Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa, the reciprocal agreement, health care cover & costs

457 visa, the reciprocal agreement, health care cover & costs

Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough
Default 457 visa, the reciprocal agreement, health care cover & costs

Hi everyone!

Im sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but Im confused.com and we have spent ages looking through information about this, but have become none the wiser. But I knew you guys would know!

We (family of 2 adults and 2 children) are going out to Melbourne on a 457 visa. My sponsor says I should take out health care. However, Ive read that we are covered on Medicare under the reciprocal agreement????

So my questions are:

are we covered? And if so, what for?
do we really need to take out extra cover?
and how much does it cost?

Thank you!

Karen
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:02 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 457 visa, the reciprocal agreement, health care cover & costs

Hi Karen,

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...isitors/uk.jsp

If still have Qs you can contact medicare directly at this email address:

[email protected]

I have used in past and they responded promptly and clearly.

Ref additional cover this seems to be matter for debate, we have not yet decided & I don't think am in position to advise on that, but if you search BE using tool you should find some threads that might help.

Hope helps

Last edited by PamE; Sep 13th 2009 at 6:05 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice

When I was there in 2006 on a 457 I was covered on medicare along with my family if that`s any help.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You are covered for "necessary" medical care but that means there are potentially things you wont be covered for. Your employer would also be liable if the unthinkable should happen and you need major medical intervention but would need to be repatriated to UK and that can work out very expensive, hence their requirement for you to take out private health cover which would pay for it.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
You are covered for "necessary" medical care but that means there are potentially things you wont be covered for. Your employer would also be liable if the unthinkable should happen and you need major medical intervention but would need to be repatriated to UK and that can work out very expensive, [/b]hence their requirement for you to take out private health cover which would pay for it.[/b]

Good employers (of 457 holders) usually provide such cover at their own expense.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

My employers told me that they were liable for my care should anything happen to me.
So even though i have reciprocal healthcare, they also pay my Private Medibank health Insurance
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:39 am
ABCDiamond

From 14 September 2009, (That is Today) all new Subclass 457 visa holders will be required by law (a condition of their visa) to maintain adequate health insurance for the length of their visa.
Applicants for 457 visas will need to provide evidence that they have obtained adequate health insurance before their visa can be granted.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...s-employee.htm

Some other rules for 457 Visas also change from today.

Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

It is also worth noting that the policies that apply to people on 457s are not actually medical insurance, its a medical plan. Therefore, it does not exempt you from the medicare surcharge if you have a high income.

We got ours via Medibank. Its called visitors cover and after a lot of research we found that it was the best. Employer is paying for it, think its around $4800 per year. We are a family of 4.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From 14 September 2009, (That is Today) all new Subclass 457 visa holders will be required by law (a condition of their visa) to maintain adequate health insurance for the length of their visa.
Applicants for 457 visas will need to provide evidence that they have obtained adequate health insurance before their visa can be granted.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...s-employee.htm

Some other rules for 457 Visas also change from today.

Hi

Thanks for that. Had a look at your web link and it says the following:

Subclass 457 – Health Insurance Frequently Asked Questions – Visa Holders
Do subclass 457 visa holders need to have health insurance and if so who pays?
It is a requirement for visa grant that applicants have made adequate arrangements for health insurance for themselves and accompanying family members. In addition, Condition 8501 requires all visa holders, including accompanying family members, maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia. Failure to comply with a visa condition may result in your visa being cancelled.

Visa holders who are enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements will be considered as having met this requirement.

While you are required to demonstrate that you have made adequate arrangements for health insurance, and to maintain that health insurance once you become a visa holder, there is no requirement that you have to be the person who actually pays for the insurance policy. It is acceptable if, for example, your sponsor pays for the health insurance as a part of your employment contract, should they choose to do so.

So I guess that means that because I am from UK and we are covered under reciprocal health care agreement that we do not require any other form of health care.

K
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:16 am
Just Joined

jsmithjsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen,

I am in the same position as you, about to apply for my visa and was wondering about the health insurance, I thought exactly the same as you as Im already in Oz and hold a medicare card I dont think I will need extra cover, maybe im wrong but would love to hear it confirmed, mite ring up immi and ask them!

Do you know much about the new tra assesment part? do everyone need to do it or just the 5 ocupations mentioned?

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
So I guess that means that because I am from UK and we are covered under reciprocal health care agreement that we do not require any other form of health care.

K
It definitely does read like that. And it would be worth clarifying.

Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:37 am
Just Joined

im on hold to immi now lol
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsmithjsmith
im on hold to immi now lol
Are you expecting the helpline to know the answer? Interesting.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Just got off the phone to immigration department and as I am already In Australia and have medicare I can just send them a certified copy of my medicare card!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you expecting the helpline to know the answer? Interesting.
Yes actually!
I got my answer.
Thanks for your helpful input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.