Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 months in Melbourne

6 months in Melbourne

Old May 3rd 2005, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 months in Melbourne

We (me, husband and 3 kids 13, 11 and 5 at the time) arrived in Melbourne exactly six months ago today. To begin with we stayed in a holiday chalet in a Big 4 Holiday Park in Coburg. As it was Melbourne Cup week when we arrived, we had real difficulty booking any accomodation and were unable to book serviced apartments which we wanted. Anyway the chalet served us fine, Coburg was not too far from the airport so we just got a taxi there, and it is also close to the city.

We hired a car the second day and began to search out suburbs. We had previously looked at the bayside suburbs of Beaumaris and Mentone and liked these. We particularly liked Mentone because of the schools. We looked around the catholic school and they offered places for the younger two if we rented a house in their catchment zone. We then looked at at three rental houses the same day, we wanted four bedrooms, and they were in short supply. Two of the houses we looked at were in terrible condition. The third one was ok and we applied for that, but got rejected!!!!! We had offered six months rent up front so were surprised not to get the house. The next day we visited another house and it was lovely, perfect location in Mentone. We applied and tried not to get too excited, but luckily we got the house and we are still happily renting here. The rent is $400 per week, which is quite expensive but this house is nice and big and fairly new and was perfect for us. We also bought a 7 seater car around this time.

We moved in to the house on November 16 and kids started school. The youngest two are very happy. My daughter who had started secondary school in London in September went back into grade 6 here, as we were unable to get her into the catholic secondary school in Mentone for January this year. She has now got a place for next Jan and is very happy because she is going with her friends from primary school. Even though it was a hard decision and one which she was not originally happy about, it has worked out for the best for her to repeat grade 6. My youngest had just started year 1 in London and he is in grade 1 here. They had wanted him to repeat prep but I was not too happy about that so after some negotiations he was allowed into grade 1 and is doing fine. The oldest has gone into grade 9 and he goes to school in East Bentleight, a bus ride away. He is not too happy about the move to Australia, but luckily school seems to be going well and he likes it.

We had a mad panic furnishing the house, it was great having a Good Guys and Ikea down the road. K Mart was also great for bedding, towels, kitchen stuff etc. They seem to regularly have 25% off everything sales.

My husband had to leave to return to UK at beginning of December to sort out work and house in the UK. We had a good if a bit lonely Christmas but got into the spirit of things and went to the beach on Christmas Day. We went to our neighbours on Boxing Day and had a really good time. Everyone was so nice and welcoming and a friend of our neighbour invited us to her house for New Year, which turned out to be another great night.

Once the kids returned to school after the summer hols, I started working casual shifts at the local hospital (Sandringham). This has been an experience, completely different from working in London, but I am getting used to it and it does not stress me out too much. Everyone I work with is really nice and helpful. I have also started doing agency shifts now to suss out working in other hospitals.

Husband returned at beginning of March and is busy looking for work in the property business. He has done an agents representative course to get a licence that is absolutely necessary to work in property. He has had a few interviews so hopefully he will get work soon.

Tomorrow I return to the UK (alone) for a month for a family wedding. I dont know how I will feel when I get there. I am happy in Australia and love it here and will be even happier when husband has job. I am looking forward to seeing friends and family but feel it is a bit soon to be going back but it cant be helped and I am hoping I will be looking forward to getting back to Oz by the end of it.

Once I return we hope to buy a house in the next six months. My parents are coming to visit for Christmas and the kids are really looking forward to that.

One thing we all agree on is that we love Melbourne. We love all the sporting events, we love the fact that we can easily drive into the city and park without problems. We love the countryside in the Dandenongs and the Mornington Penninsula. I feel we made the right decision to move here. I feel fairly settled and the younger two children are really settled and happy, the oldest one is not too happy but then he is a hormonal teenager and was not happy in London either, so cant entirely blame the move. Husband is still not sure but whatever happens we will stay the two years and get our citizenship, and decide from there.

Sorry if this post is a bit long and boring but if it helps anyone with their move here I will be happy.

Mel
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months in Melbourne

Thanks Mel, that was really informative. We have been here for 4 months now so have been through the same process as yourselves! Good luck for the trip back to the uk.
Pootle
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:48 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Glad to hear you are settling in well, and wish you all the best for the future. Your post sums it up for me. Moving to another country is a tough process with a lot of headaches involved, but if it's what you truly want to do then they're all worth it. I've only been in Melbourne 2 months and already love it, like yourself.

btw, I have no plans to go back to England, and dread the time that I may have to for any reason, so I commiserate with you. But at least the weather shouldn't be too bad and you'll see people you know

Take it easy

Carl
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pootle and Fireater

Forgot to add that I have made good friends through BE and have found this site to be a great source of information. Thanks everyone who has given me help and advice.

Its a great diversion from the hormonal teenage son!!!!!

Mel