85k salary

Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

MMC_HGV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 85k salary

hi my husband and i have the opportunity to be in perth in september, his basic salary would be around 85k and i was wondering if this would be an ok salary to manage on till i could find a job. we dont have any children and we dont lead an extravagant lifestyle but i wouldnt want to think it would be a struggle. any advice would be welcome
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: 85k salary

Originally Posted by MMC_HGV
hi my husband and i have the opportunity to be in perth in september, his basic salary would be around 85k and i was wondering if this would be an ok salary to manage on till i could find a job. we dont have any children and we dont lead an extravagant lifestyle but i wouldnt want to think it would be a struggle. any advice would be welcome
Some would say no and others will say yes and it really just depends on your circumstances and what if any savings you have to set yourself up.

The average salary in Oz is around the 65K mark so he is above this. If you were to get a job then I would say yes but so much depends on your circumstances and what your looking for. Perth isn't cheap although with a bit of work and savvy you can save on essentials like food etc.

Have you actually been to Perth, as personally I wouldn't make a decision without having visited. Some people like it and others hate it, it really depends on your outlook in life and what your expecting. My first impression was it was like the Uk about 20 years ago in a lot of ways which isn't a bad thing.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

No we havent been to perth before but the job opportunity and quality of life seem better than the uk so its something we have been considering.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Perth is a nice place but it is expensive. You should look at a lot of the posts on here and do you homework.

First would be take home pay there's a calculator or link to it somewhere.
Then look at the living expenses posts and discount the one's that are not applicable.
Have a look on the various website for rental properties and the cost.

After all that you will have a good idea if it's doable.

You haven't mentioned if you have any savings to start up or if the job is with lafha. I'm assuming it's a 457 temp work visa.

Last edited by mvagusta; Jun 12th 2011 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Were nor sure if it includes lafha the job offer still isnt through yet, we jave done a lot of research over the last 6 months but its hard to find out the basic cost of living, we have looked at rentals and groceries etc and just unsure how much we would need to earn to be comfortable.

Not sure about saving but it will be on a 457 and we would have a 4500 dollar allowance for the cost of our flights amd to help towards a bond.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is a lot of posts re renting but it may be best to allow at least $400 per week for rent.
Food you could probably get by with $150 per week.

I've done a quick calculation based on the salary without lafha and your looking at around $5000 per month after tax. Please check this. So on this basis after tax and paying rent/food you will have $2800 left. These amounts sound a lot but as stated before Perth can be expensive.

Other cost are really dependent on individual circumstances.

You'll need a car as it can be a right pain to get around without one.

Lafha would be beneficial considering the salary as you can claim a food and rental allowance which is not taxed. Just make sure that you stay above the minimum salary set out by diac.

It's one of these defining moments that you will always ask yourself if you don't do it "What If"

Do your homework and sums. I've heard that shelf stackers in the supermarkets get paid $22 per hour so if you get a job as well then I don't see a problem.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would compare with your current salary and then decide for yourself whether it would be enough for you. Just bear in mind that your largest expense, accommodation, could be a lot more here than in UK. I think this is the only way to go, because you will get some people on BE saying it is not enough and others who will say it is plenty.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMC_HGV
Were nor sure if it includes lafha the job offer still isnt through yet, we jave done a lot of research over the last 6 months but its hard to find out the basic cost of living, we have looked at rentals and groceries etc and just unsure how much we would need to earn to be comfortable.

Not sure about saving but it will be on a 457 and we would have a 4500 dollar allowance for the cost of our flights amd to help towards a bond.
One other thing $4500 allowance would probably be enough to cover flights and rental deposit/bond are you looking at taking any furniture etc as most rentals are unfurnished. If so then that figure won't cover shipping personal belongings and you will probably find that furnished rental prices will be dearer. The other thing that springs to mind is that the average home in Perth is 4 bedroom so if you try to save money by trying to rent a smaller home the options become less.

I would see if the company is willing to pay for accommodation or at least find you somewhere to stay until you get settled in and find your bearings.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
One other thing $4500 allowance would probably be enough to cover flights and rental deposit/bond are you looking at taking any furniture etc as most rentals are unfurnished. If so then that figure won't cover shipping personal belongings and you will probably find that furnished rental prices will be dearer. The other thing that springs to mind is that the average home in Perth is 4 bedroom so if you try to save money by trying to rent a smaller home the options become less.

I would see if the company is willing to pay for accommodation or at least find you somewhere to stay until you get settled in and find your bearings.
There is a huge variety of dwellings in Perth and where 4 x 2 might be the norm in the newer, outer suburbs (and this is changing), there is everything from studios for 1 or 2, up to luxury units apartments and also small 2 bed townhouses, right up to flash mansions if you do desire. It would be misleading to say that your options are less if you want to rent a smaller home.

There are furnished places available, often at very reasonable rates and in inner suburbs, which would probably suit a young couple anyway in terms of nightlife and public transport. If you look on the www.realestate.com.au website, it allows you to select furnished places for your search.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HelenTD
There is a huge variety of dwellings in Perth and where 4 x 2 might be the norm in the newer, outer suburbs (and this is changing), there is everything from studios for 1 or 2, up to luxury units apartments and also small 2 bed townhouses, right up to flash mansions if you do desire. It would be misleading to say that your options are less if you want to rent a smaller home.

There are furnished places available, often at very reasonable rates and in inner suburbs, which would probably suit a young couple anyway in terms of nightlife and public transport. If you look on the www.realestate.com.au website, it allows you to select furnished places for your search.
I think you've picked up on this incorrectly or perhaps I didn't make it clear. If you leave out houses and villas from the search then there are less choices available.

Unfurnished homes tend to out way furnished ones so the choice is less. When I checked there were 178 furnished available and 500 unfurnished.

I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've picked up on this incorrectly or perhaps I didn't make it clear. If you leave out houses and villas from the search then there are less choices available.

Unfurnished homes tend to out way furnished ones so the choice is less. When I checked there were 178 furnished available and 500 unfurnished.

I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.
Yes, there are more unfurnished homes available, but there are a large amount of furnished ones available in the metro area. Also, it would be more useful to search on number of bedrooms than to exclude houses and villas, and to use the maximum price function.

It is easier for a couple to find somewhere to live than it is for a family with children, as couples would be more likely to consider renting units, which may or may not be furnished, as well as larger dwellings, whereas families are more restricted by the need for more bedrooms and more careful about choosing suburbs by their schools.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Yes, there are more unfurnished homes available, but there are a large amount of furnished ones available in the metro area. Also, it would be more useful to search on number of bedrooms than to exclude houses and villas, and to use the maximum price function.

It is easier for a couple to find somewhere to live than it is for a family with children, as couples would be more likely to consider renting units, which may or may not be furnished, as well as larger dwellings, whereas families are more restricted by the need for more bedrooms and more careful about choosing suburbs by their schools.
We don't even know if the op is looking for furnished or unfurnished. I was only pointing out that the $4500 may not be enough to cover the option of taking furniture with them and as such pointed out the the furnished options are less.
We also don't know where the job is located as Perth covers a big area as you are aware, so the metro area may or may not be a viable option.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be enough as remember there are a lot of folk earning around half of that and they manage.

Not too many years back it would have seemed a lot of money but times change as do costs and WA is anything but cheap these days.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

I would be looking to rent furnished smaller flat probably victoria park area of perth although i dont know where i'd be place yet so thats only assuming, i dont have that much here so i wouldnt be taking anything, there is alot on the real estate website, how easy it is to get one i dont know. The 85k would be basic anf i sont know what kind of ovetime would be availible etc, i should find out tommorow so it could be big decision time!!

Thanks for all the imformative replys its much apprieciated and the open debates