Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 days in Brisbane, how do we make the most of it

Wikiposts

5 days in Brisbane, how do we make the most of it

Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:45 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 5 days in Brisbane, how do we make the most of it

Oh wow thanks everyone for your suggestions I've written em in a little book and have been googling the places, everywhere looks fab

Steve great post cheers for all the info, I will deffo look out for the bats if nothing else!!!, I lurve bats

Hope we do get to meet Polly, but if not next time or when your in Tas

It goes without saying 5 days is not long enough but we will loads of time to explore when we do finally emigrate.

P
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:29 am
stevenpoole9

You're biggest problem is going to be jet-lag if you are flying from the UK.
You'll end up "power-walking" on the Esplanades at 5 o'clock in the morning, like everyone else. Most importantly, enjoy it. Australia is a fabulous place to visit, however long you're there for.

Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

the 4th is my birthday so WAS gonna say pop by when you visit Claire on The Gold Coast, but maybe not, I'll prob be unconscious in the garden somewhere ...
Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by debbiemc
lesley cant believe you're off so quickly!! if you're free for an hour tommorow come and join us at brewsters
Hiya Debbie and Kay, Enjoy yourselves tomorrow. We have the packers coming a day early ie tomorrow. I'm just taking a break now but it has been full steam ahead from tomorrow on we have just the beds and lounge suite left. Nothing to cook on no steam iron or dryer etc. LOL. We will have to eat out from tomorrow evening onwards and move in with our son for the last couple of days. I might be lucky and meet up with some of you on the other side
Take care and thanks for the lovely evening and it was great to meet so many of you.
Better go now and start again
Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:51 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

You should have a meal at the Mt Cootha lookout - great panoramic views over Brissie, bayside and for Kms around. Also some good trails.

O'Reillys lodge is also great at Binna Burra.

R
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Poss....

You just HAVE to go and spend at least a day on Nth Stradbroke(especially if Fraser Island is too far) and go for a swim in The Brown Lake(full of tea tree oil). Also, have a beer in the beer garden of the Pt Lookout pub, incredible view!!

Are you heading down south too??

H
Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to come down to the GC. Go to Surfers and go up Q1 - fantastic views, then go to Infinity which is wicked. Have a wander, see how tacky but wierdly great the place is, then get back in the car and pop down the bottom end and pay us a visit - may have a pool by then.

Whatever you do will be fab and you'll have a great time. You may not suffer jet lag, I never have done.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:43 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

have a ferry trip over to moreton island and feed the wild dolphins, and go sand tobogganing
http://www.tangalooma.com/tangalooma...es/default.asp
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
You're biggest problem is going to be jet-lag if you are flying from the UK.
You'll end up "power-walking" on the Esplanades at 5 o'clock in the morning, like everyone else. Most importantly, enjoy it. Australia is a fabulous place to visit, however long you're there for.
cheers we will be in Penang for 8 days before getting to Brissy, so hopefully wont be too jet lagged

I was shocking when I went to Perth just couldnt sleep at night for weeks, was there for 6 months so got used to it, but so much so that I couldnt sleep for weeks when we got back to UK!!! Also going to try some Melatonin this time, we are stopping a night in KL on the way back too.

Thanks everyone so much info, dont know where to start with it all!!!

Reckon first job is to buy a detailed map of the area, i've only got a wall map of Oz so a lot of the smaller places your talking about arent on it.

Paul may join you in the garden later, sounds like we'll need a lie down with all the things to do

Hels dont think we'll get down as far as you this time, we will hire a car would be good if we could all meet up somehow??? but if not this time next time.

Rob just googled Mt Cootha fab views, reckon thats a must

Kelli already looked into the ferrys reckon Moreton island is a must too, its the nearest island to the city isnt it???

and Lesley me old mucker, hope everything goes well with the packers and we will definatley meet up one day on the other side

Possoms
Old Feb 16th 2006, 12:17 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: 5 days in Brisbane, how do we make the most of it

I would highly recommend doing an evening tour of the city on the back of a harley trike....did this last year on our reccy trip and it was really good. you get a really good feel for the city and taken to all the sites, mt cootha etc and its really cool. there are lots of co.s that do this. I can give you the no of the guy that did ours if you want.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:22 am
stevenpoole9

The best map to buy is a UBD. You can order one from www.ubd.com.au It's a good value map with the Gold Coadt and Sunshine Coast included. For the local attractions etc, they are available from every hotel foyer and the Airports.

Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

ooohhh, lesley, how exciting you were missed today mrs but we had a good talk behind your back though every one wishes you well and make sure you keep in touch wont you?????

have you heard andrew got his visa today

if we dont hear from you for a while, we know you'll be crossing the big pond eh!!

all the best and hope you all have a very safe flight and happy landings,

lots and lots of love and good wishes,

debs xxxxx

sorry kay nicked your thread oh well, you've had too many replies anyway
Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by debbiemc
ooohhh, lesley, how exciting you were missed today mrs but we had a good talk behind your back though every one wishes you well and make sure you keep in touch wont you?????

have you heard andrew got his visa today

if we dont hear from you for a while, we know you'll be crossing the big pond eh!!

all the best and hope you all have a very safe flight and happy landings,

lots and lots of love and good wishes,

debs xxxxx

sorry kay nicked your thread oh well, you've had too many replies anyway
Jeezus your like a whirling thingy I have posted a thread to you on the barbie, clear your pm box
Old Feb 16th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Jeezus your like a whirling thingy I have posted a thread to you on the barbie, clear your pm box

i'm multi tasking barbie, aus, immi !!!!!!!!oh yeah and pm's!!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 12:47 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

What a great thread! its given me lots of suggestions for things to do on our reccie later this year. We are going for 4 weeks to Brisbane! Can't wait!