Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accountants in Townsville!

Accountants in Townsville!

Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

pmntchambers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accountants in Townsville!

We are (hopefully) moving to Townsville in the not too distant future. I am CIMA qualified and wonder if there would be a great need for my skills on a part-time basis. Having two young children this working arrangement is far more suited.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountants in Townsville!

Originally posted by pmntchambers
We are (hopefully) moving to Townsville in the not too distant future. I am CIMA qualified and wonder if there would be a great need for my skills on a part-time basis. Having two young children this working arrangement is far more suited.

Hi
Sorry I can't answer your question but what made you choose Townsville.

We are thinking of Townsville as well but as we are going for a SIR visa we don't know if it will be an option.

Gravyman
Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Gravyman
Hi
Sorry I can't answer your question but what made you choose Townsville.

We are thinking of Townsville as well but as we are going for a SIR visa we don't know if it will be an option.

Gravyman
My husband is (hopefully) joining the Australian Army and it sounds a wonderful place to be posted. What is a SIR visa.

Regards
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is (hopefully) joining the Australian Army and it sounds a wonderful place to be posted. What is a SIR visa.

Regards

SIR is the new Skilled Independant Regional visa. It is a 3 year temp visa in which you have to live and work in a regional area. After 2 years you can apply for PR.

It is a lot more complicated but you only need 110 points. We missed out due to the points increase.

Gravyman
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

It will all depend on your definition of great need, how experienced you are and how much you want to be paid.

Demand for CIMA is growing, but mainly in the larger cities. In Townsville the demand for CIMA will be far less than in the larger cities - financial accountants are much more in demand.

Check out seek for some indication of what the market will bear.

http://www.seek.com.au/if.asp?loc=search

Steve

PS What Regt is your husband in........presumably he is guaranteed Townsville?
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:30 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Hi
we are living in Townsville and it is a lot bigger then you might expect. I will have a look when i go to the city tomorrow and see what i can find for you. If your hubby is in the army you will be ok as the Barracks are not too bad aparantly. Some people don't like it but there is a lot to do here plus you can escape to other places easily too and not expensively either. In all fairness it has a lot of facilities and we are making the most of it and are very happy. The people are friendly and we got massive discounts off household furniture, fridges etc as we were new in town.
Hope this is of some help
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We moved out to Townsville 2 months ago and love it. it is fantastic for kids.
not sure about the accountancy prospects, but this is a thriving city. I have just started to sort out longet trerm financial planning here. could possibly try asking the guy i am using. he is in partnership with 2 others at mclean ross ( i think!). he is originally from the uk.
not sure that is of any help, pm me if i can do anything more useful!
good luck
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by cookies
It will all depend on your definition of great need, how experienced you are and how much you want to be paid.

Demand for CIMA is growing, but mainly in the larger cities. In Townsville the demand for CIMA will be far less than in the larger cities - financial accountants are much more in demand.

Check out seek for some indication of what the market will bear.

http://www.seek.com.au/if.asp?loc=search

Steve

PS What Regt is your husband in........presumably he is guaranteed Townsville?

Thank you for your help. My husband has been sent a posting for Townsville - date tbc - visa pending. He is RLC (former RAOC).

All very exciting.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bazfer
Hi
We moved out to Townsville 2 months ago and love it. it is fantastic for kids.
not sure about the accountancy prospects, but this is a thriving city. I have just started to sort out longet trerm financial planning here. could possibly try asking the guy i am using. he is in partnership with 2 others at mclean ross ( i think!). he is originally from the uk.
not sure that is of any help, pm me if i can do anything more useful!
good luck
Thank you very much for your reply - nice to hear of someone who has actually made the move. What made you choose Townsville?

Honestly I am open to any employment opportunities - within reason of course!!! Any advise is useful.

Take care
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by rob&lucy
Hi
we are living in Townsville and it is a lot bigger then you might expect. I will have a look when i go to the city tomorrow and see what i can find for you. If your hubby is in the army you will be ok as the Barracks are not too bad aparantly. Some people don't like it but there is a lot to do here plus you can escape to other places easily too and not expensively either. In all fairness it has a lot of facilities and we are making the most of it and are very happy. The people are friendly and we got massive discounts off household furniture, fridges etc as we were new in town.
Hope this is of some help
Thanks very much for your reply - it would be most helpful if you could have a look in the City when you next visit.

Are you originally from Townsville? We are so excited that waiting is the worse part - but eh we can cope!

Take Care
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again
We came to australia with a 4yr, 2yr and 7 month old. never having visited australia before!
the decsion to come to townsville was based onthe fact that my husband has cousins here. we did n't really know them, but communicated loads by e-mail, once we made the decision to emmigrate. i have to say that not for one moment have i regreted that decision, despite a whole list of things going wrong.
we have of course got to see how we cope with summer!!
please feel free to pm me with any questions. it is so fantastic here, that i spend very little time on the copmuter (compared to my uk days!). however i do check e-mails several times a day. i will be very happy to pass on any help i can. I promise to be truthful, not just rose tinted!