Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:48 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What do you mean 'finally'? There have been many before this who have posted without realising the reality of what they were getting into.... not just in Australia either.
Exactly, Beoz full of shite as usual,seems he likes to just pick an argument

To the OP, NO, i would not consider the move with that wage given that every mum in Australia, with australian qualifications, only wants school hours, so she'll be at the back of the queu I'm afraid.
Secondly as pointed out, day care fees are massive, the $100 a day is realistic, per child and with 457 you may face $4500 per year per child school fees as well without government assistance. Take a gamble if you think it's worth it but be realistic, expecting your wife to get school hours job in two months is very unrealistic.

From a mum who knows too many in same situation
Old Oct 21st 2016, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean 'finally'? There have been many before this who have posted without realising the reality of what they were getting into.... not just in Australia either.
This poster has a dream (like many who frequent this site). Rather than telling them how they can't immigrate, it would be helpful to aid their dreams by advising them how they can.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
This poster has a dream (like many who frequent this site). Rather than telling them how they can't immigrate, it would be helpful to aid their dreams by advising them how they can.
So how can they?

In all honesty emigrating on a below national average salary on a temporary visa sounds very unappealing.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't said they can't. I commented that the difference between a PR visa and temp could make a big difference. I also said families here do live on that amount. I haven't said don't do it. In fact I very very rarely say Don't do it. I just suggest they look at the facts, and the visa restrictions.
If they choose to come on a 457 on that salary it will be tough. Probably easier in Brisbane than Melbourne, although the difference is getting smaller by the week. However that is their choice. Its also been suggested that if they qualify for a 189 that would be better. When I first posted I thought (hoped) they would reply that they were doing a 189.

I may have no great love for this expensive god-awful country, but I know that others do and that is why, after all these years of abuse and criticism, I still reply to posts and point them to alternative options if I can.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So how can they?

In all honesty emigrating on a below national average salary on a temporary visa sounds very unappealing.
Exactly. If he is so smart let him suggest a more financially viable route into the country.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by teza
Exactly, Beoz full of shite as usual,seems he likes to just pick an argument
oh so true, loves to needle people till they walk away for ever.

Originally Posted by teza
To the OP, NO, i would not consider the move with that wage given that every mum in Australia, with australian qualifications, only wants school hours, so she'll be at the back of the queu I'm afraid.
Secondly as pointed out, day care fees are massive, the $100 a day is realistic, per child and with 457 you may face $4500 per year per child school fees as well without government assistance. Take a gamble if you think it's worth it but be realistic, expecting your wife to get school hours job in two months is very unrealistic.

From a mum who knows too many in same situation
Thats why I so hoped it was a move with a PR visa. It would still be tough, but on a 457 it would be a nightmare. The childcare fees alone would be crippling as part of the budget.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody said he couldn't, the OP himself said he wouldn't. Not sure how you're getting that bit confused?

I've had a lot of dreams in regards to race goals, some of them took years to realise, some came quick and some didn't/haven't happened yet. But in all of them, some tenacity was required.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So how can they?

For you maybe.

I've plenty of people lift themselves out of their British poverty and comfort zone by merely immigrating.

Case in point. I know a former farm hand who earned enough to survive in Britian become a truck driver on mining sites for $150,000 AUD year.

FFS, why bust someones dreams just because you aren't capable of change.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 7:54 pm
Home and Happy

For you maybe.

I've plenty of people lift themselves out of their British poverty and comfort zone by merely immigrating.

Case in point. I know a former farm hand who earned enough to survive in Britian become a truck driver on mining sites for $150,000 AUD year.

No one is killinganyone's dream, just tempering the dream with some realism.

Would you prefer that we told him he can live like a king on 60k in the best suburbs in Melbourne and his wife will be able to find a job straightaway that allows her hours to match the school so no need to pay for any of the plentiful cheap daycare places that exist ? Oh and of course the family will be secure in the knowledge that they can stay in Australia forever on their 457.

Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Leaving the UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Strange response. You've been thinking about it for years but get the most basic of info and the dream is over after 3 posts?
Thinking and researching are two different things. For years I've always thought it would be nice to move abroad to a warmer climate such as Australia.

I have starting researching this idea for about a month looking at potential salaries, rent costs, utilities cost etc. I have always thought at the back of my mind since researching that I wouldnt be able to do it.

I made a post on here just to confirm from people who already in Australia to give me a reality check. I didnt 'give up within 3 posts' as you have quoted. I just wanted advice and guidance not someone to be judgemental.

Its not like i've packed my bags, booked my flights and was ready to leave. My research and posting on this particular website was the initial stages to get a feel for things before I sit down and work out some numbers. I did mention ive applied for jobs, that was to see the real salary I could expect and to see how quick I can find jobs.

From this point onwards This thread will be CLOSED. I will get a moderator to do it shortly.

Thanks again to all who have given some feedback.

Last edited by Leaving the UK; Oct 21st 2016 at 8:44 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

For you maybe.

FFS what? My advice to OP was to look into a permanent visa and that if they think £25k is ok then their Australia salary might be ok.

Originally Posted by Leaving the UK
Thinking and researching are two different things. For years I've always thought it would be nice to move abroad to a warmer climate such as Australia.

I have starting researching this idea for about a month looking at potential salaries, rent costs, utilities cost etc. I have always thought at the back of my mind since researching that I wouldnt be able to do it.

I made a post on here just to confirm from people who already in Australia to give me a reality check. I didnt 'give up within 3 posts' as you have quoted. I just wanted advice and guidance not someone to be judgemental.
Judgemental? You have read a different thread to me!
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No one is killinganyone's dream, just tempering the dream with some realism.

Would you prefer that we told him he can live like a king on 60k in the best suburbs in Melbourne and his wife will be able to find a job straightaway that allows her hours to match the school so no need to pay for any of the plentiful cheap daycare places that exist ? Oh and of course the family will be secure in the knowledge that they can stay in Australia forever on their 457.

Who mentioned king? Try post 7.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

jimlad007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to thread jump here, so I'm moving to oz on a skilled visa hope to be there in a few months staying with friends with my wife and 2 young children near Melbourne.

I am a glazier by trade and hopefully have some kind of job to go straight into when I arrive I know that glaziers etc aren't the highest paid jobs going probably similar to the 60k mentioned in this thread am I going to struggle like hell to keep us a float????

Either way I'm going as its cost me £10,000 so far getting a visa lol just be nice to know. My children are 6 and 2 years old my wife is able to work etc
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of opportunities here, you and I just dont know where yours would take you. My first thought is there is plenty of parcel processing and transport logistics work in the western subs of Melbourne...but your wife would have to work evenings... These jobs would pay far far more than child care or most jobs she could do in the day time.

IE: Loading refrigerated trucks pays circa 32 bucks per hour and there is plenty of work for that and women do it.

Depends on how far you are willing to dig.... The wife and I have done plenty of night shifts, weekend work and two jobs at a time between us. It has paid dividends though. My wife did part time afternoon/evening shift as a nurse in a nursing home for years whilst our kids were young.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 21st 2016 at 9:59 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

jimlad007 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's cool some of the threads on here can be really off putting, I'm willing to do whateva it takes to make it work and so would she as long as we have food on the table and fuel in the car for road trips that would be great lol we just waste money in the Uk and buy way too much crap we don't need kids could do with a wake up call lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.