Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 Months on............My Story

5 Months on............My Story

Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 Months on............My Story

well , while since i posted on here - been here nearly 5 months and have lots of mixed feelings - this is what i discovered so far...
lived in North for few months initally - them moved to south(port kennedy) due to husbands job - actually prefer it down south and properties are much cheaper.
utility bills quite high in comparison to the wages we get paid!! we are running a pool and it is very expensive to run especially during the summer - it runs for 8 hours and can cost(depending on horse power)2 units per hour which is very expensive but there you go!
wages here are low and i think that the cost of living is quite expensive - some things are dearer than uk , some are same and some are cheaper.
I am a property manager and i had to do a 7.5 day course at REIWA at a cost of $1000 so i could get a lisence to do what i did in uk!! got a job within a week though
as opposed to england - you have to pay for all school books and that can be quite expensive, not a great deal of things for kids to do - perth has one pleasure park which is a bit of a shock because where i lived there were a lot within an hour or so drive!

dont truly know at this point whether i am 100% certain of staying - but if i decide to leave perth in future may try an eastern state!!

keep you posted
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:06 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hey!

you cant leave.....kev likes your curries too much!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:10 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

What does a property manager do? Is there much demand for that role, and what kind of pay is it?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Stormz
What does a property manager do? Is there much demand for that role, and what kind of pay is it?
Manages a Rent roll for a real estate agent, paperwork plus inspections, finding tenants etc. If on Casual $15/$16 an hour.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Months on............My Story

Originally posted by thewoods
well , while since i posted on here - been here nearly 5 months and have lots of mixed feelings - this is what i discovered so far...
lived in North for few months initally - them moved to south(port kennedy) due to husbands job - actually prefer it down south and properties are much cheaper.
utility bills quite high in comparison to the wages we get paid!! we are running a pool and it is very expensive to run especially during the summer - it runs for 8 hours and can cost(depending on horse power)2 units per hour which is very expensive but there you go!
wages here are low and i think that the cost of living is quite expensive - some things are dearer than uk , some are same and some are cheaper.
I am a property manager and i had to do a 7.5 day course at REIWA at a cost of $1000 so i could get a lisence to do what i did in uk!! got a job within a week though
as opposed to england - you have to pay for all school books and that can be quite expensive, not a great deal of things for kids to do - perth has one pleasure park which is a bit of a shock because where i lived there were a lot within an hour or so drive!

dont truly know at this point whether i am 100% certain of staying - but if i decide to leave perth in future may try an eastern state!!

keep you posted
Thanks for the update!

Yep, Perth only has Adventure World.
And then AQWA and Scitech are things also for kids. But not much else.

Yep, keep us posted!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:21 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

See? No-one listens when I say that Perth is boring to live in comapred to the UK. Better lifestyle/weather... but not a hell of alot to do or places to go.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:41 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

See? No-one listens when I say that Perth is boring to live in comapred to the UK. Better lifestyle/weather... but not a hell of alot to do or places to go.
Have you tried Prospecting for Gold
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've said quite a few times that Perth is small, isolated and too far away from everywhere else. I'd find it very boring after a few months - there's an awful lot of desert to travel thru or airfares to pay before you reach anywhere else of interest. I can't understand the fascination with it.

Whenever I've said something along those lines I've been told by people there that it's wonderful with plenty to do and see, and that they're going for a quiet life. That may well be true for a year or so, but surely most would-be immigrants are expecting to spend the rest of their life there. Maybe they should consider how they'd feel after 5-10 years - probably pretty fed up with Rottnest/Margaret River by then!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:15 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thewoods

Hi There!!! I've not got your email address and I don't know your phone number!! Send me a pm if you want to chat!!

At least you have a job now!! Well done!

Maybe it's just the settling in period? I keep getting told that it takes time? Although I do agree with everyone who says it's boring in Perth. Dull and for the retired lot!!

Hope hubby (wont mention names!?) is getting on ok, my hubby is still suffering with his bad back and having acupuncture tomorrow!!!!

The eastern states may be the answer, not sure due to the house prices? You want to ask on here. We wouldn't do that for the financial side of it, couldn't afford to move all our things again! Hope you are all ok down there, we are visiting friends shortly so send us a pm and I'll pop in and see you?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray

Maybe it's just the settling in period? I keep getting told that it takes time? Although I do agree with everyone who says it's boring in Perth. Dull and for the retired lot!!
Hey

I might be one of the retired lot soon

I'm not So daft as to go and live there though.

G
Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:55 pm
Merlot

Default Do keep posting

Thank you for an honest post and do keep the Forum informed with how you are settling and feeling.

I think this is really useful for those that are thinking of moving or just on their way, hearing your goods & bads.

Sometimes it is hard for those of us that have been through the settling phase to give a up to date picture of life. I think a lot of those in the UK have been feeling a little down and we have had a spurt of bad vibes and negative feelings.

Hope things go well.

All the best
Merlot

Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:21 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Grayling
Hey

I might be one of the retired lot soon

I'm not So daft as to go and live there though.

G

Woops I remember now!!! Sorry!!! lol
Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Well if we all liked the same thing we'd be a boring lot. I can understand some saying Perth is boring, but I for one love it. We do far more here than we ever did in the Uk & there is so much for the kids (& us) to do. We don't need theme parks all the time, haven't bothered with Adventure World yet will wait for guests with children & go together. The kids are off snorkelling in the morning, now they couldn't do that in Aylesbury. I don't think we've even scratched the surface here yet, there is so much to see & do, maybe not all the cultural highlights & history the UK has to offer, but we're easily pleased and the natural world is far more exciting. I might change my mind in years to come, but I am happy to be here and can't believe how lucky we are.

Loopy
Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:44 pm
Superfreak!!

Yep, there is that.... snorkelling is fantastic (go to Mettems Pool... brilliant), and of course so are the beaches (boogie boarding, surfing etc). If you don`t like beaches or the water though you`re stuffed.

I think people could make a fortune if they could come up with a good entertainment idea around Perth... maybe a dry ski/snowboard place or something.

There`s a cheaper alternative to Adventure World (which is really mainly for the tube slides)... there`s a tube water slide place in Lesmurdie. Can`t remember what it`s called.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Hubby went there weekend before last -trying different areas out, going closer to home tomorrow with some locals who are keen to show us good spots. It's amazing what you can see only feet out from the shore.

It's not Ascot you mean is it Stormz? If it is it's closed down now. There's also the Cables place down near Spearwood & the water slides at Hillarys.

Luckily we like the beach - much cheaper!
Loopy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.