Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

About to begin the proccess

About to begin the proccess

Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

cheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud of
Post About to begin the proccess

Hi,

Well after a bumpy year and having to wade through UK Immigration rules for my Aussy partner to get a de-facto visa to stay here in UK with me its now my turn to apply for an Australian de-facto visa. I have been reading up both on here and on the gov site and preparing to gather all evidence needed, have spoke with GP who does medicals and got an idea of time scales etc, and hoping to get form for PC this week. I was wondering before I set these in motion whether it is worth frontloading with a spouse visa application I understand there are pro's and con's with everything but not quite sure which way to go with this. Was thinking if I was to send off application maybe a couple of weeks after getting PC started and booking for my meds around time of sending off application as not sure of the timelines for spouse visa's and have to consider being able to validate visa (thats hoping all goes well and we get it)
If anyone has any thoughts on this or has been there it would be great to hear from you

Cheers
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to begin the proccess

I would recommend frontloading - de facto visas from the UK are often granted very quickly, so if you send the meds, police check(s) and passport, you could get everything back in only 2-3 weeks. In fact, some people on here have had theirs granted recently in days, rather than weeks.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

cheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud of

Hey thanks for the info pollyana, feels like we have so much to sort through and its not always easy to know where to begin. Wondering if you or anyone else would know anything about whether it would be an idea to put my kids (from previous marriage) on the application they are 21 & 24 who still live at home with me which although they are not fully sold on the idea it would give them the choice to join me, or would there be another way for them to join me at a later date should they decide to do this. My main concern with putting them on my application is that the youngest boy is diabetic and not sure if that will be looked on favourably, could that go against him? or even against me if he was on my application?
We are wanting to get our application in pretty soon as looking to visit Australia around Nov this year as my partner's daughter will be leaving school and doing that whole graduation/formal/schoolies thing and wants us there for that so we are hoping to combine that visit with validating my (hopefully) visa.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Hi there

Definately front load it, we got ours in around 3 days, send your passport with it too so they can put your sticker in for you.

Good luck if you need any advise with any of it I would be happy to help.

Laura
Old Jan 13th 2006, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi there

Definately front load it, we got ours in around 3 days, send your passport with it too so they can put your sticker in for you.

Good luck if you need any advise with any of it I would be happy to help.

Laura
Hi

Did you get a spouse visa?

Didnt realise they can go through so quick, thanks for the offer of help may take you up on that

Chee
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheechee
Hi

Did you get a spouse visa?

Didnt realise they can go through so quick, thanks for the offer of help may take you up on that

Chee
Hi Chee

well not me, my hubbie did, think its probably the easiest visa to get. check out the immigration forum, loads of info on there.

The forms are a bit tedious as you would expect, then you just need to collect relationship evidence, try doing a search in immigration 'TOC' or 'table of contents' to give you an idea of what to send with it.

Get your police check done as soon as possible they can take a while.

Laura
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi Chee

well not me, my hubbie did, think its probably the easiest visa to get. check out the immigration forum, loads of info on there.

The forms are a bit tedious as you would expect, then you just need to collect relationship evidence, try doing a search in immigration 'TOC' or 'table of contents' to give you an idea of what to send with it.

Get your police check done as soon as possible they can take a while.

Laura
Hi Laura
Thanks for that will do a check on the "TOC" we are just at the stage of asking friends etc to do their statements and was hoping to get forms for PC either this week or next , have one question you might be able to answer, it asks for an address in Australia and as we are both still in the UK not sure where to go with that one. Not to go into too fine a detail but cant ask partners family in Aus so are a bit stumpted, also will my partner have to give AOS for me? OK sorry thats 2 questions but seems once you start more pop into your head.

Chee x
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cheechee
Hi Laura
Thanks for that will do a check on the "TOC" we are just at the stage of asking friends etc to do their statements and was hoping to get forms for PC either this week or next , have one question you might be able to answer, it asks for an address in Australia and as we are both still in the UK not sure where to go with that one. Not to go into too fine a detail but cant ask partners family in Aus so are a bit stumpted, also will my partner have to give AOS for me? OK sorry thats 2 questions but seems once you start more pop into your head.

Chee x

Hi Chee

not too sure about the address question, we just put down my aunty in Sydney even though we are going to Brisbane. try asking in immigration.

I doubt you partner will need to do the AOS, its pretty rare apparently, think its more of an issue when partner not an english speaker and therefore deemed more of a risk for not getting a job quickly and needing benefits.

I think the application form etc makes the process seem so much worse than it really is.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Good luck with it all