457 AND MEDICARE anyone know Help

457 AND MEDICARE anyone know Help

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:46 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 457 AND MEDICARE anyone know Help

$190.00 per month for a year may I add!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:50 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Unfortunately not, it's ultimately their responsibility if you incur medical costs here so they often urge you to get it, but they don't actually have to pay for it. It's one of those things that you need to negotiate as part of your contract (and well worth doing as it can be expensive and on a 457 you have a limited choice of providers). We know families who have it provided and those who have to have it, but who pay for it themselves.
I guess I was lucky as my company paid for it, (and everything else)....
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by carmele
$190.00 per month for a year may I add!
Hi Carmele, which insurer are you using for this? We only want basic but want to make sure we're covered for everything the NHS would cover us for. (minus optical and dentistry care which costs an arm and a leg)

Cheers
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:06 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

The ambulance cover is with Medibank.

We haven't bothered with dental cover either, no point if you have good teeth or no teenagers who need braces etc, where we are it's cheaper to pay the dentist as we go for check ups and a clean, just paid $150.00 each for this, cheaper than paying into a dental plan.

Also optical, it's a one off normally, no point, I pay as I go.

Carmel
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Thanks Carmele!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:52 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the following link, you will find that under the terms of the employer obligations for those travelling on the 457 visa, the employer is responsible for your medical expenses

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...s-employer.htm

Nic
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Very true.

However thats why alot of employers (with their heads screwed on) put in a clause on condition of employment that you must take out medical insurance or no job.

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
If you look at the following link, you will find that under the terms of the employer obligations for those travelling on the 457 visa, the employer is responsible for your medical expenses

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...s-employer.htm

Nic
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:14 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

It is the Australian government that stipulates that the employer is responsible for paying medical expenses, The conditions in the visa does not state that this is optional. Our sponsor has honoured this clause as it is requisite.

Nic
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
It is the Australian government that stipulates that the employer is responsible for paying medical expenses, The conditions in the visa does not state that this is optional. Our sponsor has honoured this clause as it is requisite.

Nic
Medical expenses yes, health insurance NO.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:27 pm
Homeward bound

Originally Posted by northernbird
Medical expenses yes, health insurance NO.
If the employer honors the conditions of the visa, then the need for health insurance (as in the UK) becomes optional - surely?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:46 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Katherined0

Different people have had different experiences but we had to produce our NHS medical cards before we could register for Medicare so could be worth adding them to that never-ending-list of stuff-to-bring-with-you- !!! :-)
Just to add to what Katherine said - We're on 457 Visas and were asked to provide National Insurance numbers and passports in NSW in July when we applied for our Medicare cards.

Boss is covering anything above and beyond Medicare with Private Health Insurance - like tomy2tums said - just lucky
Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am just going on my second 457 and my first employer didnt want to provide cover but was told by immi that even if i have my own cover, they would be responsible - my insurance would make a claim against them.