Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 week real life trial, has anyone tried it?

6 week real life trial, has anyone tried it?

Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:54 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default 6 week real life trial, has anyone tried it?

Just wondered if anyone had completed a real life trial before making the move. Say 6 weeks or so, go out to OZ, to the area you think you will like. Rent a house, put the kids in school, look at work / business side of things. I suppose just like one of those TV programmes did. You know the one where the relocators went with you. But of course we would not have them helping us.
If anyone has done this before making the move, did it work, help make your minds up etc?
Your comments always welcome. tHANKS.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 8:01 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 week real life trial, has anyone tried it?

no i havent i wouldnt want to come back once im there its gonna be for good

jan xx
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:35 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: 6 week real life trial, has anyone tried it?

Well I am really disappointed, I haven't had any useful replies. Is this a stupid question I am asking?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately 6 weeks just isn't long enough to appreciate the enormity of such a move.

As the vicar once said to the bishop whilst gesturing with his wrist:

"Sex is all very well but there's nowt like the real thing ... "

Three Legs

Originally Posted by cinderella
Well I am really disappointed, I haven't had any useful replies. Is this a stupid question I am asking?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:46 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that going somewhere for 6wks, putting children in school, trying to find work (especially without the right visa), finding accommodation for that period would be too much hassle and expensive. Also most of us are in jobs where taking a 6wk holiday would not be an option or unaffordable to take unpaid leave.

The aspect with TV cameras sticking their nose in is that people may be more open to accommodate such requests as school places, job interviews etc. The TV program I think you are talking about (the guy with a bum chin ), they have their visas and the time when it went out was when visas took longer to process - I for one was not at all surprised no one returned from Oz (too much effort and work had been done beforehand), yes from Europe where visa process is largely irrelevant.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:50 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you answered your own question , its the sort of thing that would only be done on tv , as the have money to waste .
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by walaj
I would have thought that going somewhere for 6wks, putting children in school, trying to find work (especially without the right visa), finding accommodation for that period would be too much hassle and expensive. Also most of us are in jobs where taking a 6wk holiday would not be an option or unaffordable to take unpaid leave.

The aspect with TV cameras sticking their nose in is that people may be more open to accommodate such requests as school places, job interviews etc. The TV program I think you are talking about (the guy with a bum chin ), they have their visas and the time when it went out was when visas took longer to process - I for one was not at all surprised no one returned from Oz (too much effort and work had been done beforehand), yes from Europe where visa process is largely irrelevant.
Good points, but they will not apply to us.

We already have the visa. We were thinking of doing this during the summer holidays next year. Taking the time out from our business will not be an issue. We were going to go to OZ anyway, so thought we would just make it longer and try and make it a realistic trip, not just a holiday.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Perthforme
I think you answered your own question , its the sort of thing that would only be done on tv , as the have money to waste .
So you are calling me thick! That is nice. In my eyes it would not be a waste of money. The waste of money would be not looking into the move properly and making a huge very, very expensive mistake.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Good points, but they will not apply to us.

We already have the visa. We were thinking of doing this during the summer holidays next year. Taking the time out from our business will not be an issue. We were going to go to OZ anyway, so thought we would just make it longer and try and make it a realistic trip, not just a holiday.
Sounds like a brilliant idea, just keep in in mind factors like homesickness, novelty wearing off, the full effect of earning dollars not pounds etc will not kick in within 6 weeks, nor would you experience the full range of climate you get in a year.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:08 am

So you are calling me thick! That is nice. In my eyes it would not be a waste of money. The waste of money would be not looking into the move properly and making a huge very, very expensive mistake.
No can't see the word thick in my reply
But the trip you are on about will cost you and good luck finding a landlord that will let rent a house for only 6 weeks !
A holiday let yeah you can get one of those , but if you want to do everything like you are "living there " for 6 weeks then i think its bonkers!
Put the kids in a new school for then pull them out again why??
Just go on a holiday and do research while there you will have a much better time .
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sounds like a brilliant idea, just keep in in mind factors like homesickness, novelty wearing off, the full effect of earning dollars not pounds etc will not kick in within 6 weeks, nor would you experience the full range of climate you get in a year.
Thanks for your comments. Well that would be the some of the point of doing this. So that if some of those things happened, we would have to cope with them. The whole idea would be for it to be as realistic as possible. We would not have to go to work, but would be looking into how we would transfer our business. So I think at least at the end of it we should have a good idea of what life would be like. Must be better than just going out for 2 week holiday.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:13 am

No can't see the word thick in my reply
But the trip you are on about will cost you and good luck finding a landlord that will let rent a house for only 6 weeks !
A holiday let yeah you can get one of those , but if you want to do everything like you are "living there " for 6 weeks then i think its bonkers!
Put the kids in a new school for then pull them out again why??
Just go on a holiday and do research while there you will have a much better time .
Well you called me stupid.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:21 am

Well you called me stupid.
Take your pc down to the repair shop i think its broken and insulting you , i never called you stupid LOL !
Here i will re-write a reply you might like:

WOW yeah do it man !
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:26 am
Just Joined

stuart-little is an unknown quantity at this point

In theory a good idea, but somehow I dont think a school would accept children for only 6 weeks, would you be willing to buy uniforms? pay school fees etc etc?? Would you allow yourself to spend only what you would expect to earn in aussie dollars whilst you were there?? Also would your children be happy spending their 6 weeks summer holiday at school?? I know mine wouldn't. If you were able to rent a house for only 6 weeks, would you buy furniture bedding, kitchen equipment etc etc??? as furnished houses in Oz are like hens teeth.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Vicki
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:28 am

Take your pc down to the repair shop i think its broken and insulting you , i never called you stupid LOL !
Here i will re-write a reply you might like:

WOW yeah do it man !
There really is no need to be like this.

I am fully aware of the pitfalls of what we are thinking of doing. Money or time will not be an issue. I know we will probably have to get a holiday let and that it will be more expensive. I know putting the kids in school maybe the wrong thing to do, but it could also be good. And if they are willing to do it and a school is happy, why not let them try it out. I am not saying I would do that, but would consider it. This whole thing would be like a life experiment. With the idea that when we come back we will be able to plan out new life armed with loads on real life experiences to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.