Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 weeks on sunday

5 weeks on sunday

Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 weeks on sunday

We ve been here 5 weeks on sunday and its just flown by,and just loving every minute of it,so for you guys waiting to come out,it ll be worth the wait,as long as you take things as they come and except that things are different over here,what i mean is that some people seem to expect a little england in australia, and that doesnt work at all,quite frankly we ve come over here cos we wanted to get away from england, so we welcome the change,if your prepared to do that you ll b fine
Well gary has had a job offer in writing now,and after asking a few people in the now it sounds like its a good starting offer,so we re pleased about that.Kerry has applied for a few shop jobs just to keep her busy until she goes to college in febuary,so we ll see how they go,and im off to stock up at the warehouse on monday so i ll b ready to start work myself
We re still exploring and finding more places all the time,in bayside so far i think my favourite places are wellington point,Cleveland,and Manly,Cleveland theres a nice lot of shops and resturants over looking the marina its just lovely,we ve been to the Hogsbreath a couple of times for a meal which is very nice and the tex mex is also nice,one thing that is very different to england is that by 10.30 in the e vening they are closing,lol we got thrown out of the hogsbreath,the last ones in there but its something we will get used to,we ll just have to go out a bit earlier thats all.Alexndra hills is very nice to,some lovely houses there lthough theres not lot to do there,but thn no where here is far in th car to get to,and it only takes us 25 mins to get into Brisbane,not bad going at all.
We ve been down to the Gold coast again,and ive got to say the places that were on our favourites list before we came out here we dont actually like that much now we ve seen them,and places we hadnt really thought about we really like,strange the impression you get of places when you read about them and how different they turn out o be when you actually get there.We ve been to helnsvale north,and thought it to be very nice but very much pleasantville,stetford wives sprang to mind very much,almost to eat and tidy,then we wnt to pacific pines another one that was top of our list,but we thought although we didnt dislike it,its all so new it doesnt really have any character in our opinion anyway,i dont want to offend anyone who lives there,this is just our thought s we ve drove around.We went to broad beach Waters and hated it,everywhere seemed so closed in and close togther,didnt go to broadbach itself though,but pacific fair shoping centre is right near there and it was just fab,a great place to go,Mermaid Waters was just gorgeous although i dont think we d be ble to afford those places by the water shame it would be lovely.Ashmore,now this place i really like we ve been back a few times and it has real charactor,maybe because its a bit older than some of the areas we looked at,its established,with a mixture of old and new houses,and there seems plenty to do there with a couple of shopping centers also.Varsity Lakes is another one that was top of our list to,but again,for us its to new with not alot of character,just personal preference,but that was what we thought.
We re meeting sue2 and family at the airport tomorrow,they are stopping at main beach so i guess we ll get to know some more areas on the gold coast,i ll keep you posted as we go along.
Differences we ve noticed since we ve been here,well what can i say things do seem to take bit longer than the uk,we re still waiting for broadband, we ve been waiting for 3 weeks now and they tell us they havent even processed our account yet,it looks like it ll be another 2 weeks,in england we d have been connected the next day,but to speed things up we ve been and bought a router with modem so we can connect ourelves,but theres another thing,we went into the shop and asked for a router,and the bloke looked at us funny and asked What,so we showed him what we wanted,he said you mean a modem,ok,how where we to know that router or root is a very bad word here they pronounce it rowter,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm we wont make that mistake again,lol.
Shops close at 5.30 on the dot and 4.30 on saturday,which i have to say is a good thing although its taken us a few weeks to get used to its much better for the workers.The shops also are more like england used to be with butchers and bakers and fishmonger seperate,you can buy these thing in the supermarkets but theres not so much choice as in england,its not bad or wrong just different.
Also when we went to insure the car we were asked did we want third party or fully comp,we said fully comp not realising the third party in compulsary even if you have fully comp,something we didnt realise,apparantly fully comp doesnt cover the people who are in the cars just the cars themslves.But these things are just fine just as long as you know.
When you rent out a house the rent covers the rates and water rates something that doesnt normally happen in england, so this makes the rent not seem so expensive after all, and of course you get more house for your money than in england.
Well we ve been looking for puppies ,beware they re in all the pet shops here and adoreble they are to,we promised kerry she could have one when we got here as we left our lovely pooch back home with some lovely new owners.They seem to go for x breeds alot here, in fact most of the dogs you see ar x breeds and the pets shops tll me that they make better pets because they have a better temperament,well we bought home a gorgeous apricot coloured smoodle today,yes dont laugh at the name i couldt believe i to start with the names they give the dogs, but its easy to see where they get them from,ours is a cross between a maltese and a poodle and shes only 8 weeks old and so tiny shes beautiful.

i ll keep you posted,tracey

Last edited by scissors; Aug 19th 2005 at 10:20 am.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:25 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 weeks on sunday

Originally Posted by scissors
We ve been here 5 weeks on sunday and its just flown by,and just loving every minute of it,so for you guys waiting to come out,it ll be worth the wait,as long as you take things as they come and except that things are different over here,what i mean is that some people seem to expect a little england in australia, and that doesnt work at all,quite frankly we ve come over here cos we wanted to get away from england, so we welcome the change,if your prepared to do that you ll b fine
Well gary has had a job offer in writing now,and after asking a few people in the now it sounds like its a good starting offer,so we re pleased about that.Kerry has applied for a few shop jobs just to keep her busy until she goes to college in febuary,so we ll see how they go,and im off to stock up at the warehouse on monday so i ll b ready to start work myself
We re still exploring and finding more places all the time,in bayside so far i think my favourite places are wellington point,Cleveland,and Manly,Cleveland theres a nice lot of shops and resturants over looking the marina its just lovely,we ve been to the Hogsbreath a couple of times for a meal which is very nice and the tex mex is also nice,one thing that is very different to england is that by 10.30 in the e vening they are closing,lol we got thrown out of the hogsbreath,the last ones in there but its something we will get used to,we ll just have to go out a bit earlier thats all.Alexndra hills is very nice to,some lovely houses there lthough theres not lot to do there,but thn no where here is far in th car to get to,and it only takes us 25 mins to get into Brisbane,not bad going at all.
We ve been down to the Gold coast again,and ive got to say the places that were on our favourites list before we came out here we dont actually like that much now we ve seen them,and places we hadnt really thought about we really like,strange the impression you get of places when you read about them and how different they turn out o be when you actually get there.We ve been to helnsvale north,and thought it to be very nice but very much pleasantville,stetford wives sprang to mind very much,almost to eat and tidy,then we wnt to pacific pines another one that was top of our list,but we thought although we didnt dislike it,its all so new it doesnt really have any character in our opinion anyway,i dont want to offend anyone who lives there,this is just our thought s we ve drove around.We went to broad beach Waters and hated it,everywhere seemed so closed in and close togther,didnt go to broadbach itself though,but pacific fair shoping centre is right near there and it was just fab,a great place to go,Mermaid Waters was just gorgeous although i dont think we d be ble to afford those places by the water shame it would be lovely.Ashmore,now this place i really like we ve been back a few times and it has real charactor,maybe because its a bit older than some of the areas we looked at,its established,with a mixture of old and new houses,and there seems plenty to do there with a couple of shopping centers also.Varsity Lakes is another one that was top of our list to,but again,for us its to new with not alot of character,just personal preference,but that was what we thought.
We re meeting sue2 and family at the airport tomorrow,they are stopping at main beach so i guess we ll get to know some more areas on the gold coast,i ll keep you posted as we go along.
Differences we ve noticed since we ve been here,well what can i say things do seem to take bit longer than the uk,we re still waiting for broadband, we ve been waiting for 3 weeks now and they tell us they havent even processed our account yet,it looks like it ll be another 2 weeks,in england we d have been connected the next day,but to speed things up we ve been and bought a router with modem so we can connect ourelves,but theres another thing,we went into the shop and asked for a router,and the bloke looked at us funny and asked What,so we showed him what we wanted,he said you mean a modem,ok,how where we to know that router or root is a very bad word here they pronounce it rowter,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm we wont make that mistake again,lol.
Shops close at 5.30 on the dot and 4.30 on saturday,which i have to say is a good thing although its taken us a few weeks to get used to its much better for the workers.The shops also are more like england used to be with butchers and bakers and fishmonger seperate,you can buy these thing in the supermarkets but theres not so much choice as in england,its not bad or wrong just different.
Also when we went to insure the car we were asked did we want third party or fully comp,we said fully comp not realising the third party in compulsary even if you have fully comp,something we didnt realise,apparantly fully comp doesnt cover the people who are in the cars just the cars themslves.But these things are just fine just as long as you know.
When you rent out a house the rent covers the rates and water rates something that doesnt normally happen in england, so this makes the rent not seem so expensive after all, and of course you get more house for your money than in england.
Well we ve been looking for puppies ,beware they re in all the pet shops here and adoreble they are to,we promised kerry she could have one when we got here as we left our lovely pooch back home with some lovely new owners.They seem to go for x breeds alot here, in fact most of the dogs you see ar x breeds and the pets shops tll me that they make better pets because they have a better temperament,well we bought home a gorgeous apricot coloured smoodle today,yes dont laugh at the name i couldt believe i to start with the names they give the dogs, but its easy to see where they get them from,ours is a cross between a maltese and a poodle and shes only 8 weeks old and so tiny shes beautiful.

Hi Tracey
Keep up your posts I'm really enjoying them as you're looking at all the places on our list. Interesting to hear your opinions good and bad as the real estate sites don't give true impression.

Post some photos of your new smoodle.....she sounds lovely.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hiya yes shes gorgeous, i ll post some photos very soon,where are you thinking of going,and when are you coming over?

tracey
Originally Posted by The A Team
Hi Tracey
Keep up your posts I'm really enjoying them as you're looking at all the places on our list. Interesting to hear your opinions good and bad as the real estate sites don't give true impression.

Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

hiya yes shes gorgeous, i ll post some photos very soon,where are you thinking of going,and when are you coming over?

tracey
Sounds great. Had a look at your pictures on photopost, lovely .

It's good to hear about your perspectives on the different areas too. Pacific Pines is one of the places I've been thinking about and Alex hills but I think like you, I will have a scout around when I get there. Keep us posted.

Tracey

can't wait to see the pics of your new puppy
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:43 am
BLC

Excellent post

Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

hi tracey,pacific pines is nice,but we thought bit to new it l be better in few years time when its estblished bit,but alexandra hills is nice,when do you think you ll be over?

tracey
Originally Posted by tracey.d
Sounds great. Had a look at your pictures on photopost, lovely .

It's good to hear about your perspectives on the different areas too. Pacific Pines is one of the places I've been thinking about and Alex hills but I think like you, I will have a scout around when I get there. Keep us posted.

Tracey

can't wait to see the pics of your new puppy
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:44 am
ABCDiamond

We ve been here 5 weeks on sunday <<..snip...>>>
What a long post.... I started to read it just as my daughter came to say goodnight, and she started reading it.... that delayed her bedtime by 15 minutes

Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sorry thought id make the most of haveing the pc,not often i gt on it these days as we re all sharing a computer at the mo and we cant use it to much during the dat cos i cuts off the phone,so was your daughtr intersted,you ll have to bring her round to see the new addition to the family
Thanks for your advise earlier by the way.

tracey
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What a long post.... I started to read it just as my daughter came to say goodnight, and she started reading it.... that delayed her bedtime by 15 minutes
Old Aug 19th 2005, 11:42 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

magic tracey, i love reading your posts. keep it up.....the best advert for oz for a while.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

hi tracey,pacific pines is nice,but we thought bit to new it l be better in few years time when its estblished bit,but alexandra hills is nice,when do you think you ll be over?

tracey
Not sure yet. Still trying to sell the house . Have got an extension on the starting date for my new job so I have until the end of the year before I have to start job hunting again . I want to be there now though
Old Aug 20th 2005, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks soapy how you liking sydney?we re coming there for the new year,us and a few others i think

tracey
Well picked up sue2 this morning from the airport and took them to main beach,gosh it seems wierd to see them here after getting together with them so many times in the uk,come on the rest of our mates what r u doing still in the uk

traceyQUOTE=soapy]magic tracey, i love reading your posts. keep it up.....the best advert for oz for a while. [/QUOTE]
Old Aug 20th 2005, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hi Tracey
Only just read your thread as the computer has been away to be backed up and checked out by an I.T. friend ready for when we take it to OZ. Thanks so much for your ace post it is really informative and helps us when we arrive. It sounds as though things are going well for you at the moment, I am really pleased for you. Well done Gary on your job, Good luck Kerry with finding one and Tracey my hair hasn't been cut since January(growing it!) so will be due for a trim when I get over - can you fit me in?
Please give Sue2 a big hug for me I've been thinking of her for the last couple of days imagining where she was on her journey. Glad to hear they have arrived safe & sound.
House should hopefully complete on 9th September. We have our shippers booked for 5th & 6th September. Sods law I've had 6 weeks off school and thoses are the days I should be starting school again! Oh well only a few more weeks left.
Take care all and can't wait till we are over there with you.
Karen x
Old Aug 21st 2005, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Good luck with th house karen,cant wait to see you all over here,i ll pass on your regards to sue,their coming over to ours on wednesday to scout around this area,i know their looking around the gold coast today,it was so good to se then yestrday i felt myself getting excited in the car on the way to the airport,lol,the kids slept all of the second part of the flight so that was good.

take care,speak soon,tracey
Originally Posted by karenjc
Hi Tracey
Only just read your thread as the computer has been away to be backed up and checked out by an I.T. friend ready for when we take it to OZ. Thanks so much for your ace post it is really informative and helps us when we arrive. It sounds as though things are going well for you at the moment, I am really pleased for you. Well done Gary on your job, Good luck Kerry with finding one and Tracey my hair hasn't been cut since January(growing it!) so will be due for a trim when I get over - can you fit me in?
Please give Sue2 a big hug for me I've been thinking of her for the last couple of days imagining where she was on her journey. Glad to hear they have arrived safe & sound.
House should hopefully complete on 9th September. We have our shippers booked for 5th & 6th September. Sods law I've had 6 weeks off school and thoses are the days I should be starting school again! Oh well only a few more weeks left.
Take care all and can't wait till we are over there with you.
Karen x
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:18 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The A Team
Hi Tracey

Guess what Tracey - another for the GC!!! LOL
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:36 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Brill post Tracey,

Thanks for the insight.

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.