Reload this Page >

457 Baggage allowance?

457 Baggage allowance?

Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

mike roberts is on a distinguished road
Default 457 Baggage allowance?

Hi guys,

I've just been told that we should expect our 457 through in 3 weeks.

They say the visa will come through electonically for me and the family and then the agent will arrange the visa's in our passports upon arrival in Perth.

With this elec visa what kind of allowance could I expect for one way flights going to Perth in early Oct?

thanks guys

Mike
Old Sep 8th 2007, 11:16 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Baggage allowance?

Originally Posted by mike roberts
Hi guys,

I've just been told that we should expect our 457 through in 3 weeks.

They say the visa will come through electonically for me and the family and then the agent will arrange the visa's in our passports upon arrival in Perth.

With this elec visa what kind of allowance could I expect for one way flights going to Perth in early Oct?

thanks guys

Mike
Even though you'll have a one way ticket, a lot of airlines won't necessarily give you extra baggage allowance as they don't see the 457 as a migrant's visa. I know it's a cop-out but that's how it is. Having said that, if I were you I would just negotiate when you buy the ticket. Speak to a travel agent and tell them that you want double-baggage allowance or they can forget their fat commission. Rest assured they'll push your case then
Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

sarah0405 is an unknown quantity at this point

If i remember correctly its about 38 kgs, but dont make my mistake and put it all in 1 case, luggage handlers are only allowed to carry 32kgs, something to do with health and safety, so make sure you split it up, you need to prewarn the airline and fax them a copy of your visa, have fun
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

flickander is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mike

We received our 457 visa on 30th August and are flying out on 10th September. We are flying with emirates and have a one way ticket. We gave a copy of our visa to Flight Centre who we booked the flights through and they arranged for Emirates to increase our baggage allowance to 40kgs each.

Hope this helps

Good luck
Old Sep 8th 2007, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Flickander,

Had a look at their site and the prices aren't too bad either! Thanks again.

Mike
Old Sep 9th 2007, 12:49 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike roberts
Thanks Flickander,

Had a look at their site and the prices aren't too bad either! Thanks again.

Mike
I would certainly recommend Emirates from my experience with them. Just make sure that when you book, you get the details of the extra baggage allowance in writing.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 12:51 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
I would certainly recommend Emirates from my experience with them. Just make sure that when you book, you get the details of the extra baggage allowance in writing.
Don't make the mistake we did with Emirates.... we turned up over-weight (our fault!) and they want nearly £600.00 for the extra baggage. It pays to get it right.
We packed the scales and never had anything to weight the bags.

We were also on a 457.
Generally you will NOT get the allowance of 40kg on a 457.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

We managed to blag 40 kg each with Singapore yesterday as did 4 other people who were going on 457 on same flight.

But it is risky....we already had an e-mail from Singapore confirming that 457 is NOT suitable for double allowance as it is not perminant.

Could have cost £1000 if the check-in guy had not been so cool.

Thanks to you who ever you were!
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Alternatively, just go via LAX with Air Newzealand for a standard 46 kilo baggage allowance
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windog
Alternatively, just go via LAX with Air Newzealand for a standard 46 kilo baggage allowance
In fact any airline that flies via the USA will give you at least 46kg each no matter what your visa circumstances are.

Buzzy
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:53 am
annette

netty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond repute

We came out on 457 visa and flew with emirates. We contacted the airline in advance but was not allowed any extra baggage allowance even though we showed copies of our granted visa.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:58 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

OH got the allowance with emirates on a one way ticket he had asked the airline for it in writing and had no problems
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: 457 Baggage allowance?

Thanks all...... just waiting for the dreaded visa and we'll be joining all you lucky ones very soo !... Lite the Barbie!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

hi mike

sorry f0r hijacking thread a little when did you apply for yr visa???
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:04 am
Just Joined

About 3 weeks ago!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.