Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

acreage/beach and commute to brisbane?pssible or not

acreage/beach and commute to brisbane?pssible or not

Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Default acreage/beach and commute to brisbane?pssible or not

Hi there

I have a dream of a couple of acres for my daughters pony,a nearby beach and would need to commute into brissie CBD to work.Is it possible and what areas shall we look at

Brisbane? lower end of sunshine coast? gold coast?

We are coming up from Adelaide in 3 weeks for a reccie,so suggestions on where to stay too.

many thanks
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:47 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: acreage/beach and commute to brisbane?pssible or not

I don't believe this is possible....Unless you are prepared for a commute that will might take anything between 1hr 15mins and 2hrs.

Though I'm sure there are others on here who will disagree with me!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ellie10990
Hi there

I have a dream of a couple of acres for my daughters pony,a nearby beach and would need to commute into brissie CBD to work.Is it possible and what areas shall we look at

We are coming up from Adelaide in 3 weeks for a reccie,so suggestions on where to stay too.

many thanks

Ormeau, Pimpima areas of the Gold Coast. However we live near surfers and my hubby commutes every day to CBD. He goes by train from Nerang station, 99% of the time gets a seat and it takes him just over an hour so you could look as far down the coast as that eg mudgee..
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I have a dream . . .
I'm afraid that's all it might be.

Although as Markallwood suggested, I stand to be corrected.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:06 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I think it would depend on how near to a Gold Coast standard beach you would need to be. In Redlands you can get acreage and be close to the sea but the beaches are more for walking along than sunbaking and there is no surf - however if you live Mount Cotton/Rochdale way you could be just 40 mins from the Gold Coast Beaches and about 1 hr approx from the CBD. The train line that runs from the GC seems to be faster than the Cleveland one - I think there is acreage Beenleigh way.

I think places like Samford and Morayfield would give you good acreage and you would be a shortish drive from the Sunshine Coast - not sure about commute to CBD though. Gold Coast hinterland is lovely but again I'm not sure about the commute.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:08 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justsarah
Ormeau, Pimpima areas of the Gold Coast. However we live near surfers and my hubby commutes every day to CBD. He goes by train from Nerang station, 99% of the time gets a seat and it takes him just over an hour so you could look as far down the coast as that eg mudgee..
"On time running" between Nerang and central is 50mins... an hour's commute is good, I thought it would be longer !!

Ormeau and Pimpana are about 20? mins by car to the beach.... not too far from the beach at all.

Perhaps I stand corrected...

Last edited by asprilla; Jun 4th 2008 at 1:13 am.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

many thanks
As mentioned by another poster, Ormeau, Pimpama and possibly Windarroo for acreage, about 45-50 minutes commute to CBD on train from Ormeau. If driving, longer during peak hour and about 20-30 minutes to the Gold Coast beaches, or 10 minutes to Jacobs Well, which is a lot more sedate than the surf beaches.

Last edited by sassie; Jun 4th 2008 at 1:15 am.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:38 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
"On time running" between Nerang and central is 50mins... an hour's commute is good, I thought it would be longer !!

Ormeau and Pimpana are about 20? mins by car to the beach.... not too far from the beach at all.

Perhaps I stand corrected...
It takes me just under 1 hour to commute from Wakerley to the CBD. Go figure eh?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:03 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Hi there

many thanks
Anything is possible. Depends on:
  1. your budget
  2. how long you are prepared to commute
  3. how close you want the nearby beach to be
  4. how much you are prepared to trade on the above factors
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Acearge - horses, you usually need a sizeable acerage for this, we had 2 acres and no way would the council entertain horses, dont trust teh RE agents reply, check with council what the zone is.

Plenty commute from the Sunshine coast and Gold coast, petrol for that trip 5days a week is significant to say the least. However thousands do it daily.

You might find acerage at Mooloolah or Palmview where you can have horses, its cheap as hell IMO, acerages start at $400,000 with a basic house. 15 mins to caloundra beaches and your already down the highway to bris, non the weekend that would only be a 40 min trip to north brisbane, of course rush hour a lot longer.

Certainly possible if you look at those areas and they are quite pretty too. Beerwahs right near them and thats going to be highly developed with facilities etc, also down that way your not far from the train to the CBD.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:50 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

What about Gaven/ Nerang and parts of Oxenford areas on the Gold Coast? Close to M1, around an hour to the CBD, 20 minutes to the 'proper' bach at Southport, plenty of reasonably priced acreages.These are established,older areas that have good infastructure and a bit of character.

We have just one acre here and a there has been a horse kept legally here by the previous owners (Council Division 5 I think?)....although haven't yet enquired ourselves about keeping one.

Good Luck on your reccie......We stayed at 'Ashmore Palms' Caravan Park when we did our reccie from Adelaide in early 2005, bit expensive, but really good if you have kids
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Acearge - horses, you usually need a sizeable acerage for this, we had 2 acres and no way would the council entertain horses, dont trust teh RE agents reply, check with council what the zone is.

Plenty commute from the Sunshine coast and Gold coast, petrol for that trip 5days a week is significant to say the least. However thousands do it daily.

You might find acerage at Mooloolah or Palmview where you can have horses, its cheap as hell IMO, acerages start at $400,000 with a basic house. 15 mins to caloundra beaches and your already down the highway to bris, non the weekend that would only be a 40 min trip to north brisbane, of course rush hour a lot longer.

Certainly possible if you look at those areas and they are quite pretty too. Beerwahs right near them and thats going to be highly developed with facilities etc, also down that way your not far from the train to the CBD.
the brisbane council website states you can keep a horse and dont need a permit but your block must be bigger than 800m2

so presumably you are not in brissie
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:36 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Most people who live on Acreage will not be within the brisbane council.

Although in Pine river I'm sure you can have a horse on 1 acre, but fir some reason you can't have a goat

You might want to check out the Beachmere, I know you can get beach side Acreage.

the brisbane council website states you can keep a horse and dont need a permit but your block must be bigger than 800m2

so presumably you are not in brissie
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:01 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by themerlin
You might want to check out the Beachmere, I know you can get beach side Acreage.
But there is no beach in deception bay, just a flat estuary a few feet deep.... Definitely not somewhere you'd go at the weekend.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=themerlin;6432722]

Most people who live on Acreage will not be within the brisbane council.

UOTE]

Exactly. Our two acres was in maroochy shire, which is now the sunshine coast regional council.

In the street, the rules regarding horses or other animals changed half way down the street! As I said wouldnt just go on a general answer, go to the council and check for that particular land. If we had lived about 100 m up the road or 500 m south we could have had horses on some properties but not all of them Worth mentioning, when we bought it, RE had it advertised with room for a pony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.