Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On 475 and Non-Resident for Tax Porposes?

On 475 and Non-Resident for Tax Porposes?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice
Default On 475 and Non-Resident for Tax Porposes?

Hi,

Is there anybody who is in Australia now on a 475 visa? Did you get a tax file number? Are you classified as non-resident for tax purposes?

My tax file number letter says I am non-resident, and that I pay higher tax rates than others. I believe there is a mistake somewhere. I used the tool on the ATO website and it says I am resident for tax purposes.

Can anyone share his/her experience with the ATO please?

Thank you,
Ahmad
Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On 475 and Non-Resident for Tax Porposes?

Originally Posted by Ahmadj
Hi,

Is there anybody who is in Australia now on a 475 visa? Did you get a tax file number? Are you classified as non-resident for tax purposes?

My tax file number letter says I am non-resident, and that I pay higher tax rates than others. I believe there is a mistake somewhere. I used the tool on the ATO website and it says I am resident for tax purposes.

Can anyone share his/her experience with the ATO please?

Thank you,
Ahmad
If you believe the ATO have wrongly classed you as non-resident then you should contact them and they can change your status
Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:39 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

It may still be right,if the term applies to your immigration status. 475 is not a permanent visa, therefore you are a non-resident as far as DIAC is concerned.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really nice

This is quite a common issue, residency for visa purposes differs from residency for tax purposes, you can be a temporary visa holder but a tax resident.

Use this quick and simple ATO tool to determine your individual situation http://calculators.ato.gov.au/script...dent.XR4&go=ok, if you are classed a resident for tax purposes simply contact the ATO to amend your TFN to tax resident, you keep the same number.

Andy
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

We are 457 holders and as far as the ATO are concerned we are resident

Stu
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it

Ahmad