Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:41 am
wombat42

Default Re: 500,000

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its not just you, expensive houses are not just in Sydney, around here Noosa you could easily spend 4 times that on just one house.

Grayling, you probably need to get some investment advice, please dont go to a bank or investment company for their 'free' advice they will only advise what is best for them, dig out a really good accountant, then see another one to check the advice is correct.
A family sized house in a middle class suburb of Sydney or Melbourne costs
around $700K or $800k so its not all that much, however if he is unsure what to do with his money he can always donate it to help protect a very cute endangered Australian species, the Wombat, just make a cheque out to a
Mr. Wombat42

Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:06 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wombat42
l would buy Tasmania.
Unless you want to live in Sydney or Melbourne you can buy a reasonably good house for 300K, and maybe invest the other 200K in shares or a high interest fixed term bank account.
You can rent a good house in OZ for 15k per year, put all the 500k in a high interest bank account earning 6% interest, which will give you an income of
30K per year, use 15k of this to pay the rent and you still have 15k per year left which would atleast pay all your bills each year eg. water, electricity bills,
car registartion etc.
Remember that you will be taxed on your interest, so not paying a mortgage will always be more tax efficient than earning interest to pay your rent; unless you can make approximately double the mortgage interest rate.

Obviously you will need some time to make sure that you have made the right decision and to find the area you feel comortable in. If you want flexibility in the short term then you may want to put it in the bank or short-term deposit. EasyStreet offer 5.4% (currently) with instant access but you are limited to 250k. ING gives 5.25% with instant access, but also 5.4% on 90 day terms (with the option to withdraw 1/4 of the money without penalty). There is a railway credit union offering a better rate but you need to have railway connections

I found Money magazine useful for listing out the top 10 of financial thingys(e.g. savings accounts, credit cards, mortgages, managed funds, superfunds, etc...).

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:21 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave english
hello all

when we land in oz we will have 500k in oz dollars just wondering what people would do, ie buy rental place, buy house with no mortgage. any ideas would be very welcome.
Hi Dave

Welcome to the site.

Cant understand all the negitive remarks about your question?? Please dont be put off posting here.

In this day and age $500k int much as someone else pointed out works out about £200k average price of a house over here.

We will be going with about the same we will rent first see how the work goes etc then buy when we are settled not gonna use it all though we are going to Tasmania and you can get some nice properties for about $200k so rest will be used to travel, party get back to uk for visits etc

Kay
Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

dave english is an unknown quantity at this point

wow some of you people are touchy.

This will be my first and last post me thinks.

Anyway thanks to those with sensible replys,the rest of you can suck my log.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Chocolate?
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

what a charmer!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jimtrish
what a charmer!
Nice to know having a fad wad doesn't affect your sense of humour
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:22 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't want to wind anyone up but We will be going with a lot more than that.

I would also like similar answers and have posted this before.

Before anyone has a dig, I am probably 25 years older than most on here.
What is that worth?

Would you swap?

I do not know what to do for the best.

As most will realise my money is the end result of paying a mortgage for the past 25 years and from having several years when the kids had grown up and left home.

Best wishes

G
Good bloody luck mate, you have grafted all your days for your brass!! enjoy it.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

dave english is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by madsad
Good bloody luck mate, you have grafted all your days for your brass!! enjoy it.
Thanks mate,

its a bit of a downer to know that some of these negative/sad people are also going to oz.

SWINDON :scared:
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate,

its a bit of a downer to know that some of these negative/sad people are also going to oz.

SWINDON :scared:
I also wish you well from sunny swindon! just thought your original post was a tad daft. hey di ho
have fun with your hard earned dosh
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:28 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Whether to rent or buy,to invest, to just spend the lot and grow old disgracefully
That would be my advice G
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:43 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
Makes you wonder what the boys might be doing with their right hands?
Steady on there Lucy

looks like you're going to be trouble on Saturday!!!

D D
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Remember that you will be taxed on your interest, so not paying a mortgage will always be more tax efficient than earning interest to pay your rent; unless you can make approximately double the mortgage interest rate.

Obviously you will need some time to make sure that you have made the right decision and to find the area you feel comortable in. If you want flexibility in the short term then you may want to put it in the bank or short-term deposit. EasyStreet offer 5.4% (currently) with instant access but you are limited to 250k. ING gives 5.25% with instant access, but also 5.4% on 90 day terms (with the option to withdraw 1/4 of the money without penalty). There is a railway credit union offering a better rate but you need to have railway connections

I found Money magazine useful for listing out the top 10 of financial thingys(e.g. savings accounts, credit cards, mortgages, managed funds, superfunds, etc...).

Cheers
Alistair

Hurrah!
A polite and helpful response.

Lots of green eyed monsters on here me thinks....

At this rate I'll be going without a pot to p**s in, but no matter.

It's irrelevant what your budget is, everyone still has their limitations. Shopping with more notes in your wallet does not remove the usual dilemmas and choices.

I think renting whilst you find your feet is a good idea - give yourself some breathing space to find the ideal location to live before buying somewhere.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:17 am
Monkey

In article <[email protected]> ,
member25709@british_expats.com (lucyb) wrote:

> *Subject:* Re: 500,000
    > *From:* lucyb <member25709@british_expats.com>
    > *Date:* Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:02:53 +0000
    >
    >
    > > I didn't get where I am today visiting left-handed web-sites :)
    > >
    > > In any case all websites should be capable of being surfed one-
    > > handed ...
    >
    > Makes you wonder what the boys might be doing with their right
    > hands? :scared:
    >
    > --
    > Lucy
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

Why just the boys? I know the girls... do.. too.. Don't be shy now.

--
Paul
http://www.labrose.com

Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:17 am
Monkey

In article <[email protected]> ,
member31151@british_expats.com (dave english) wrote:

> *Subject:* Re: 500,000
    > *From:* dave english <member31151@british_expats.com>
    > *Date:* Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:41:48 +0000
    >
    >
    > > Good bloody luck mate, you have grafted all your days for your brass!!
    > > enjoy it. :D
    >
    > Thanks mate,
    >
    > its a bit of a downer to know that some of these negative/sad people are
    > also going to oz.
    >
    > SWINDON :scared:
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

FFS! You only prepared to go to a country full of yes men?

--
Paul
http://www.labrose.com