Reload this Page >

Activate bank account when validating

Activate bank account when validating

Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:54 am
Just Joined

peeps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Activate bank account when validating

Hi,

We will be over in Australia to validate our visa in a couple of months. We have opened a bank account already. Should we bother providing our id's etc etc when we are over and getting the account opened officially or will we wait til we have moved there permanently?? Just thinking it would be one less job to do when we move over to live??
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:30 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activate bank account when validating

We did, as well as getting driving licences, medicare cards etc. Every little helps to lessen the number of things that have to be done when you *really* arrive.

And don't forget that you should arrange private health insurance within a year of arriving, if you are over 30, to avoid the age premium loading.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by peeps
Hi,

We will be over in Australia to validate our visa in a couple of months. We have opened a bank account already. Should we bother providing our id's etc etc when we are over and getting the account opened officially or will we wait til we have moved there permanently?? Just thinking it would be one less job to do when we move over to live??
I would do as much as you can so when you get here you can concentrate on settling in rather than running around doing all that stuff. Bear in mind some banks charge you for current accounts so obviously you might incur charges.

Good luck
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
I would do as much as you can so when you get here you can concentrate on settling in rather than running around doing all that stuff. Bear in mind some banks charge you for current accounts so obviously you might incur charges.

Good luck
It only takes about 3 minutes, so I wouldn't worry either way. One consideration though is that they (Commonwealth Bank) need an address to send your bank card and PIN to. If you've not go an address in Oz yet, it may be a wasted visit.

Z
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I did think I would need an address but we have a friend there who im sure would not mind if we used theirs. I never even thought about driving licenses and medicare card - again, the same problem would arise regarding an address wouldn't it?

Any other tips would be appreciated - getting a sim card for phone???? Anything else???

Thanks.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:17 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely *not* apply for a medicare card while you're on a visa validation trip!

The form asks your for your entry date into Australia. And if you're over 30 the clock starts ticking then for the one year rule: Basically, if you're over 30 your premiums for private health cover get loaded for each year you're over 30. But if you're an immigrant and over 30, you get one year's grace to sign up for private cover without any premium loading - irrespective of how many years over 30 you are.

Wait to apply for your medicare card until you've arrived permanently. Then you can put that date down as your entry date.

Hope the above makes sense.

I would also not apply for a driving licence on a visa validation trip. In Oz, you don't get a "permanent" driving licence. You buy one for one year or for five years and then have to buy a new one. If you get one on your visa validation trip, the time to pay again will come round much quicker - really not worth it.

I *would* activate the bank account if you can put enough money into it so you don't have to pay monthly charges. Once the account is activated and you've got internet banking set up, you can use the electronic payment facilities. That could be handy if you need to pay a rental deposit or whatever before you arrive - no messing around with paying from a UK bank, you can just use your Oz account.

Gina
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Thnaks Gina. Makes perfect sense
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends, of course, what sort of interval there is between validation and becoming an inmate <g>.

The medical insurance thing is rather typical of the "Australian Way": I asked at higher and higher levels exactly when the clock started ticking and eventually had a call from some junior minister who had to admit they hadn't really thought that much about the difference between validating and "arriving" so to be on the safe side call the validation trip the entry time!