Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ABN number tax return??? help

ABN number tax return??? help

Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future
Default ABN number tax return??? help

I,m new to this so don,t really understand what to do.
firstly on on a student visa and working on an ABN.
I,ve been working in Aus since febuary and have earned only around $3000.
My agent recommends I go and see an accountant and pay around 100$ to get my files checked? is this correct?
she also says cause i,m only earning a small amount I won,t have to pay tax on it?
also i,ve no expenses to clame back.
any help or advice please.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: ABN number tax return??? help

2008/2009
Low income earners under $14,000 will pay no tax, due to the Low Income Tax Offset.
That is for the full 12 months, so pro rata for 5 months = No tax on $5,800 income.

You will still need to lodge something with the Tax office, but ask the local tax agents if they do a student special rate. In my area there are some that advertise these for $65.

There are also tax volunteers, set up by the ATO, for low paid earners ($40,000 or less), to do simple returns for free. There are about 800 of these Tax Help centres in Australia available between July - October each year.

Your return would probably take 5-10 minutes.

Every year I consider volunteering for that, but never get around to it, maybe I will next year

Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ramzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That is for the full 12 months, so pro rata for 5 months = No tax on $5,800 income.

You will still need to lodge something with the Tax office, but ask the local tax agents if they do a student special rate. In my area there are some that advertise these for $65.

There are also tax volunteers, set up by the ATO, for low paid earners ($40,000 or less), to do simple returns for free. There are about 800 of these Tax Help centres in Australia available between July - October each year.

Every year I consider volunteering for that, but never get around to it, maybe I will next year
Hi ABC Diamond,

sorry this is not related to this thresd but since i think that you have knowledge about the Australian Tax, could you please confim me this...

I am palnning to come to Aussie in December and started to do the foundation course of Taxation Institute of Australia since some receommended that this is a very good practical course and i am studying for this through distance learning now...

Do you know whether this is a recognised course in Australia? I think that i can gather a very good knowledge about the Aussie tax through this but the worry is whether it will be recognised by Aussie employers?

your advise is greatly appreciated.

Ramzi..
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a small point (and I may be wrong) but I think it's only the $6k tax free limit that's pro-rata. I didn't think LITO was pro-rata.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Just a small point (and I may be wrong) but I think it's only the $6k tax free limit that's pro-rata. I didn't think LITO was pro-rata.
You know, I don't think I have ever checked that point... But there seems to be no mention of pro rata for that. Which means that the full offset would be allowed even if a person had only been here for one month !
I think it 'should' be pro rata, but I suppose I don't make the rules

I should not post before my 2nd coffee in the morning ! (which I still haven't had yet!)

Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ramzi
Hi ABC Diamond,

sorry this is not related to this thresd but since i think that you have knowledge about the Australian Tax, could you please confim me this...

I am palnning to come to Aussie in December and started to do the foundation course of Taxation Institute of Australia since some receommended that this is a very good practical course and i am studying for this through distance learning now...

Do you know whether this is a recognised course in Australia? I think that i can gather a very good knowledge about the Aussie tax through this but the worry is whether it will be recognised by Aussie employers?

your advise is greatly appreciated.

Ramzi..
It is recognised, and even allows Student or Affiliate membership of the Affiliate of the Taxation Institute. http://www.taxinstitute.com.au/go/me...our-membership

Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:13 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

You know, I don't think I have ever checked that point... But there seems to be no mention of pro rata for that. Which means that the full offset would be allowed even if a person had only been here for one month !
I think it 'should' be pro rata, but I suppose I don't make the rules

I should not post before my 2nd coffee in the morning ! (which I still haven't had yet!)
I reckon the pro-rata on the tax free allowance is just lip-service to "fairness". All the other rates are not pro-rata so someone turning up half way through the year still gets the full amount at 15% and 30%. I'm happy the way it is as it gives a bit of a boost to new arrivals (assuming they are generating income) at a point when they're probably buying lots of stuff to replace the stuff left behind.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

charliebris is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are working on an ABN you are working as a subcontractor not as an employee, Everone has to complete a tax return even employees the tax year runs from Ist of July to 30 June each year. To complete your tax return you will need to your Tax File Number which you would have giben to your bank accout to stop them from witholding tax from your account. The tax rate for temp residents would be different from perm residents, The small offices you are talking about is places like H&R block etc
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by charliebris
The tax rate for temp residents would be different from perm residents, The small offices you are talking about is places like H&R block etc
This "temporary" wording can sometimes be a bit confusing for some..

Some temporary residents, as in "temporary visa holders" are classed as "tax resident" for normal tax rates.

I've realised I must be ill... I haven't even downloaded etax yet... normally I am so keen to get everything done on July 1st, but I just can't seem to get the same excitement about tax this year. I think I will nip round the doctors...

Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

charliebris is an unknown quantity at this point

http://apply.taxback.com.au/

Hope this helps