Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accomodation in Melbourne when first arriving

Accomodation in Melbourne when first arriving

Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Question Accomodation in Melbourne when first arriving

Hi there, just wondering if i can pick peoples brains for a minute

My husband and I are thinking of buying a house/ flat to rent out to newly arrived brits. Rent it furnished and short term (1-2 months) and maybe add in extras like pick up from airport, put some basic provisions into the house to get people started etc.

So i was wondering a few things really

1, would anyone be interested in renting on that basis, it would prob cost more than normal melbourne rent, but not massively so. Maybe $25-50 a week on top of standard rate as we wouldn't be getting oz references and people would be able to sort it out from the uk. Plus most places in melbourne are rented unfurnished. Defiantely cheaper than a holiday rental or a hotel.

2, What rental period do you think people would want when first arriving. Would it be just 1-2 months to settle in or would people prefer longer term (6 month to a year) so they didn't have to move again?

3, Would people prefer a hosue or flat and what do you think is the minimum size i could tempt people with (i.e. bedroom number)

4, What area would people like to start off in, Central or suburban melbourne?

Any other thoughts, or even just the thought that its a rubbish idea gratefully recieved.