Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Above ground swimming pools

Above ground swimming pools

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Above ground swimming pools

Hope someone can help.

As we are renting at the momnt i obviously cant have a pool installed, but i have all my grankids and daughters coming to stay for several weeks in March. I wanted to know where i could find a place that does above ground pools in Adelaide area if possible...or anywhere as long as they can get it here.

It will also be a good temporary measure to aid my fitness campaign and to wallow in on hot days..

Any ideas?
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Above ground swimming pools

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hope someone can help.

As we are renting at the momnt i obviously cant have a pool installed, but i have all my grankids and daughters coming to stay for several weeks in March. I wanted to know where i could find a place that does above ground pools in Adelaide area if possible...or anywhere as long as they can get it here.

It will also be a good temporary measure to aid my fitness campaign and to wallow in on hot days..

Any ideas?

try these guys they're an aussie icon in the above ground pool game.
http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/website.nsf/OURSTORES!OpenFrameSet
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thanx AUssie...you are a star...i know where i'm off to in the morning!!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I must be a bit thick, but what`s an `above` ground pool?
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

Its a pool that isnt sunk into the ground. The bottom of the pool is at ground level.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

i.e. like a whacking great paddling pool! : )
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 11:04 pm
ABCDiamond

I've been looking at pools recently, and the above ground ones will cost a few thousand.

If its just something for a short time, have a look at the 12 foot diameter ones at K-Mart etc for between $199-$299 with filter, and cover.

Old Dec 24th 2003, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Saw on the news tonight something about new pool regulations from January that require any pool deeper than 300mm to having some sort of planning consent.

This is besides the fact that a new pool would need safety fencing and/or window and door safety locks on all openings poolside of the house.

An above ground pool is not as simple to install as 'buy one and plonk it on the grass'. The ground must be absolutely level which will mean excavating a bit, and then a layer of dolomite is usually compacted down to give a decent base. Then you would still have to have the necessary plumbing and electrical work done for the pump and filters.

Dunno how your landlord would feel about all that Nicki!

If you really, really want one it's worth looking in the paper for one - you can get some good bargains in Saturday's Advertiser, the Trading Post or the Messenger.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Saw on the news tonight something about new pool regulations from January that require any pool deeper than 300mm to having some sort of planning consent.

This is besides the fact that a new pool would need safety fencing and/or window and door safety locks on all openings poolside of the house.

An above ground pool is not as simple to install as 'buy one and plonk it on the grass'. The ground must be absolutely level which will mean excavating a bit, and then a layer of dolomite is usually compacted down to give a decent base. Then you would still have to have the necessary plumbing and electrical work done for the pump and filters.

Dunno how your landlord would feel about all that Nicki!

If you really, really want one it's worth looking in the paper for one - you can get some good bargains in Saturday's Advertiser, the Trading Post or the Messenger.
Thanks for the reality check - I have to admit that I was looking forward to buying one and plonking it on the grass. It still seems a lot more flexible than an in-ground one as in Britain a swimming pool is often seen as a liability to a house come sale time. You can tell a buyer that they can have it, or you can take it away with you to your next place. We plan on acreage so an above ground won't look so out of place.