Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Visa - working outside Australia

457 Visa - working outside Australia

Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:55 am
New To Perth!

ScotsSal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Visa - working outside Australia

I've been in Perth for 4mths now on a 457 sponsored visa from Scotland and have barely had time to settle in. Now, I've been told by work that I am to start working in Thailand and they expect me to spend more time working in Thailand than I do in Perth.

Ignoring the emotional side-effects of how that is going to affect me (33 and single and likely to remain single and unsettled as long as I have to ping pong between the two countries), does anyone have any idea how this could affect me tax-wise and visa-wise? Do I have to work in Australia for a minimum duration of time each year to remain entitled to my 457 visa? Would this affect my chances of applying for PR in any way? Does this benefit me or hit me in the pocket tax-wise?

I'm quite upset about it as when they first spoke to me about replacing the guy who currently does it, it seemed ok, as he goes for a week or two at a time every 2-3 of months, so only spends about 1/4 of his time away from Perth, but it seems it will be the opposite for me. Add to that no salary uplift, 6-day working week (with no time off in lieu for the extra day I work) and working days that are normally at least 2hrs longer than I currently work, I feel like I've been given a tough deal here.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Visa - working outside Australia

If you dont want to do it then dont do it. I agree this is a tough gig especially for a gal. So personally I would tell them to stuff it, even if it meant going home. But remember you have the same employment rights as anyone else.

But to your questions well the answers are not clear to me, who will be your employer, where will you be paid, what will your visa status in Thailand be?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:34 am
New To Perth!

ScotsSal is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I've been told, it would be do it or be deemed to be handing in my notice. I only moved out here 4mths ago. I do not have the funds to ship my belongings and buy a flight back to the UK as I've been too busy trying to buy furniture and put down deposits for rent etc to save anything for going back home. I barely had enough to cover me when I moved here.

I'm only 3mths way through a 12mth lease on my apartment, so I can't afford to pay the remainder of the lease if I break the lease to return to the UK. Also, if I leave the company within 18mths of starting with them, I'll have to pay them back for the costs they paid to move me to Australia and arrange my visa etc. Another cost I cannot afford. So, I feel like I have no option but to put up with it until I save up enough money to be able to find another job and pay them back.

I would remain working for the same Australian company and they would be paying me as they do just now into my Australian bank account and my hotel, food and taxis will be reimbursed to me (another crappy thing as I'll be out of pocket for about 2mths before I get my expenses back, they won't give me a company credit card and I can't get a personal credit card and with hotel included I'm guess that to be about $200 per day as the hotel alone is $115 per day).

They are arranging a one-year multiple-entry business visa for Thailand, but have indicated they expect me to spend more time in Thailand than Australia. I may be wrong, but I was of the understanding that there are obligations on certain types of visa and restrictions on applying for PR and citizenship in relation to how much you can be out of Australia in a year.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Does your contract state that you have to spend all this time in Thailand? If it does not then I do not see how they can possibly force you to or say that not going is your resignation.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can I recommend you ask a mod to move this to the Australia forum where more people will see it. I think there are one or two others that work offshore on a 457 visa.