Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 AND MEDICARE anyone know Help

457 AND MEDICARE anyone know Help

Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice
Default 457 AND MEDICARE anyone know Help

We have 457 visa's my wife has the job does the rest of the family get medicare? Or do we have to buy insurance.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 AND MEDICARE anyone know Help

Originally Posted by Paul from Poole
We have 457 visa's my wife has the job does the rest of the family get medicare? Or do we have to buy insurance.
You will need to get private medical insurance to cover your family. See the 457 information thread in the immigration section for details of the visa.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

If you are entitled to NHS treatment you will be able to get some degree of medicare cover as well. You will be entitled to cover under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement. This is limited to Emergency and medically necessary cover but covers you for GP visits, emergency care and treatment in a hospital etc. You have to pay for all your drugs (as do all Aussies) but get some of them at the reduced rate if they are on the list of drugs approved by medicare. (I forget the official term) For more info on the reciprocal agreement: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...alta-italy.pdf

Different people have had different experiences but we had to produce our NHS medical cards before we could register for Medicare so could be worth adding them to that never-ending-list of stuff-to-bring-with-you- !!! :-)
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:57 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

We (Me, wife & child) all received Medicare on a 457 visa.
The Medicare card is clearly marked 'Immediate necessary medical treatment only' (or something like that).

We used the Medicare system a few times on the 457 (now Permanent residents).. I had a mole cut out, son had a spider bite.
Some you have to pay for and claim back and some is what is called 'Bulk billed' and there is nothing to pay.

You generally get about 75% of the cost back after the treatment. I feel medical insurance would be the best option to be completely covered, we don't have any (yet).

Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul,
I am here with my family on a 457 visa and we have a medicare card, as the UK has a reciprocal agreement with Australia. It covers you and your family for 'immediate necessary treatment', which most standard stuff like ear infections etc. Just go to the medicare office with your NHS number and passport and they will sort out your card.
Hope this helps
Lisa
Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:33 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

We have a medicare card it says reciprocal health care and is valid for 1 year when you can then renew it I use a bulk billing GP and x ray facility so I pay nothing for these. see what the others above have posted for other information

I have private cover for ambulance and dentist and non emergency stuff like physio, dentists and outpatients I live in NSW.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

depending where you're going ....ambulance cover in Qld is a charge included in your elec bill so you dont require insurance for this here
Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Some employers insist that you get private health insurance as technically, under the terms of the 457 visa, they are ultimately liable for any costs. I don't think everyone does though so it's worth checking. I would say that you really need at least ambulance cover, and dental can be very expensive without insurance - if you'll be back in the UK regularly though you can probably just make sure you book check ups when you're there.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:18 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

With a 457 I'm sure the company sponsoring you have to provide private medical cover for you and your family.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
With a 457 I'm sure the company sponsoring you have to provide private medical cover for you and your family.
Unfortunately not, it's ultimately their responsibility if you incur medical costs here so they often urge you to get it, but they don't actually have to pay for it. It's one of those things that you need to negotiate as part of your contract (and well worth doing as it can be expensive and on a 457 you have a limited choice of providers). We know families who have it provided and those who have to have it, but who pay for it themselves.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

as part of the 457 visa requirements you must have private health insurance
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
Mmmm, I know several families from the UK who dont and are on a 457 visa.
They just use medicare agreement card.
One has spent 2years and is about to do PR visa.

Gems
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
Not strictly true. The sponsor is responsible for any medical costs the employee incurs. A lot of employers write it into the contract that the employee must take out private health so that they are not stuck with a massive medical bill.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice

Thanks everyone some very good advice. I'll go down the medicare card route.
Had a quote from one company £5600 for the 4 of us per year.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:45 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

We're on a 457...........wasted money on monthly private medical insurance to cover almost everything $190.00, for a year .........wouldn't have gone private in the UK ....... so no point here...now we pay $18.00 per month for a family of 4 ambulance cover.....it's all you need .......''in my opinion''! you pay as you go anyway with the doc's!

C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.