Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 8 months in

Originally Posted by Wendy
Try looking here
much help wendy ,,thanks
Old Oct 21st 2006, 6:40 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Racism: Considering Australia was founded and developed by immigrants, the aussies attitudes amaze me. Not just racist to aboriginies, but just about anyone, that includes us! The constant 'POM' reference even on the TV, I find shocking and harmful

As an Aussie, I think you should realise that people from England get called Poms as a form of an endearment (the great majority of the time anyway) It is not meant as a put down. We call South Africans "Saffas" people from New Zealand "Kiwis" and people from the US "Yanks." It is Aussie slang and a cultural phenomenon that you shouldn't be too sensitve about.

Just a note on racism in the UK, last night I was walking home about 1.30am (I live in Clapham, London) and I came across a brawl at a bus stop, involving 6 Enlish boys kicking the living daylights out of two young males who we later found out were from Cyprus. Quite a bit of damage they were doing too. My boyfriend and I intervened and the gang of boys ran off. The two Cypriots were badly shaken and told us that the English boys had begun taunting them at the bus stop and then just began attacking them. One of the worst things I have ever seen.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:56 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Originally Posted by OZSpur
Hello all,
Been a voyeur on the site since we got here, mainly to see how other people are finding Australia.
Been in brisbane for 8 months now and here are my thoughts:

Good points:
Outdoor lifestyle; gets the kids away from the TV, PS2 etc, my two couldn't swim in England but here they have learnt in 3 months.
Friendly people; most will stop and say hello in the street. They also seem to be more trusting and believe you! Massive change from London.
Half hours drive to some of the best beaches I've ever been to (sunshine coast).
1st home buyers bonus (even though I owned in UK), baby bonus. We have bought a 4bed house with pool for the price of a 2bed flat where we used to live
The sun shines more often than not, winter here and still 22 in the day time (No more buying anti-freeze for the jam jar!)

Great post - what's the 1st home buyers bonus though?
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:39 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borolad
much help wendy ,,thanks
northern nsw, $20 to $21 an hour as a casual, less if you are taken on permanent.

hth
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

OZSpur will become famous soon enoughOZSpur will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Great post - what's the 1st home buyers bonus though?
$7000 from the government for 1st time buyers. Even though I had my own house in the UK! Not bad eh!
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:44 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Enjoyed your post.

How are things now, are you still looking to get citizenship and then come back?

Joex
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Hi

Enjoyed your post.

How are things now, are you still looking to get citizenship and then come back?

Joex
Yes that is our aim (if i can stick it that long!) I think we have chosen the wrong place in Brisbane/QLD and may think of trying Perth in the new year, to break the 2yrs up. It seems like a lifetime away at the moment
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:08 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is our aim (if i can stick it that long!) I think we have chosen the wrong place in Brisbane/QLD and may think of trying Perth in the new year, to break the 2yrs up. It seems like a lifetime away at the moment

Hi

Whereabouts in Queensland are you?

Its got to be worth trying somewhere else first. Have you been back to the UK since you went to Oz?

All the best

Joex
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Hi

Whereabouts in Queensland are you?

Its got to be worth trying somewhere else first. Have you been back to the UK since you went to Oz?

All the best

Joex
Caboolture on the north side of Brisbane. Moved here from Redcliffe, got a lot more for our money here and only 20 mins from Bribie Island. I have a lot of friends in Perth and I think that might help us settle there rather than jack it in and go home. I have not been back to the UK, its almost a year here now, all I keep hearing from home is how bad London is now etc etc, but people have been saying all the time I was growing up!!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 6:06 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
Been a voyeur on the site since we got here, mainly to see how other people are finding Australia.
Been in brisbane for 8 months now and here are my thoughts:

Good points:
Outdoor lifestyle; gets the kids away from the TV, PS2 etc, my two couldn't swim in England but here they have learnt in 3 months.
Friendly people; most will stop and say hello in the street. They also seem to be more trusting and believe you! Massive change from London.
Half hours drive to some of the best beaches I've ever been to (sunshine coast).
1st home buyers bonus (even though I owned in UK), baby bonus. We have bought a 4bed house with pool for the price of a 2bed flat where we used to live
The sun shines more often than not, winter here and still 22 in the day time (No more buying anti-freeze for the jam jar!)

Bad points:
Work: money is crap, your previous experience counts for absolute FA, aussies would rather employ aussies than us British.
Prices; I have found almost everything equal or as in the case of food, more expensive than at home, this shocked me immensely coming from London.
Schools: Rubbish! If I could afford to send mine private I would.
Social life: I enjoy the BBQ's and pool parties, but how much would I love to find a decent local boozer for a pint, away from pokie machines, TAB and food
Also find it hard trying to fill my time at weekends
Racism: Considering Australia was founded and developed by immigrants, the aussies attitudes amaze me. Not just racist to aboriginies, but just about anyone, that includes us! The constant 'POM' reference even on the TV, I find shocking and harmful

Overall we are quite happy here and we have a lifestyle that was impossible in London; but the way I feel at the moment, we will get our citizenship in 2 years time and then return home. Therefore giving the children the chance to come back if they wish to when they are older.

All the best

Oooooh. Vash is going to give you a good drubbing over this one.

I like your style actually....."One one hand I really like Australia.......and on the other hand IT'S A BIG BAG OF CRAP!!!".....Only kidding.....

Personally, I can relate to a few of your points. I love it here though, regardless.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 6:43 am
visa holder

Caboolture on the north side of Brisbane. Moved here from Redcliffe, got a lot more for our money here and only 20 mins from Bribie Island. I have a lot of friends in Perth and I think that might help us settle there rather than jack it in and go home. I have not been back to the UK, its almost a year here now, all I keep hearing from home is how bad London is now etc etc, but people have been saying all the time I was growing up!!

All the best with Perth. Its got to be worth a go before returning.

Joex
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:23 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

[ I sat proud with my Welsh flag on my hat dressed in red and green!! [/QUOTE]

just out of interest, where are you from mrs jackaroo?

bec and egg
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:41 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

$7000 from the government for 1st time buyers. Even though I had my own house in the UK! Not bad eh!
I presume you will pay back that money to the aussie taxpayer if you decide to go home?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MD09
I presume you will pay back that money to the aussie taxpayer if you decide to go home?

NO.
Done whats asked off me to get it

Anymore daft questions?

Last edited by OZSpur; Jan 3rd 2007 at 9:47 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:41 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Hi OzSpur,

I'm an OzGunner but please don't lets get into a war over that!! I just read your original post, I could have written that, it's exactly how we feel. We are sticking it out for the kids to get their Citizenship as they love it here and may want to come back when they are old enough. I read loads of posts on here about people who have settled and are well chuffed, I think the vast majority came over with plenty of dosh. It makes so much difference to everything. I've struggled on a crap wage for the last year and only just got into another job that pays a half decent wage but is bloody boring (IT). Will spend most of 2007 trying to recover.......anyway, good luck if you decide on Perth, having people you know around you is bound to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.