Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Active Visa In Out Of Date Passport.

Active Visa In Out Of Date Passport.

Old May 26th 2006, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice
Default Active Visa In Out Of Date Passport.

I emailed immigration yesterday to find out if having an active, In date visa (2003 - 2008) in an old passport would be a problem.

I now have 1 out of date passport containing a visa till 2008, and a new passport without!

What are the implications of this? Do I just carry both passports, physically move it myself, or send it off to someone?

I'm sure this has happened to someone before. So it would be great to see if anyone has known of this.

I think this is my final hurdle as I've sorted out everything else (touch wood)

Liam
Old May 26th 2006, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Active Visa In Out Of Date Passport.

Originally Posted by Liamruscoe
I emailed immigration yesterday to find out if having an active, In date visa (2003 - 2008) in an old passport would be a problem.

I now have 1 out of date passport containing a visa till 2008, and a new passport without!

What are the implications of this? Do I just carry both passports, physically move it myself, or send it off to someone?

I'm sure this has happened to someone before. So it would be great to see if anyone has known of this.

Liam
You can carry both passports around - or I'm pretty sure you can get it transferred. Exactly how? Sorry - don't know.
Old May 26th 2006, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

tical is an unknown quantity at this point

Liam
I am in the states but I think this also applies to you

1)You can take both passports with you, I did it without any problem or
2)You can send both pps with a letter to the Aussie embassy and they will paste it on the new pp.

According the embassy staff here first time it is free after that they hit you with a nominal charge.
Old May 26th 2006, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice

Originally Posted by tical
I am in the states but I think this also applies to you

1)You can take both passports with you, I did it without any problem or
2)You can send both pps with a letter to the Aussie embassy and they will paste it on the new pp.

According the embassy staff here first time it is free after that they hit you with a nominal charge.
Cheers

So I would think for the sake of just this one trip its better to just take both of them, because there is the obvious risk of 'lost in post' that I think, with everything now sorted, I would do better to avoid.

Anyone know if the same applies to US as to AUS?

Liam
Old May 26th 2006, 5:55 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Liam
Carry both...easy

nope it is that easy...and is upto your 5 yr PR, then you have to factor in costs.................
Old May 26th 2006, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

jdjnr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sandra
Carry both...easy

nope it is that easy...and is upto your 5 yr PR, then you have to factor in costs.................

Hi Liam,

Probably been said already but yeah you can just carry both! When you get to Australia you can just walk into any DIMIA office and they will put a label in your new passport - takes about 5 mins!!

Jon
Old May 31st 2006, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdjnr
Hi Liam,

Probably been said already but yeah you can just carry both! When you get to Australia you can just walk into any DIMIA office and they will put a label in your new passport - takes about 5 mins!!

Jon

But I think they charge $75. I went in a while ago with my sons as his original passport had expired. Someome on this site said they should do it for free but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old May 31st 2006, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
But I think they charge $75. I went in a while ago with my sons as his original passport had expired. Someome on this site said they should do it for free but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Yes it was JAJ who said they would do it for free. Can you please tell me where is says this somewhere as they still want $75 from me.
Old May 31st 2006, 7:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was JAJ who said they would do it for free. Can you please tell me where is says this somewhere as they still want $75 from me.
Don't know where it says it but I ahd mine transferred to my new passport for free at the Brisbane office. The helpline quoted me $120 but it didn't cost anything.
Is it just a case of expired passport, need label in new one? Which office did you go to?
Old May 31st 2006, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't know where it says it but I ahd mine transferred to my new passport for free at the Brisbane office. The helpline quoted me $120 but it didn't cost anything.
Is it just a case of expired passport, need label in new one? Which office did you go to?
Yes it was just an expired passport. My son's first passport was only valid for 5 years so we had to get a new one. We went to Southport.
Old May 31st 2006, 8:07 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was just an expired passport. My son's first passport was only valid for 5 years so we had to get a new one. We went to Southport.
I've searched the DIMA site but not found the answer yet! I suggest emailing them and asking them? The Southport office probably doesn't do many so they may not know. Can you get into the Brisbane office?
AFAIK there is no charge for a PR visa label, but an email might produce the answer!
Old May 31st 2006, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

But I will be able to get into the country just carrying the 2 passports right?

Thats all im worried about at the moment

Liam
Old May 31st 2006, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

I just had my VISA transfered from my old passport to my new one in the Perth DIMIA office and it was free.
Old May 31st 2006, 8:17 am
Home and Happy

Not listed in the fees list either.....
Its $70 for "evidence of Perm Resid status (see page 10 of the Fees and Charges document........) but that isn't what you want. that is probably what they THINK you want!
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf

I suggest an email to DIMA explaining exactly what you need - just a label stuck in a new passport for your child as his old passport has expired. Tell them what you have been quoted, and you by, and lets see what they say. Make it clear that you just need a reprinted label, NOT an actual statement confirming residence in Australia.

Let the forum know the answer ..........
Old May 31st 2006, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not listed in the fees list either.....
Its $70 for "evidence of Perm Resid status (see page 10 of the Fees and Charges document........) but that isn't what you want. that is probably what they THINK you want!
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf

I suggest an email to DIMA explaining exactly what you need - just a label stuck in a new passport for your child as his old passport has expired. Tell them what you have been quoted, and you by, and lets see what they say. Make it clear that you just need a reprinted label, NOT an actual statement confirming residence in Australia.

Let the forum know the answer ..........
O.K. Will Do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.