Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

40 foot container costs (including HC) - here they are...

40 foot container costs (including HC) - here they are...

Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default 40 foot container costs (including HC) - here they are...

Chaps

I'm starting a new thread to help with future searches, and to give an overview that is very recent (Oct 08), as costs have gone up given other prices people paid.

We had 6 quotes all in. Anyhow, the spec was:

Moving everything from a 5 bedroom house plus garden plus double garage and small amounts in the loft from near Stratford upon Avon to Melbourne via a sole use container. No wardrobes (all bedrooms have built in ones) but also includes full play room, and my study with 7 bookcases full of books, so a fair bit of stuff. Oh, and 4 large sofa's. Sorry - I'm just trying to give you an idea of what we're taking so it gives you the proper feel.

Every quote was like for like - we told them what we were not taking (basically just the two lawnmowers, no idea why we have two, we just do...). Door to door.

HC means they propose a HC container - same cost but more packing to do. Interestingly, an HC container takes 2400 cubic foot (a standard 40 ft container takes 2000 c/ft), so those that have quoted in excess of this make no stipulation if we do go over (which is probably more down to the quality of the packing than anything) other than provide additional charges. Thus, if their packers do a pants job, we've got to pay extra.

Some included them dismantling the furniture, others would leave us to do it. I've not broken this down as I'll probably do it anyway, then I know it is in a good condition when I do take stuff apart.

Most expensive first...

Anglo-Pacific - 2345 c/ft, HC, £8,385

John Mason - unknown c/ft, HC, £7,000

Dorree Bonner - 2681 c/ft, HC, £6,984

PSS - 1720 c/ft, £6,239

Atlantic International Movers - unknown c/ft, £6,050

Oldhams (local international moving firm), unknown c/ft, HC. £5,985

So, we have a total disparity on the same amount of items of £2,400. That's a lot of money.

Interestingly, the chap from PSS said 'others that quote are used to doing local and national removals as well and will always over-estimate. We just do international so have a better judge of what can be fitted in a container, and not a lorry'. I suppose he has a point, which is reflected in their price and also Atlantic, who also only do International Moves.

I think, once things become clear, we'll go for either PSS or Atlantic.

Hope this is helpful to those people who are looking in the future. Our aim, subject to selling the house and visa (the latter is a de-facto visa so should be OK, but who knows) will be to move in Jan or Feb '09.

Cheers

Andy
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 40 foot container costs (including HC) - here they are...

OO thanks for that info, we have just had 2 out today, one being anglo pacific, he gave us a rough guide to cost of a 40ft sole use ( didn't mention HC though) appox £6000-£6500.

We also had britannia, he hasn't got back with a price yet but measured everything that we will be taking, very thorough indeed,

And john mason last wk, said 5600 for 20ft and 425cft excess.

Any info on wicker/seagrass baskets, had some conflicting info.
One said def nono, one said take it, it not a prob,theother one said u can take it if u want but they 'will' fumigate it and charge for the privelidge!! so not sure if to get rid of them or not, they just handy storage thats all, no sentimental value, but have quite a few.

Good luck with your travels
Claire
x
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by flump

Any info on wicker/seagrass baskets, had some conflicting info.
One said def nono, one said take it, it not a prob,theother one said u can take it if u want but they 'will' fumigate it and charge for the privelidge!! so not sure if to get rid of them or not, they just handy storage thats all, no sentimental value, but have quite a few.

x
Claire

I would say if you have room,take them and either they'll be dumped and you'll lose them or you'll be OK, with a small cost for fumigating them. However, if you run out of room, you now you have something you can leave...

There is conflicting information - mostly because it relies on customs going through all your gear, which may or may not happen, so some people could import some items that never get checked, report back that 'it was fine' and this becomes gospel.

Take items like that as pot luck and make a decision nearer thew time. As you say, no value so best not to worry...
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:15 pm
Banned

andrew4 is an unknown quantity at this point

My own shipment will require a 40ft HC, yes HC does stand for 'high cube'. Having worked in shipping I know a 40ft Hc holds aprox 2700 cubic feet. A realistic load volume for our belongings is somewhere between 2600 to 2700 cubic feet.

Wicker/seagrass if in doupt don't send it, the items were pob quite cheap in the first place, saves the risk / cost of the Au officers charging.

My move date keeps going backwards, just wish work would get it's act into gear!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
Chaps

I'm starting a new thread to help with future searches, and to give an overview that is very recent (Oct 08), as costs have gone up given other prices people paid.
This is great thanks Andy.

Im moving solo and only have a 'few' boxes - mainly, shoes, handbags, excess clothing and some reading books. Any idea how much this would cost? (Leeds to Cairns/North Queensland).

I havent had any quotes yet because my visa hasnt been approved yet and so i dont want to get too excited and then everything to fall apart!!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Titch2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: 40 foot container costs (including HC) - here they are...

We downgraded from a 40 ft container to a 20 ft (REEFER) - and the packing team arrives tomorrow!

Initially thought we had a good and fair deal - however when confirming the time today, we were told that the costs have increased by £125 - the reason being is the cost of the actual shipping company, which provides the container.

Hmm, I was under the impression that oil prices have gone down, companies want the business - so rather sneaky to only let us know the day before... or clever business men?

PS: I am aware that I am not mentioning the company (yet) which increased the price in the last minute - as you might guess I have my reasons (they still need to pack, load, ship, unload and unpack at the other end...)
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:10 pm
Banned

andrew4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Sorry no idea of shipping costs, the shipping i'm involved is bulk, my company does not often use containers.

Go to a specalist international removal company. Do not touch a commercial freight agent who dabbles in removals. Each needs a specalist, one attempting the other just causes trouble.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

daleandlou is an unknown quantity at this point

If anyone is from the Midlands area i would reccomend Burke Brothers of Wolverhampton. We had a 20ft container which held our furniture from our 3 bedroomed house and 2 motor bikes. They charged us £3400. This included a local bike shop picking up the bikes, steam cleaning them, removing the fluids and putting them into crates.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

stimmo is an unknown quantity at this point

We used european van lines, cost £6179 for a 40 foot container, everything ran smoothly and we had fantastic service.