Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 months left on passport?

6 months left on passport?

Old Aug 11th 2004, 2:18 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 months left on passport?

Someone told Nicole (My partner - the real Diddy) that if she has under six months left on her passport, she won't be able to fly to Oz, even as a PR.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Ta,

Paul.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all
Default Re: 6 months left on passport?

Do you have your visa yet? If not, your visa will be put in your current passport whilst you are applying for a new one. However, you will have to travel with both passports (old and new). My sister had the same scenario with her daughter who passport expires in November this year - although they were granted p/r in June this year - same applied - visa in old passport - she is applying for her portuguese passport in October - will travel with both in December.

Hope this helps, Yvette
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:00 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Someone told Nicole (My partner - the real Diddy) that if she has under six months left on her passport, she won't be able to fly to Oz, even as a PR.

Ta,

Paul.
I know some countries insist on you having more than 6 months when you visit as a tourist but I can't imagine it applies to PR?!?!
I would check it out with DIMIA though, to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Get a new one mate well before they issue the visa...problem solved.

Many countries won't let you travel with less than 6mths left - not worth the bother. Remember you may do a stopover
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ta,

Paul.
DIMIA normally expect the passport to be valid at least up to the first entry date when they stamp a visa into a passport.

Other than that there's no '6 months rule' for Australia, you just need a valid passport plus visa as a PR. But some countries you might want to visit *do* have that rule.

It's quicker and cheaper to get a UK passport renewed in the UK. And you'll avoid having the visa in an old passport, which although ok with DIMIA, does carry the risk of delay at checkin every time you are about to fly to Australia.

To keep your life simple - get a new UK passport *before* a visa gets stamped.

Jeremy
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:33 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Ta,

Paul.

Hey Paul

My passport would have only had about six months by the time I flew so I got a new one. All the info you need for this is here http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/_1_applications/1_contents.asp if you're interested. You actually get upto 9 months back of unused passport time too, so you're not doing yourself out of anything
Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Ta,

Paul.
Paul
I had 9 months to run on my passport but decided to get a new one as my visa was about to be issued. It took about a week and they gave me the extra 9 months.

As the others have said I would get it done whilst in the UK as it is more expensive to get it from the Consulate.