8 and 5.

It's getting ever closer - we are emigrating in August to Adelaide. We have never been to Adelaide before (we know the Brisbane/Cleveland/Birkdale/Ormiston areas); but have decided to start with Adelaide hoping it will be a better bet for our family in terms of climate, places to live etc, etc. Hey, going that far across the globe we can always move up to Queensland if SA doesn't do it for us... I'm already worried enough that we are 2 professional people giving us well paid jobs with nothing to go to; that will all start when we get there! Talk about the feeling of free-falling; I did do a parachute jump once and this feels a million times worse!

My colly-wobbles are around schools for our children - I've searched the SA website, but as I do not even know the areas around Adelaide and the Hills, I have no idea which schools to look at to try and assess. I cannot tell if they even mention school ratings along the lines of our Ofsted inspections etc. My worry is that (probably along with many English children) I'm expecting my kids to already be working to a higher standard than their co-horts in Oz. When my daughter was 7, her teachers told us she had the reading age of 10; and she's similarly advanced mathematically - and hearing of the later start etc in Oz schools, I'm worried she'll end up bored, not learning, possibly misbehaving etc as a result. I want her to be stretched educationally so that she can achieve her potential. This is not a pushy Mum, my daughter loves learning and has wanted to be a dentist since she was tiny - if she gets there I'll be so chuffed for her!

When in Queensland last summer we visited a school, and the Deputy Head (or whatever called) told us they usually put English children in at least a year higher than their age, due to the educational differences. Has anyone else experienced this and to what effect? I'm worried that if my daughter is with older children in class, this could have negative effects in other areas - such as possible bullying, not age appropriate in terms of social issues, graduating at an early age etc.

Do we have to consider private education to ensure she's appropriately educated, what are the average costs of this, as not sure it will be affordable? Has anyone else done this for similar reasons?

Sorry for sounding such a wuss, but I hope you understand my worries.

Thanks - from tired and emotional...
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:45 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide and Environs - Schooling

Have you tried the FAQ section here
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits
...................mm
Old Apr 5th 2007, 11:53 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jojosan
Okay all, you'll have to forgive me for starting this thread, but I am just having a moment of the colly-wobbles. I realise there have been schooling type threads before, but I've just been talking to OH and getting worried about my 2 girls, aged 8 and 5.

It's getting ever closer - we are emigrating in August to Adelaide. We have never been to Adelaide before (we know the Brisbane/Cleveland/Birkdale/Ormiston areas); but have decided to start with Adelaide hoping it will be a better bet for our family in terms of climate, places to live etc, etc. Hey, going that far across the globe we can always move up to Queensland if SA doesn't do it for us... I'm already worried enough that we are 2 professional people giving us well paid jobs with nothing to go to; that will all start when we get there! Talk about the feeling of free-falling; I did do a parachute jump once and this feels a million times worse!

My colly-wobbles are around schools for our children - I've searched the SA website, but as I do not even know the areas around Adelaide and the Hills, I have no idea which schools to look at to try and assess. I cannot tell if they even mention school ratings along the lines of our Ofsted inspections etc. My worry is that (probably along with many English children) I'm expecting my kids to already be working to a higher standard than their co-horts in Oz. When my daughter was 7, her teachers told us she had the reading age of 10; and she's similarly advanced mathematically - and hearing of the later start etc in Oz schools, I'm worried she'll end up bored, not learning, possibly misbehaving etc as a result. I want her to be stretched educationally so that she can achieve her potential. This is not a pushy Mum, my daughter loves learning and has wanted to be a dentist since she was tiny - if she gets there I'll be so chuffed for her!

When in Queensland last summer we visited a school, and the Deputy Head (or whatever called) told us they usually put English children in at least a year higher than their age, due to the educational differences. Has anyone else experienced this and to what effect? I'm worried that if my daughter is with older children in class, this could have negative effects in other areas - such as possible bullying, not age appropriate in terms of social issues, graduating at an early age etc.

Do we have to consider private education to ensure she's appropriately educated, what are the average costs of this, as not sure it will be affordable? Has anyone else done this for similar reasons?

Sorry for sounding such a wuss, but I hope you understand my worries.

Thanks - from tired and emotional...
If you do a search on here there are loads of threads about education.One posted recently had a list of schools for gifted children,and I know there were a few in Adelaide.There are many church and private schools here also.AFAIK there are no league tables in the public domain.
I have a friend who is planning to send her three children to a church school,believe the cost is around $400 per term for the first child,after that each child gets a reduced rate.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjs
If you do a search on here there are loads of threads about education.One posted recently had a list of schools for gifted children,and I know there were a few in Adelaide.There are many church and private schools here also.AFAIK there are no league tables in the public domain.
I have a friend who is planning to send her three children to a church school,believe the cost is around $400 per term for the first child,after that each child gets a reduced rate.
The schools for gifted children in Adelaide have wait lists. My daughter was in a gifted stream in Canada, and when we went to enrol here here were told she would be added to the list. 8 months on we haven't heard anything. Mostly you want to know what area you will be living in before you look at schools.