Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 temp visa - anyone getting paid medical insurance ?

457 temp visa - anyone getting paid medical insurance ?

Old Sep 16th 2002, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 temp visa - anyone getting paid medical insurance ?

is the company that sponsors you paying for medical insurance as stipulated in form 1067 part 23 ??
Old Sep 16th 2002, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Dannyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 457 temp visa - anyone getting paid medical insurance ?

Originally posted by onlyme:
is the company that sponsors you paying for medical insurance as stipulated in form 1067 part 23 ??
My company will be paying for medical insurance while I'm over on a 457, but I haven't got to the stage of filling out any of those fun forms yet.
Old Sep 16th 2002, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Dannyboy. Anyone else ?
Old Sep 16th 2002, 11:35 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen form 1067 part 23 - where do I find it? Or what the implications are - sorry if I am being slow!

But my company (I am on 457) paying medical for myself and family, we did have the 457 initially refused because of daughters health until the company undertook medical agreement to cover all costs, but we fought this because of PR implications.

Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2002, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Sandra,

How's things going in rainy Sydney ?

Apparently this is the form that sponsors must fill out if they want to sponsor people on 457 visas.
http://www.dima.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1067.pdf

Repatriation costs should also be covered
Old Sep 17th 2002, 12:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

One of the sponsoring company's obligations is to meet medical costs incurred by the nominated employee and his/her dependents that are/were included on the 457-visa application while they are in Australia.

To cap the risk it therefore makes sense for the employer to take out private healthcover to cover the costs that might be incurred by those the company is sponsoring.

Best regards.

Old Sep 17th 2002, 12:24 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
One of the sponsoring company's obligations is to meet medical costs incurred by the nominated employee and his/her dependents that are/were included on the 457-visa application while they are in Australia.

To cap the risk it therefore makes sense for the employer to take out private healthcover to cover the costs that might be incurred by those the company is sponsoring.

Best regards.
Thanks for this - so why did we get the 457 initially refused on my daughters health condition? If the company has to cover all costs anyway wasn't this just a piece of extra bureacracy? I suppose I am panicking now as we have been asked to complete the medicals for PR (after 17 months) and are very very worried of the implications now. We were hoping that the fact we appealed and they dropped the extra requirement because of further information we supplied that this might hold us in good stead.

Also to crash 'only me's thread further (Not raining in Chatswood yet!) Does these 457 conditions also mean if we do not get PR my company are liable for the costs to repatriate me after the four years or sooner?

Many thanks
Old Sep 17th 2002, 12:27 am
Gone Senile Member

Also Onlyme - I have one friend who came over on a 457 three years ago, they have no medical insurance provided by the company and pay for all their own medical coverage.
Old Sep 17th 2002, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan,

Thanks for your info.

When you say "obliged" do you mean they are not under any legal requirement to provide repatriation and medical insurance ? Do you know if the 1067 form is the only one used by companies when applying to sponsor people on 457 visas ?

Thanks Sandra. I'm beginning to feel ripped off.

I am finding this a bit strange. When I was arranging to come over here, the IT agency who sponsored me said that I needed to arrange my own medical insurance and I ended up forking out well over a thousand quid for international medical insurance. They said I could not proceed with the application until I did this. If they were legally supposed to pay for my medical insurance I might take this a step further..
Old Sep 17th 2002, 3:05 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

When a company sponsors you for a 457-visa they undertake to accept the financial responsibility for medical and hospital costs that the sponsored person and dependents incur in Australia.

The employer is also responsible for any repatriation costs that DIMIA might incur if the sponsored individual stays on in Australia beyond the term of the visa (including if it is cancelled).

There is no legal requirement on the part of an employer to obtain insurance - taking out insurance is simply the employer's way of capping the risk => the premiums are a known cost.

The 1067 is indeed the form that is used when an employer wants to seek approval to act as a business sponsor. Form 1068 is used to nominate the position to be filled.

As to you having had to arrange your own insurance - this may well have been a condition of the agency agreeing to sponsor you. And as I said above, it isn't a requirement placed on them by DIMIA.

Finally, if you are looking for a cheaper alternative on the health premiums front let me know.

Hope this helps.

Alan,

Thanks for your info.

When you say "obliged" do you mean they are not under any legal requirement to provide repatriation and medical insurance ? Do you know if the 1067 form is the only one used by companies when applying to sponsor people on 457 visas ?

Thanks Sandra. I'm beginning to feel ripped off.

I am finding this a bit strange. When I was arranging to come over here, the IT agency who sponsored me said that I needed to arrange my own medical insurance and I ended up forking out well over a thousand quid for international medical insurance. They said I could not proceed with the application until I did this. If they were legally supposed to pay for my medical insurance I might take this a step further..
Old Sep 17th 2002, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Alan....so there should be a clause in the agreement between me and the IT agency that specifies that I should pay for medical insurance before the visa can be issued, otherwise they have pulled a fast one ??

My wife has had a baby since we have been here and as a result we have had quite a bit of medical expense. Does this mean I can gather up all the receipts and hand them over to my boss and he should reimburse me ?
Old Sep 17th 2002, 3:28 am
Migration Agent

Don't drag me into your contractual dispute ...! I shall only answer the second of your queries by saying that the employer's obligation under the sponsorship is to reimburse Medicare and not you for any costs that you have paid.

Of course if you are from the UK you can access Medicare benefits under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between the two countries ...

Regards.

Thanks for that Alan....so there should be a clause in the agreement between me and the IT agency that specifies that I should pay for medical insurance before the visa can be issued, otherwise they have pulled a fast one ??

My wife has had a baby since we have been here and as a result we have had quite a bit of medical expense. Does this mean I can gather up all the receipts and hand them over to my boss and he should reimburse me ?
Old Sep 17th 2002, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank Alan. Apologies for dragging you into my dispute.

When you say "The employer is also responsible for any repatriation costs that DIMIA might incur if the sponsored individual stays on in Australia beyond the term of the visa (including if it is cancelled)."

The repatriation costs are also for DIMA ? They wouldn't have to give me relocation costs ? Do you mean if DIMA had to deport me because I overstayed the 28 days allowable on a cancelled temp visa, my compay would have to reimburse them ?
Old Sep 17th 2002, 4:22 am
Migration Agent

In answer to your last question - yes, that's correct.

Regards.

Thank Alan. Apologies for dragging you into my dispute.

When you say "The employer is also responsible for any repatriation costs that DIMIA might incur if the sponsored individual stays on in Australia beyond the term of the visa (including if it is cancelled)."

The repatriation costs are also for DIMA ? They wouldn't have to give me relocation costs ? Do you mean if DIMA had to deport me because I overstayed the 28 days allowable on a cancelled temp visa, my compay would have to reimburse them ?
Old Sep 17th 2002, 7:23 am
Tina

I know of a PQBS (Pre Qualified Business Sponsor) in Sydney and they
include in the contract you sign with them that you have to arrange
your own health insurance and provide them with evidence of this. I
heard they don't actually ask for this evidence though.

Maybe it would give them a convenient reason to end the sponsorship
agreement if they asked for proof at some stage and found out the
sponsored visa holder does not have any health cover, not sure.

Tina

onlyme <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > is the company that sponsors you paying for medical insurance as
    > stipulated in form 1067 part 23 ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.