Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6yr Old & School Dentist ?? !!

6yr Old & School Dentist ?? !!

Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:08 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6yr Old & School Dentist ?? !!

[Defo get a second opinion, but it may cost you if you go private. It cost me $120 just for the dentist to tell me he needed 2 filling, bloody cheek.[/QUOTE]

Daylight robbery !
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:38 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
[Defo get a second opinion, but it may cost you if you go private. It cost me $120 just for the dentist to tell me he needed 2 filling, bloody cheek.
Daylight robbery ! [/QUOTE]
Are they fillings, Dave? They told us that we needed fissure seals for D as she has really 'groovy' teeth.

They will physically do the fillings. The trouble is, they didn't tell us when her appointment was to have the work done. The first thing we knew about it was when we had a call from the dentist with D completely distraught in the chair, wailing.

I have pulled my guys out of the school dentist and would heartily recommend a lady in Malibu - Airey Dental, Unit 4, 2 Antigua Street
Safety Bay, WA, 6169 Telephone: (08) 9592-1863 (near the IGA and Malibu fresh). She is the lovelist dentist I have every visited; gives you quotes up front for all the work and if you have medical insurance, this is deducted at the time of payment.

It may cost you for a second opinion, but I'm sure that's better than having unecessary work carried out for nothing.

Best of luck,

Jules x
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:38 am
Account Closed

It may cost you for a second opinion, but I'm sure that's better than having unecessary work carried out for nothing.

Best of luck,

Jules x[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jules, we will give them a ring.

Ps.. Laim had 2 immunisations as well today at the docs, so the poor lad is in wars -lol.

Dave / Wendy..
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy

Yep, my lad had a visit to the UK dentist before arrival 3 months ago -got the all clear.

Now his local school here along with the denrtist provider say he needs 5 fillings !!

Are they taking the p xxx here ? Is this a cash cow between the two ?

Hmmmm......always thinking..

Dave
DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A SECOND OPINION

It is a cash cow even if someone posted here it is free. Believe me someone somewhere is on the make with this.

All hail the NHS................

My wife worked in a medical practice........they are driven to make money not provide good and honest health care. Numerous times I was told of how doctors would ask for unnecessary treatments to be carried out "because we gotta keep the dollars coming in"....and expensive machinery has to earn its keep was the message.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:27 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck,

Jules x
Thanks Jules, we will give them a ring.

Ps.. Laim had 2 immunisations as well today at the docs, so the poor lad is in wars -lol.

Dave / Wendy..[/QUOTE]
Was that a late birthday pressie?

Definately give them a call - they are lovely there. She always comments on the bad dental work and how much of it is so unnecessary.

Take care,

Jules x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 5:54 am
Account Closed

[
All hail the NHS................

My wife worked in a medical practice........they are driven to make money not provide good and honest health care. Numerous times I was told of how doctors would ask for unnecessary treatments to be carried out "because we gotta keep the dollars coming in"....and expensive machinery has to earn its keep was the message.[/QUOTE]

Exactly ,sound spot on to me that.........we only appreciate NHS when it's gone....hmmm..

Dave
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

cakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant future

hi, definatley go elsewhere, i woould never allow my children to have treatment from a school dentist as most of these are newly trained or maybe even still training under guidance -

good luck
Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

My son had to have quite a few fillings when we arrived and had them happily done at the school dentist. He had x-rays which showed up the problems that hadn't been picked up in the uk and they showed them to me and explained everything. In the uk, both of my children begrudgingly opened their mouths for the dentist to take a quick look which now looking back wasn't very good. They never had x-rays or a really good look around in their mouths.

My daughter who is 4 also had to have a filling not long after we arrived. I had to take her to a private dentist as she is not covered by the school dentist until she is in year 1. It cost me £500 for the lot which turned out to be 2 fillings and they do a thing called a fissure seal? She also had flouride treatment on her teeth. It is one of them things that when they ask you if you want it done, you say yeah and then have a heart attack at the till!!

Sarah
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Sarah[/QUOTE]

Cheers Mad chef..

And so......, we took Liam to the school dentist today to ask them why the big change ?

A lady took us into the room and showed us why 5 fillings were needed, now two were passable, 2 were minute/borderline and one not sure about ( but dont junior teeth fall out anyway ? lol) They wanted to take xrays as well ( old machine I might add)...anyway ,they tried to get Liam to bit this cardboard thing in his gob ,for the xray, I must say the woman wasn't very compassionate, quite regimental ...my poor lad has never had a filling before so is understandably nervous , and looking back we all were in our youth wern't we ?.

Anyway, had to abandon the xray as could not be done..couldn't get the thing in his mouth positioned right.

Will enquire with Jules's tip this week, (we need our own dentist anyway)..

Hmmm...quite cold these dental nurses.....hope my lad doesnt dream about giant drilling machines tonite..

The school dentists are free by the way...hmm

Dave
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Mad chef..

And so......, we took Liam to the school dentist today to ask them why the big change ?

A lady took us into the room and showed us why 5 fillings were needed, now two were passable, 2 were minute/borderline and one not sure about ( but dont junior teeth fall out anyway ? lol) They wanted to take xrays as well ( old machine I might add)...anyway ,they tried to get Liam to bit this cardboard thing in his gob ,for the xray, I must say the woman wasn't very compassionate, quite regimental ...my poor lad has never had a filling before so is understandably nervous , and looking back we all were in our youth wern't we ?.

Anyway, had to abandon the xray as could not be done..couldn't get the thing in his mouth positioned right.

Will enquire with Jules's tip this week, (we need our own dentist anyway)..

Hmmm...quite cold these dental nurses.....hope my lad doesnt dream about giant drilling machines tonite..

The school dentists are free by the way...hmm

Dave
I think settling in takes time Dave and it doesn't help if your first experiences with things are not good. You would feel totally differently about the dentist if they had agreed with the UK dentist who incidentally appeared to miss the fillings altogether.

Anyway onwards and upwards. Try and relax a little.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:18 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

When I arrived I went to the dentist with a cracked tooth, she x-ray'd the rest and I needed a couple of fillings, she reckoned that in the UK they miss quite a bit and unless an x-ray was taken they would not have realised.
I thought she was really good, another recent occurance has been working a few days with a armed forces dentist, he gives the thumbs up to amalgum fillings, says anyone saying their fillings are leaking are hypercondriacs, he explained quite a bit about dentistry in general and made quite a bit of sense. The big one for me was in tooth root canal work the use of new drill type things, they are used to scrape out the root, he said mad cow etc could be transefered due to nerve tissue being removed and therefore if the dentist either poorly cleaned or did not use new equipment there is a chance this is how it is spread! He likes to use new pieces for his clients.
Oh well good luck
Jenny