457 Visa Blues

Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Visa Blues

Hi all,

I've already posted a similar query on the immigration board, and got one response, but believe that this board has a bigger readership.

To cut a long story (as they all are) we applied for a 136 visa in July 2003. Obviously we are still waiting. In the mean time I have been offered a job and sponsorship on the 457 route. This started in mid-January 2004, and we are still waiting for the nomination to come through. Basically we haven't applied for it yet, and we have everything in place for an April 23rd departure.

We had our medicals done in early Feb, and two issues were picked up. On my x-ray they picked up an 'Unfolded Aorta' but the doctor pretty much dismissed it as nothing as my BP is OK. More seriously my daughter had a heart murmur detected which we have just had diagnosed as a hole in the heart. It's tiny and needs no treatment. Neither of these issues is enough to stop the 136 visa going through.

However the 457 visa is another story. What happens when stuff is picked up on the medicals on this type of visa, finding information for the procedures is a total nightmare? From the other board the implication is that it will be referred to the HSA and this will take anything from 4-14 weeks. Has anyone else been through this? I need to make the decision as to go\no-go for April in the next week. Due to a family commitment, this would mean a delay until September, I just hope my employer will keep the job open that long...

Thanks all

Paul
Old Mar 7th 2004, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Bump...
Old Mar 7th 2004, 11:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,
I don't know the answer but hope this may contain something of use to you. It's from the DIMIA site:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1163i.pdf
Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bix, I've read that one and it is of course typically vague.

The issues that were picked appear on the required docs, i.e. an X-Ray for me and a medical for my daughter. What I don't know is if the Sydney Clearing Centre will pass these, or refer them onto the HSA.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 3:20 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by PaulDClark
Thanks Bix, I've read that one and it is of course typically vague.

The issues that were picked appear on the required docs, i.e. an X-Ray for me and a medical for my daughter. What I don't know is if the Sydney Clearing Centre will pass these, or refer them onto the HSA.
Hi PDC

Sorry to hear about you /your daughter's medical conditions. I don't know anything about 457 visa reqirements but I do know something about heart probs & DIMIA response.

A heart condition was deteted in son on completion of medical. We were referred to BUPA heart consultant immediatly. After many Xrays, ACG tests, Ultrasound scans and CAT tests etc.... consultant gave go ahead for Oz. Basically son will always have heart condition but requires monitoring and MAY cause probs in futre, equally MAY not...

Moral of story is twofold:
1] Don't worry about daughter's /your heart probs until have reason to [may be nothing to worry about but heart probs do sound scary. May be nothing at all to worry about though. Just to monitor].

2] Go see heart consultant; Consultant will ensure tests to rule out anything [DIMIA will prob ask for anyway so saves time by front loading]. Consultant will provide written report for you to send to DIMIA and all should be well.

In our case, DIMIA did not ask for more info as all tests covered it.
Heart prob was not seen as a problem once consultant had clarified medical position.

Hope this helps, all the very best to you & your daughter. You will be OK

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 7th 2004, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the moral support, we are in need of some of that at present!

We had the medical early Feb and just had saw the consultant on Thursday\Friday for a consultantion and ultrasound scan. Effectively he cleared her OK which will be fine for the 136 Skilled Independant application, as ALL applications go through the HSA. From the reaction of the doc about me, I don't think its a real issue and he didn't refer me onwards. I asked the consultant in passing and he pretty much agreed.

However with an employer sponsored 457 visa the medicals go to a clearing house in Sydney, and they decide whether or not the meds get referred to the HSA, both will pass the HSA OK, its just a question of how long it takes.

Thanks again

Paul