4x4 Car Help

Old May 15th 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of
Default 4x4 Car Help

I am thinking of a 4x4 car when we move over in August. I would like to go camping and visit places like Moreton Island etc.

I liked the look of the Hyundai Santa Fe.

Can anyone tell me if they have one nad if it is okay for offroad. Some of the 4x4's you see would never be able to go offroad.

Any help would be appreciated

Bobby
Old May 15th 2007, 8:48 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4x4 Car Help

Bobby, there's a lot of 4x4 info in this thread -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376751

Buzzy
Old May 15th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

In my opinion, get a manual car, and ensure it has a low range gear box.

If your after a cheap, but capable off roader the Kia Sportage is very Capable. With a bigger budget I'd go for the Toyota Prada.

Avoid Mitsubishi, my Pajero cost me hundereds of dollars and the still couldn't sort out the intermittent electrical problem.

regards,
65KK
Old May 15th 2007, 10:05 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought a Toyota klugger ( only comes in auto ) got 7 seats and we have had it off road a few times and its made it through ok !
1st time was through some very deep sand and with the tyres let down it was doing as well as the prado behind us

Toyota have just facelifted the 70 series look on www.toyota.com.au this is the number one 4x4 used in the outback , above and below ground.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
I am thinking of a 4x4 car when we move over in August. I would like to go camping and visit places like Moreton Island etc.

Can anyone tell me if they have one nad if it is okay for offroad. Some of the 4x4's you see would never be able to go offroad.

Bobby
Hey Bobby,

I think Datamile has been looking at the Santa fae, search his posts or drop him a PM, I think he drove a few 4x4's before deciding on one.

Cheers
Old May 15th 2007, 10:19 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 65 million
In my opinion, get a manual car, and ensure it has a low range gear box.

If your after a cheap, but capable off roader the Kia Sportage is very Capable. With a bigger budget I'd go for the Toyota Prada.

Avoid Mitsubishi, my Pajero cost me hundereds of dollars and the still couldn't sort out the intermittent electrical problem.

regards,
65KK

I've just bought the Prado diesel common rail turbo.

Although not the cheapest on the road I am very ,very happy with it.

Bags of power and torque.Nice quality feel to it.
Fuel economy of a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry!!!!

There is a waiting list for this model though,I waited three months to get my hot little hands on mine.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:00 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
We bought a Toyota klugger ( only comes in auto ) got 7 seats and we have had it off road a few times and its made it through ok !
1st time was through some very deep sand and with the tyres let down it was doing as well as the prado behind us

Toyota have just facelifted the 70 series look on www.toyota.com.au this is the number one 4x4 used in the outback , above and below ground.
i thought the 70 series could go anywhere but last week my apprentice managed to bog one on a house block in cairns. took a lot of digging and 10 blokes to lift it out. it just kept sinking. he pulled it around the side of the house so we could here the stereo better and drove it into a recently filled in trench. wed also had a fair bit of rain which didnt help. we couldnt even get it out with the strap. the front end was burried up to the lights. funniest thing ive seen in ages.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:21 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by youngy73
i thought the 70 series could go anywhere but last week my apprentice managed to bog one on a house block in cairns. took a lot of digging and 10 blokes to lift it out. it just kept sinking. he pulled it around the side of the house so we could here the stereo better and drove it into a recently filled in trench. wed also had a fair bit of rain which didnt help. we couldnt even get it out with the strap. the front end was burried up to the lights. funniest thing ive seen in ages.
That is funny

I would like to see any 4x4 that would get outta that
Old May 15th 2007, 5:57 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

This was the santa fe deal I got from a qld dealer... It'll be waiting for me at the airport in two weeks.

HYUNDAI SANTAFE 2.2 SLX CRDI $43490.00
METTALIC PAINT $350.00
TINT $495.00
TOW BAR $895.00
CARPET MATS $120.00
BONNET PROTECTOR $135.00
HEAD LIGHT PROTECTOR $110.00
STYLE VISORS $100.00
STAMP DUTY $914.00
REGISTRATION $264.35
CTP $290.20
DEALER DELIVERY $2195.00
TOTAL $49358.55

ENGLISH DISCOUNT $5858.55

Liked the seven seat option, and the engine sounded much better than the x-trail, couldn't wait for the desiel sorrento to arrive.

Not serious off-roader, but like to camp, dream of pulling that big boat etc.
Old May 15th 2007, 6:37 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Bobby
Any car will go ANY where in the right hands!!!

It's usually the incompetence of the driver that gets them stuck!

Lots of 4x4 knowledge here, ex British Army Motoring Association team member. Currently still buying, driving and killing 4x4's at every available opportunity.

What would I buy in OZ, well that would depend on my budget. The Hyundai Santa Fe, is OK - more of a 'soft roader' than an 'off roader'! Should suffice for the occasional camping trip and trip to Moreton or Fraser Island though.

Drop me a PM if you like - happy to help with specifics.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

steve_and_gill will become famous soon enoughsteve_and_gill will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Any car will go ANY where in the right hands!!!

It's usually the incompetence of the driver that gets them stuck!

Lots of 4x4 knowledge here, ex British Army Motoring Association team member. Currently still buying, driving and killing 4x4's at every available opportunity.

What would I buy in OZ, well that would depend on my budget. The Hyundai Santa Fe, is OK - more of a 'soft roader' than an 'off roader'! Should suffice for the occasional camping trip and trip to Moreton or Fraser Island though.

Drop me a PM if you like - happy to help with specifics.
Wotcha, how long ago did you do BAFMA events then? I've been involved with Rickshaw Ramble, Magnum Spirit and Roadmaster over the last few years.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:32 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Recently drove a Santa Fe and found it to be awful, but that was auto so maybe the manual is better. Just my humble opinion.
Old May 16th 2007, 5:18 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve_and_gill
Wotcha, how long ago did you do BAFMA events then? I've been involved with Rickshaw Ramble, Magnum Spirit and Roadmaster over the last few years.
Blimey! We're talking over 10 years ago now!
Not familiar with any of the events you mentioned - must have changed quite a bit!
We used to turn up in a LR 90 with harnesses fitted and just thrash the arse out of it! Fun? The best ever!
Old May 16th 2007, 5:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby
Bit of a "soft roader". The Terracan would be better. It is supposed to be pretty capable and a good price.

Good: Terracan
Better: Pajero, Prado
Best: Landcruiser
Old May 16th 2007, 5:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Bit of a "soft roader". The Terracan would be better. It is supposed to be pretty capable and a good price.

Good: Terracan
Better: Pajero, Prado
Best: Landcruiser
Bester: Pathfinder

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.