British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Accessing .co.uk sites from Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/accessing-co-uk-sites-oz-414020/)

TheHallidays Dec 16th 2006 7:13 pm

Accessing .co.uk sites from Oz

Hi All,

Probably a daft question, but can you access web sites ending .co.uk from Oz?

Seems fairly obvious that you would be able to, but various people have said to me, let us know you're new email address when you are set up down under?!

Also thinking of things like online banking etc.... Try not to laugh when answering! Gets easily confusing all this emigration lark!

Cheers!

Jane x

Vash the Stampede Dec 16th 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Accessing .co.uk sites from Oz

Originally Posted by TheHallidays
Hi All,

Yes.

TheHallidays Dec 16th 2006 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes.

Ta - panic over, now got to think of another minor point to stress over

watch this space.....

>Trigger< Dec 16th 2006 7:26 pm

Hi All,

Seems fairly obvious that you would be able to, but various people have said to me, let us know you're new email address when you are set up down under?!

Also thinking of things like online banking etc.... Try not to laugh when answering! Gets easily confusing all this emigration lark!

Cheers!

Jane x

PM your bank details and I'll check to see if it works...... ;)

kevinbloomfield Dec 16th 2006 10:43 pm

The Internet is exactly the same here as what it is in the UK. I beleive that the BBC block some live broadcasts but everything else works great.

As to email addresses, you will get a new one when you sign up to an Australian Internet provider, you can obviously use this is if you want or you can set one up on Yahoo, Hotmail Etc

Hi All,

Cheers!

Jane x

Pollyana Dec 17th 2006 12:43 am

The problem will only arise if you are with someone like bluyonder.co.uk and your email address is linked to that. In that case the address usually goes once you drop the contract. Then once you are here you get one with dod, telstra, or whoever you sign up with.

Why not create one on Yahoo or Hotmail now, if you don't already have one, then you can give people a fresh address before you leave. :)

C&R Dec 17th 2006 2:39 am

Hi All,

Cheers!

Jane x

Are you having a laugh?

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 17th 2006 2:54 am

Hi All,

Cheers!

Jane x

Nope. Everything in Oz is umop ap!sdn. :)

TheHallidays Dec 17th 2006 7:14 am

Originally Posted by C&R
Are you having a laugh?

I know I know! I did say don't laugh.....

I read some advice somewhere about getting a roaming email address - that's what started my off - but I know now..... :D

cyclemark Dec 17th 2006 11:08 am

I know I know! I did say don't laugh.....

I read some advice somewhere about getting a roaming email address - that's what started my off - but I know now..... :D

Fear not, with this kind of question you'll sound like a genius in Perth.
Plus if you can grasp the concept of Daylight Savings Time then you'll be a candidate for Mastermind!!

Good luck!