Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5000$ car in Perth

5000$ car in Perth

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

acotiga will become famous soon enough
Default 5000$ car in Perth

When we will be arriving in Perth we thought we should quickly buy a car. Since one above the aforementioned sum is out of the question (even this is a little stretched out), I'd like to know if any of you have any recommendations or experience with such a bomb car. We're interested if at 200k+ km, driven in the Australian conditions holds up better than one in Europe. And if so, what brand? This sort of thing. Thx a lot!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5000$ car in Perth

Originally Posted by acotiga
When we will be arriving in Perth we thought we should quickly buy a car. Since one above the aforementioned sum is out of the question (even this is a little stretched out), I'd like to know if any of you have any recommendations or experience with such a bomb car. We're interested if at 200k+ km, driven in the Australian conditions holds up better than one in Europe. And if so, what brand? This sort of thing. Thx a lot!
www.carsguide.com.au
local paper classifieds
It will all depend on the individual car, driving style of the individual driver and the maintenance carried out. It is possible to get a car with less km's for alot less than what dealers charge by looking in the classifieds. In addition, dealers for that range of cars are sometimes dodgy, preying on the desperate people looking for a cheap car, by selling unsafe vehicles.

Last edited by The Bloke; Apr 22nd 2008 at 12:00 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a mondeo for $4500

So far so good... 132k on the clock but it gets us around.

Stu didn't like it as we had an M3 convertible in the UK but hey ho

Would we go back...hmmmm - maybe
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

acotiga will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sammyg
We bought a mondeo for $4500

So far so good... 132k on the clock but it gets us around.

Stu didn't like it as we had an M3 convertible in the UK but hey ho

Would we go back...hmmmm - maybe
You bought it from the dealer or from private?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We got a Mazda Bravo Dual Cab for $4,999. Not a thing wrong with it, too tatty inside for me but it's perfect for Him Outdoors. Got it from the second hand section of a very reputable dealership down here.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

wheep0 is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm $5000 bucks will get you what you would get in the under £ 1000 section in Autotrader back in the Uk.. The prices bring asked for total piles of shite are staggering... If all you need is 4 wheels, a radio and not much more then im sure you will find something suitable....
good luck.....
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

four wheels, radio and no roof sounds good to me, couldn't care less how tatty it is as long as its reasonably cheap to run and starts first time

eve
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Holden Barina for $4k last year - it's a 1992 model and runs perfectly. I took it straight to the garage for a full service when I got it and it needed a total of absolutely nothing done to it - it even had brand new tires!.

Since I have had her (her name is Anne after my Mum ) I have spent nothing on her except some cash for seat covers (luxury ones ) and obviously petrol. She is a beauty and only has a small amount of rust on one side just down the side of the driver door, and a tiny scratch in the bonnet. There is 200,000 km on the clock, and I have done about 10,000 since getting her

I adore my car, she is the best thing I have ever bought
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
I bought a Holden Barina for $4k last year - it's a 1992 model and runs perfectly. I took it straight to the garage for a full service when I got it and it needed a total of absolutely nothing done to it - it even had brand new tires!.

Since I have had her (her name is Anne after my Mum ) I have spent nothing on her except some cash for seat covers (luxury ones ) and obviously petrol. She is a beauty and only has a small amount of rust on one side just down the side of the driver door, and a tiny scratch in the bonnet. There is 200,000 km on the clock, and I have done about 10,000 since getting her

I adore my car, she is the best thing I have ever bought
sounds like you;re in love
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

1992 Holden Barina,( Equivalent to vauxhall cavalier, remember them... I believe) 200, 000 kms on clock, you paid $4k (£1900)
Even if you could fond one in Uk Autotrader as they are mostly now Hienz Bean tins the price would be £ 500 MAX ,and with 120k miles would be lucky to fetch £ 350...even with new tires even tyres...
Still I am glad to see you have a wonderful relationship going with her...
Happy driving and may you have many years of joy with her..

The top marque steal to order internatational car thief rings are now concentrating on used inner city Uk car lots, with porta cabin offices for their Au operations... Never in the history of Automation has so much been asked for the biggest piles of junk except maybe outside of Kazakistan....

Aussi used car salesmen make Del boy and Boycie look like a amatuers....

Any used car salesmen thinking of relocating here, be very afraid...
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:54 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheep0
hmmm $5000 bucks will get you what you would get in the under £ 1000 section in Autotrader back in the Uk.. The prices bring asked for total piles of shite are staggering... If all you need is 4 wheels, a radio and not much more then im sure you will find something suitable....
good luck.....
At least they have,nt been driven on " salted roads " and are in better condition than british cars of the same age............mm
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

and that makes them ask 3 times as much does it?
Are you an aussi used car salesman by any chance

Come on in and buy ,lovely 18 year pice of shite, only 1,000,000 kms on clock , has radio with the new Fm requency on it, even has an arial ,and of course I will throw in car jack as well, only ripping you of 3 -4 times as much as much as you would buy in blighty , but considering you wont find them there now as your dity old salty roads has turned them into beer cans its a bargain.....
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wheep0
1992 Holden Barina,( Equivalent to vauxhall cavalier, remember them... I believe) 200, 000 kms on clock, you paid $4k (£1900)
Even if you could fond one in Uk Autotrader as they are mostly now Hienz Bean tins the price would be £ 500 MAX ,and with 120k miles would be lucky to fetch £ 350...even with new tires even tyres...
Still I am glad to see you have a wonderful relationship going with her...
Happy driving and may you have many years of joy with her..

The top marque steal to order internatational car thief rings are now concentrating on used inner city Uk car lots, with porta cabin offices for their Au operations... Never in the history of Automation has so much been asked for the biggest piles of junk except maybe outside of Kazakistan....

Aussi used car salesmen make Del boy and Boycie look like a amatuers....

Any used car salesmen thinking of relocating here, be very afraid...
Just a quick one but the Barina is a Corsa, I too think second hand cars are way over priced in OZ.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

chris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to all

We just bought a mitsubishi magna 1993 for $1000, its clean and tidy, air con all electrics, auto and we have done a few k's in it now and it has never flickered it was a bargain we think you can find cheap cars if you look about
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

We've just arrived in Perth and I've been shocked by the prices for cars with absolutely crazy mileage. Yet another thing where the price is higher in Oz than the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.