Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accounting Technician - closely related ?

Accounting Technician - closely related ?

Old May 29th 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

LouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to behold
Cool Accounting Technician - closely related ?

I am hoping to qualify as a CIPFA accountant in the next year. I am hoping to apply straight away to emigrate as a Skilled Migrant with Accountant as my nominated profession.

I notice that you get points for working in the profession (or closely related profession) for the last 3 out of 4 year prior to your application. I have worked as an Accounting Technican/ Trainee Accountant for the past few years.

Does anyone know if Accounting Technician is accepted as a 'closely related' profession for migration purposes or will I have to wait another 3 years before I can apply??????

Cheers,
Old May 30th 2004, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Hi there

I am a qualified AAT and ACCA.

I submitted full details of both qualifications and evidence of work history to DIMIA on the basis that both together were evidence of sufficient work experience to get 60 points as 'Accountant General 2211-11'

To get your AAT someone must have signed off your work experience records. If you still have these it is worth contacting the relevant skills assessment agency (I used ICAA but from memory this was on the basis that I am a member of ACCA). They will be able to advise you what the equivalent Aus qualification is and where you fit in on the immigration qualifications table.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

olive
Old May 30th 2004, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

LouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Cheers Olive, you've given me that all important starting point!!
Old May 30th 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can use your current work experiance, my wife is AAT and is nearly ACCA we tried to use her AAT for an extra five points when we fell short after the points increase, they would recognise her work experiance but she needed the ACCA not the AAT.

AAT were removed from the OPL a couple of years ago.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Good question,

We are looking to migrate under simular circumstance so any information people can give would be great.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 11:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Work experience as an accounting technician AAT could easily be assessed by DIMIA as that of a Book-keeper, which is not on the Skilled Occupations List. Depends on the circumstances.

Adelaide are on the lookout for work experience that is not in a skilled occupation, but in a related semi-skilled or clerical occupation.

They accountancy skill assessing organisations won't be able to help as they only look at qualifications, not work experience. It's *DIMIA* that assesses work experience, and a successful skill assessment does not mean the work experience requirements will be met.

If you need these points, I strongly suggest professional assistance for a clearer view, but don't be surprised if even the agent you hire tells you the same thing after looking at your case in detail.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Olive101
Hi there

I am a qualified AAT and ACCA.

I submitted full details of both qualifications and evidence of work history to DIMIA on the basis that both together were evidence of sufficient work experience to get 60 points as 'Accountant General 2211-11'

To get your AAT someone must have signed off your work experience records. If you still have these it is worth contacting the relevant skills assessment agency (I used ICAA but from memory this was on the basis that I am a member of ACCA). They will be able to advise you what the equivalent Aus qualification is and where you fit in on the immigration qualifications table.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

olive
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

I too work as an Accounting Technician and my role is more in line with accounting practice, as I do almost the same role as an accountant just not got the full CIPFA qualification yet.

I feel my question would be more along the lines of would my experience be closely related to Australian Accounting technician/ Accountant?

Cheers