Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Acreage South West WA

Acreage South West WA

Old Apr 9th 2005, 6:29 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Acreage South West WA

We only have a fairly small garden here but still manage to grow a lot of our veg and would like to do more to be self sufficient, would like something larger maybe even a small holding if we get our visa.
But we don't want to be to far from the beach either or baking with no breeze.
Hope to have about $400,000 to spend on a house.

Anyone tried something similar ?
I saw a thread a while ago but think that was mostly SE.

Kevin
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:45 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Acreage South West WA

You`ll have to check into where the better soil is.. around Perth it`s pretty dry and sandy, and the money you`ll spend on a watering system (whenever you`re allowed to use it) will probably make it cheaper to buy the veggies.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:31 pm
wombat42

There are plenty of homes available on acreages near the ocean for under $400,000 in country Victoria and Tasmania. The climate is cooler and the countryside greener and more fertlie with higher rainfall. Or is WA your only option.

Old Apr 9th 2005, 11:41 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinl
We only have a fairly small garden here but still manage to grow a lot of our veg and would like to do more to be self sufficient, would like something larger maybe even a small holding if we get our visa.

Kevin
Good question, people usually think of WA as a big sandpit but the south west region is a beautiful, bucolic (look it up) area. Lovely rolling green hills meeting the blue Indian or Southern Ocean places like Donnybrook where it's cool enough to grow apples as well as lots of other types of fruit, Harvey or Denmark, lovely.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Good question, people usually think of WA as a big sandpit but the south west region is a beautiful, bucolic (look it up) area. Lovely rolling green hills meeting the blue Indian or Southern Ocean places like Donnybrook where it's cool enough to grow apples as well as lots of other types of fruit, Harvey or Denmark, lovely.
Now you gotta find work there....

Kevin, how close to the beach is close?
And how far away from Perth do you want to be?

How old are your kids?(if any)

What kind of work will you be looking for?

Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:08 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Now you gotta find work there....

Kevin, how close to the beach is close?
And how far away from Perth do you want to be?

How old are your kids?(if any)

What kind of work will you be looking for?

Able to cycle to the beach would be good, for exercise reasons mostly, would like to get out of the habit of driving everywhere.

Kids are 7 and 4, probably be 8 and 5 if our timeplan works out, both are animal mad, horses, dogs, everything.

Jobs, hopefully, depending on house prices and exchange rates, anything.
My wife is a Hairdresser and I have always worked in engineering but both open minded and realistic.

When we were on our WHV I worked as a storeman for Ingham Chickens in Sydney and my then girlfriend worked for ABB doing panel wiring. So we are flexible.
Both these jobs were full time permanent if we had wanted them and had had the correct visas.

We realise this is a bit of a pipe dream and will depend on a lot of factors.
But as we are going so far and changing so much why not at least try the extra mile ?

I've run my business here for 10 years and have seen other people take on projects and business's that just don't add up, beliving they can ignore the figures because they really want the thing to work.
The project will have to make sense from an economic prospective as well.

Thanks for your replies

Kevin
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevinl

Kevin
I am in Tassie and back Wombat 42's posting.You can grow just about anything here if you are of a mind to do so.Whether you will find it warm enough compared to parts of the mainland I cannot say having never been to the mainland. But we do get the rain and you will need rain.we get lovely sunny days too.Came straight to Tas. I have only been here a few months very much still wearing L plates.Am loving every minute of it( yes and the bad times...there are always bad times wherever you go...even Adam could never keep Eve out of his apple orchard and had they both lived in Tasmania she would still have been in there too!!).Tasmania is known as " The Apple Isle" i have an orchard bursting with lovely apples. Also pears plums peaches (at the right season many have finished now) and apricots You can grow all veggies, blackberries,raspberries,peaches ,apricots,lemons , oranges,grapefruit all out doors.You have to know what you are doing and i don't grow all these things myself Potatoes carrots herbs.To name just a few.i am sure other good folks on this forum are growing amazing things all over the mainland too cos Aus just strikes me as an amazing place.Sorry to ramble on but 0ldgits do that.Wombat mentioned Victoria i hope someone will fly the flag for Vic and the rest of mainland Aus. Please pack Spirit Of tasmania 3 and all of our ferries. We need more tourists coming to the Island...thankyou...jobs here can be a problem which can be a downside. Oldgit
Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:12 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by oldgit
I am in Tassie and back Wombat 42's posting.You can grow just about anything here if you are of a mind to do so.Whether you will find it warm enough compared to parts of the mainland I cannot say having never been to the mainland. But we do get the rain and you will need rain.we get lovely sunny days too.Came straight to Tas. I have only been here a few months very much still wearing L plates.Am loving every minute of it( yes and the bad times...there are always bad times wherever you go...even Adam could never keep Eve out of his apple orchard and had they both lived in Tasmania she would still have been in there too!!).Tasmania is known as " The Apple Isle" i have an orchard bursting with lovely apples. Also pears plums peaches (at the right season many have finished now) and apricots You can grow all veggies, blackberries,raspberries,peaches ,apricots,lemons , oranges,grapefruit all out doors.You have to know what you are doing and i don't grow all these things myself Potatoes carrots herbs.To name just a few.i am sure other good folks on this forum are growing amazing things all over the mainland too cos Aus just strikes me as an amazing place.Sorry to ramble on but 0ldgits do that.Wombat mentioned Victoria i hope someone will fly the flag for Vic and the rest of mainland Aus. Please pack Spirit Of tasmania 3 and all of our ferries. We need more tourists coming to the Island...thankyou...jobs here can be a problem which can be a downside. Oldgit
Having traveled all around OZ, Tasmania is my favourite state, and the most scenic, nice green countryside cool climate, spectacular ruggard coastline, great rivers, forests,one of the least polluted places on earth, actually it has the cleasest air on earth., the lowest crime rate in OZ. The real estate is cheaper then the mainland, the only downside is lack of employment opportunities because of the small population of half a million.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 10th 2005 at 9:15 am.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice
Talking Re: Acreage South West WA

Originally Posted by wombat42
Having traveled all around OZ, Tasmania is my favourite state, and the most scenic, nice green countryside cool climate, spectacular ruggard coastline, great rivers, forests,one of the least polluted places on earth, actually it has the cleasest air on earth., the lowest crime rate in OZ. The real estate is cheaper then the mainland, the only downside is lack of employment opportunities because of the small population of half a million.
Thankyou Wombat you say the nicest things and I entirely agree.
Tell me does the population of half a million include me.I came in Dec 04.
I suspect it may not in which case we now have a small poulation of half a million + 1 ( ME )
Cheers oldgit
Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:17 pm
Never been to Australia

Originally Posted by wombat42
There are plenty of homes available on acreages near the ocean for under $400,000 in country Victoria and Tasmania. The climate is cooler and the countryside greener and more fertlie with higher rainfall. Or is WA your only option.
Assuming MODL doesn't change then we can go anywhere and if it does we have an STNI for Victoria.

We do have family in Rockingham and spent a fair bit of time in WA on our WHV and really liked it.

We are open minded though and really won't decide what to do until we get there.

Kevin
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

It still depends how far from Perth/Rockingham you want to be.
And how close to the centre(ie schools, shops) of a town.

You won't find acreage, very close to the beach within 400 km of Perth for that price I think.

Check out www.reiwa.com.au

Looking quickly on there, can't see much at all (area is quite popular at the moment (Bunbury, Busselton, Margret River, Augusta, Walpole, Denmark, Albany)

Maybe try real estate sites like LJ Hooker, Roy Weston...