Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 with work versus 136 no work

457 with work versus 136 no work

Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:03 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute
Default 457 with work versus 136 no work

hi all
wondered if any one has any thoughts.
we are applying for a 136 MODL with an acknowledgement date of 28 June. Mr W has been offered a job in oz but we would need to apply for a 457 temp visa.
i know 136 is a PR but we would then have to find employment in OZ where as we would have guaranteed work, help with airfares and help finding somewhere to live. we would also be in oz in January - they did say November but we think this is too quick!
could we still keep 136 going? and how difficult is it to become PR on a 457 and is there any time limits?
any thoughts or advice would be most welcome
regards
nicky
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 with work versus 136 no work

Originally Posted by thewoodz
hi all
we are applying for a 136 MODL with an acknowledgement date of 28 June. Mr W has been offered a job in oz but we would need to apply for a 457 temp visa.
i know 136 is a PR but we would then have to find employment in OZ where as we would have guaranteed work, help with airfares and help finding somewhere to live. we would also be in oz in January - they did say November but we think this is too quick!
could we still keep 136 going? and how difficult is it to become PR on a 457 and is there any time limits?
regards
nicky

I'd say you'd be mad to take a temporary visa when you already have a 136 application in. Chances are that the 136 would be granted around January/February anyway. Surely the employers could wait for you?

If you did go for a temp visa, then you'd need to speak with DIMA to make sure that they are OK with it. I wouldn't stop the application though.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:20 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all
regards
nicky
Hi Nicky I know some people have gone on a temp then applied for PR, not sure if you can get the temp whilst waiting for your PR though?

you may get more info in the immigration section of the forum
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:35 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

hi both
thanks for your thoughts. i want to wait for 136 but Mr W is worried about getting work over there and doesn't seem to be thinking long term, which of course i am more concerned about in case we can't get PR and the 136 is put on the back burner.
do i need to move this thread to immigration forum? i wasn't sure where to put it
regards
Nicky
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

We were in a similar situation we had started the process for PR, then I get offered a job which was to good to refuse, as my rate of pay is the equivalent to the UK.

We are now going out in January on a 457 sponsored by my employer for two years and they have also said that once we are there they will sponsor us for PR.

We have spent ages weighing up the pros and cons of temp v PR and which PR to apply for but at the end of the day, for us, the security of full time work and a decent income out ways the minor disadvantages of starting off on a temp visa.

At least we will be where we want to be, living the life and able to live the life (financialy). I know money isn't everything but it does make life easier and provides security. We know we have two years to get PR sorted and the additional security that my employer will sponsor us.

The other advantage of the temporary visa is it is quicker (thats why employers use it), the disadvantages i'm sure will be spelled out to you on this forum (as they were to us)!

But as I said we looked long and hard at which option to choose and it is great knowing that I am going to be able to start earning a couple of weeks after arriving rather than eating away at our capital (from the eventual sale of our house).

Best of luck.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

If Mr W's skill is on the MODL then surely he shouldn't have a problem getting a job in Oz. What does he do?

Has a good relocation package been offered with the 457 job? What would the tie in period be with the company?

hi all
regards
nicky
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:14 am
on the Goldie

Originally Posted by Luma
If Mr W's skill is on the MODL then surely he shouldn't have a problem getting a job in Oz. What does he do?

Has a good relocation package been offered with the 457 job? What would the tie in period be with the company?
hi luma
yes he is an electrician and the employer is willing to help apply for all the registration but provide supervised work until it is granted. having read how difficult it can be getting work whilst waiting for the registration is another factor that Mr W feels sways him more.
they have offered costs towards relocation, obviously only a percentage.
Nicky
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:17 am
on the Goldie

hi markcrook
thank you for your thoughts, it sounds like it will work out for you. do you have kids? where abouts in shropshire do u live? sorry all for the questions it just that we had settled into waiting for the visa and now all this has been thrown at us
reagrds
nicky
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:26 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

hi both
thanks for your thoughts. i want to wait for 136 but Mr W is worried about getting work over there and doesn't seem to be thinking long term, which of course i am more concerned about in case we can't get PR and the 136 is put on the back burner.
do i need to move this thread to immigration forum? i wasn't sure where to put it
regards
Nicky
Hiya

Your getting a few replies now but you could put one up in immigration as well. Its just that immigration agents post in there.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:42 am
on the Goldie

Originally Posted by possoms
Hiya

Your getting a few replies now but you could put one up in immigration as well. Its just that immigration agents post in there.
hi possoms
i will put in on there during lunch break.
thanks
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

hi markcrook
thank you for your thoughts, it sounds like it will work out for you. do you have kids? where abouts in shropshire do u live? sorry all for the questions it just that we had settled into waiting for the visa and now all this has been thrown at us
reagrds
nicky
It is all working out - I just wish somebody would buy the house so that we can get the flights booked!

We have got 2 girls (6 and 3), there was some issue that we have had to pay school fees in WA but that is not until they reach 16 and medicare shouldn't be to much of a problem as Oz has a reciprical agreement with oz (so that expat visa woman at the Mount tells us!).

We live in Oswestry near the welsh border.

We were in the same state of confusion, already to sit it out and wait for a PR visa (my wifes skills assessment is still being processed!) when the job offer came along, with "how soon can you get out here?".

The comments that if your occupation is on the MODL then a job shouldn't be a problem and tell the employer to wait, I don't think are helpful. Why should an employer wait? They might have 15 other people who could easly fill that post who would go out next week or are already there - I know in my situation nurses are going to Oz on a regular basis.

You do seem to be in a good situation if the employer is prepared to pay some expenses - we have got to do it all ourselves!

The other thing we specified is that they nominate us for 2 years and got written confirmation that they would be willing to sponsor us for PR - this does means I will be tied into them for three years, but does give me three years job security.

It is a difficult decision, would Mr W's employer be prepared to wait?

We feel very happy with our decision and our stress levels about everything have dropped (except the house sale - it really is a lovely house - I don't know why I am trying to plug it on here as everybody has either left the country or is planning to go )
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

hi all
regards
nicky
You can have more than one visa application lodged at the same time but remember the last visa granted by DIMIA cancels all previous ones. You therefore need to be sure the 457 is granted before the 136 otherwise you downgrade a PR to a Temp visa.

There is no time limit as to when you can apply for PR from a 457. The crucial thing is being able to qualify for it.

If you keep the 136 going you may have to go offshore for visa grant.

Employers throw 457 visas around like confetti. Many are unaware that nominating for PR visas RSMS or ENS don't take too much longer than a 457.

Others only want to use the 457 because it gives them power over the employee. You get here, the job turns out to be nothing like you were told, you don't like it.......what are you going to do ? Go back to the UK ? Tell DIMIA and risk being sent back ? They know you can do nothing about it if you wish to stay in Aus....got you over a barrell.

I don't know the ins and outs of all the tradies affairs but I think the truth is in most states they can get work provided they are prepared to subbie while getting their licences. Too many arrive expecting to carry on doing the things they did in the UK and it just will not happen.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I don't know the ins and outs of all the tradies affairs but I think the truth is in most states they can get work provided they are prepared to subbie while getting their licences. Too many arrive expecting to carry on doing the things they did in the UK and it just will not happen.
As an add on to that post, my hubby is an Electrician, he started his wiring rules course this week. The guy who is running the course has said that not having the licence shouldn't cause any problems getting employment.

He also said that there is such a shortage of Electricians you can virtually name your own price. My hubby got offered a job on his first day of the course by an Australian Contractor.

They are charging $5 a point on a new build and he has said they can do two houses a day at a rate of 50 points per house at least.

The course is supposed to be 7 days spread over three weeks, but my OH is taking the exam next Thursday as that is the earliest he can do it. They gave him a course book with 6 sections in and he has filled in 4 already.

So it's not as bad as it sounds.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 2:32 pm
on the Goldie

hi Wendy
i shall show him this when he comes home. he has already rung my mum up and told her we are going in November - i'm beginning to think he sees it as a quick way to wind her up - men
Nicky
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If your OH has a written job offer, then why not send a copy of it to ASPC? When our applications were in the early stages, both Hub and I were offered jobs in Perth. We sent the written offers in with our PCC's. Don't know if it helped to speed things up at all, but we figured it couldn't hurt, either. You're already 3 months into a 136 application, so if it were me, I would wait for that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.