Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

50% of UK migrants return, where is this stat from?

50% of UK migrants return, where is this stat from?

Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 50% of UK migrants return, where is this stat from?

I read on a post that 50% of UK migrants return, quite a shocking statistic! Does anyone know the source of this statistic?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:03 pm
WBB

Default Re: 50% of UK migrants return, where is this stat from?

Originally posted by Jamesy
I read on a post that 50% of UK migrants return, quite a shocking statistic! Does anyone know the source of this statistic?
bondipom quotes that one quite often, maybe he could shed some light on it?

Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:18 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hard to believe its that high but each to their own I guess.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:46 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

99.9% of British tourists leave Aus.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Jamesy
Yeah but surely the important statistic (if any of them are) is the proportion of these that returned because it didn't work out rather than those who returned because they wanted to after having a great time in Oz.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:54 pm
WBB

Originally posted by sjn2003
Yeah but surely the important statistic (if any of them are) is the proportion of these that returned because it didn't work out rather than those who returned because they wanted to after having a great time in Oz.
another angle is that there are a lot who return after a temporary overseas position with their job, these too would be included in that figure.

Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:56 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Megalania

Your point, if you have one......?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:04 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

you can find all the immigration stats on the dimia website!!!

sue
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:06 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Megalania

.....wasn't wasted

So wot about remaining 0.1%?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:09 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
PMSL......wasn't wasted

PS. Wot about remaining 0.1%?

Phoenixuk2oz
Fertilizer ... Out there ... somewhere.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:10 pm
Banned

Originally posted by chippy
Your point, if you have one......?
0.3% of long term British migrants leave.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure where BP gets the 50% figure from (although I've used it! ).

However, I think it's high, ~40% may be closer.

I base the 40% on:

i) the ~4,000 UK permanent departures

ii) the average ~10,000 UK permanent arrivals

iii) an assumption that over time i) doesn't change much. If anything, the number of permanent departures of ALL immigrants - as a %age of number of permanent arrivals - is increasing. In 1993-94 it was 39.1%, in 2002-03 it was 53.7%. This probably reflects the increasing global mobility of the immigrant workforce.

Here is the main link I used.

Interestingly, the largest chunk of Britons that left Oz permanently in 2002-03 had lived in Oz for 5+ years.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a good point. I got it from here a long time ago. I think the figure quoted was about 51% so in the scientific expats tradition I will have to back it up.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

1990 to 2000 there were 39957 permanent departures and 112468 permanent arrivals from the UK. That makes a 35% departure rate.

Something to note is official statisticians have critisised the methodology for double counting certain types of permanent arrivals and undercounting permanent departures.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 4:45 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

How/ where would UK citizens, gaining Aus PR, then getting Aus citizenship but subsequently leaving Aus, be counted in the stats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.