Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Accessing funds back in UK

Accessing funds back in UK

Old May 23rd 2015, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default Accessing funds back in UK

Hi all,

been a while since I went back to the UK and on previous trips we always had a healthy stash of pounds waiting for us in UK bank accounts. This trip though will be the first time that we have insufficient pounds waiting for us, so just wondering what the smartest thing to do is in terms of having access to funds in the UK?

Does it make sense to work out what I'll need and just do one big transfer from our Aus bank account to the UK via ozforex or someone like that? Or should I use one of these preloaded Travel cards? And load that up with currency? I have a Qantas Cash card tied to my frequent flyer, which would be the logical choice, with the bonus of earning points when I spend in the UK, but I don't know if that's the best way to go, or just one transfer and then just use UK bank cards?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 23rd 2015, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accessing funds back in UK

Personally, I'll try to load up with a credit card - provided the exchange rate is not too far off the benchmarks that banks/money-changers would offer. The credit card allows for 4x the points or something like that for overseas spending, so in a way, we get cash-back for our expenses.
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about loading up a credit card. My UK credit card kept having any credit balance transferred back to my standard bank account at the end of each month.
The HSBC say it is now policy to not allow a credit balance on a credit card!
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xizzles
Personally, I'll try to load up with a credit card - provided the exchange rate is not too far off the benchmarks that banks/money-changers would offer. The credit card allows for 4x the points or something like that for overseas spending, so in a way, we get cash-back for our expenses.
So load up on a credit card and then pay it back when you get back to Aus? Won't I be stung on each and every credit card transaction though when in the UK? Adding up to a lot of fees and charges. Whereas if I make one transfer before I go, there's one lot of fees and that's it.
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point - regulations may have changed since the last I used it. If that's the case, no need to front load it - just use the card & pay the conversion (usually charged at an unjustifiably exorbitant premium) when you get back.
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Hi all,

been a while since I went back to the UK and on previous trips we always had a healthy stash of pounds waiting for us in UK bank accounts. This trip though will be the first time that we have insufficient pounds waiting for us, so just wondering what the smartest thing to do is in terms of having access to funds in the UK?

Does it make sense to work out what I'll need and just do one big transfer from our Aus bank account to the UK via ozforex or someone like that? Or should I use one of these preloaded Travel cards? And load that up with currency? I have a Qantas Cash card tied to my frequent flyer, which would be the logical choice, with the bonus of earning points when I spend in the UK, but I don't know if that's the best way to go, or just one transfer and then just use UK bank cards?

Thanks in advance.
i move money back with Tranzfers (Ozforex) then use my UK account.
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
i move money back with Tranzfers (Ozforex) then use my UK account.

That's the way we're doing it. Can't remember the difference, but we were well ahead by transferring with OzForex rather that using our MasterCard.
Old May 24th 2015, 4:33 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get Premier status with HSBC then you can have accounts in both countries and then transfers between those accounts are "seamless" (zero cost and instantaneous). Very decent at converting currencies too.