Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa delay- will we need to send off passport aswell?

457 visa delay- will we need to send off passport aswell?

Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:30 am
Just Joined

ptutty will become famous soon enoughptutty will become famous soon enough
Default 457 visa delay- will we need to send off passport aswell?

the visa processing lot seem to have a back log of visas to process and my partner is supposed to start her job in australia in 3 weeks time and has not recieved visa confirmation. When we eventually get it do we need to send passports off to get stamped??

regards

phil
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:38 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice
Default Re: 457 visa delay- will we need to send off passport aswell?

Originally Posted by ptutty
the visa processing lot seem to have a back log of visas to process and my partner is supposed to start her job in australia in 3 weeks time and has not recieved visa confirmation. When we eventually get it do we need to send passports off to get stamped??

regards

phil
you should receive an email confirmation of your 457 which you can produce at passport control in Aus. You will be on their computer systems, and you then have 3 weeks to have your visa stamped in your passport once you've arrived. Technically, you can receive the 457 the day you leave, but I hope you get your's sooner

Good luck
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:41 am
Just Joined

thanks fire-eater, good news for a change.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:48 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

thanks fire-eater, good news for a change.
Only talking from experience. My wife also had to leave for a job and received her confirmation 3 days before her booked flight

Fingers crossed for you, and I empathise with you as the nearer it gets the more panic you feel.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

regards

phil
You will get a email of your visa, this is all you need. Check the details as ours had some spelling mistakes and my Hubby's DOB was wrong, we notified them and they advised us to travel as they would amend the details on the computer, when we were at singapore they had to contact immigration as the details did not match, there was a point when we thought we would not be able to board the flight :scared:
You then have 28 days to present your passports to immigration and recieve your sticker

Di
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

regards

phil
Hi, We got our visas about a week or so before we left the UK via email confirmation. When we arrived in Oz we showed them the email gave in our passports as you would normally and then we were through. We then got our passports "stamped" about a week later, you actually have about 4 weeks to do this.

Good luck!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

If you elected to accept email communication you should get an email from DIMIA attaching the visa grant letter.

Check the details carefully. Our letter referred to our passport numbers but they had forgotten to type them on the letter. A quick email was all that was needed for a corrected copy to be sent.

When in Aus you have 28 days to get the visa label put in your passport. This can be done at any DIMIA office.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:01 am
Just Joined

thanks to every one for your help.

I won't be leave the UK the same time as my partner(1-2 months later), does this mean i'll also need a copy of the email when i enter OZ?

Is it OK to do this?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:09 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I won't be leave the UK the same time as my partner(1-2 months later), does this mean i'll also need a copy of the email when i enter OZ?

Is it OK to do this?

Im not sure, I think that we had to enter together, but when we went thro customs they asked us questions, but didnt ask to see the email.............. then we got our passports stamped a few days after we arrived there.

Who is the main visa holder?

laura
x
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Is it OK to do this?

In principle it's no problem and a copy of the letter (email) will probably be okay.

However something is twitching at the back of my mind (vast area ) that I read somewhere DIMIA saying to let them know if you enter Aus at a different time. Maybe they cover it in the letter then ?
Won't do any harm to mention it to them to be sure.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Im not sure, I think that we had to enter together, but when we went thro customs they asked us questions, but didnt ask to see the email.............. then we got our passports stamped a few days after we arrived there.

Who is the main visa holder?

laura
x
Good point Laura.
The main visa holder has to be the first to enter Aus.
No exceptions to that.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:27 am
Just Joined

axl rose is on a distinguished road

It makes a sense if you think about it, that DIMIA give you the visa (i.e. send you the email) very close to the date you leave for Oz.

The visas are for a fixed period of time i.e. 4 years. People most likely want to be there for as long a period as possible and do not want to waste 2 months of there visa whilst still in the UK.

I have had various emails from DIMIA. We are flying out on 19 June and I am told I will have email on 10 June.

Can't wait to get to Brissy!!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:36 am
Just Joined

my partner is the main visa holder - i'm going as her spouse. She will be going first in 3 weeks time! Me two month later.

Still no email from DIMAA, have arranged shipping but can't go ahead with this unless we have confirmation of visa. Have arranged to move out of our house in 3 weeks time!

Also can't book any flights.

Do you think its worth contacting DIMAA and letting them know our plans for separate entry?

thanks again
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:41 am
Just Joined

axl rose is on a distinguished road

my partner is the main visa holder - i'm going as her spouse. She will be going first in 3 weeks time! Me two month later.

Still no email from DIMAA, have arranged shipping but can't go ahead with this unless we have confirmation of visa. Have arranged to move out of our house in 3 weeks time!

Also can't book any flights.

Do you think its worth contacting DIMAA and letting them know our plans for separate entry?

thanks again
I always found them most helpful. If it will put your mind at ease, send them an email. Better still, ask you Oz Employer to drop them a line also.