British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   4 Years for Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/4-years-citizenship-396490/)

rugbymatt Sep 14th 2006 9:00 pm

Re: 4 Years for Citizenship

Or maybe he doesn't come out!!!

NedKelly Sep 14th 2006 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by The Bloke
What, no he doesn't understand the situation by inflamming it or no he doesn't say anything stupid?

Don't twist words, you said he had a complete lack of understanding of the situation, he doesn't.

You also said, "Lately everytime he opens he comes out with some stupid or racist-sounding comment", he doesn't.

biggy Sep 14th 2006 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by nick72
When did it change from 2 to 3 years ?

I thought it was still 2 ??

Nick

It is STILL 2 years

JAJ Sep 14th 2006 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's a four-year wait for citizenship in the UK as well, unless you marry a local (in which case it drops to 2 years).

Five years in the UK actually (and for many people it's 6 years because of how the immigration laws work).

Three years if you're married to a British citizen.

NickyP Sep 14th 2006 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Five years in the UK actually (and for many people it's 6 years because of how the immigration laws work).

I am confused :confused: (not difficult I know) at the moment we have got our PR after arriving on a 457 and will need to apply for citizenship as soon as eligible due to hubby's job. I thought tha it still stood at 2 years and was hoping that the new laws would allow current PR holders to still apply after 2 years, but this is looking very confusing at the moment.
Nicky

NKSK version 2 Sep 15th 2006 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's a four-year wait for citizenship in the UK as well, unless you marry a local (in which case it drops to 2 years).

Who cares?

We're all trying to get Australian citizenship.

alkristensen Sep 15th 2006 12:00 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

so how long do you have to wait then please to get citizenship in aus and when will it change and will it change?

rebabaros Sep 15th 2006 12:35 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen
so how long do you have to wait then please to get citizenship in aus and when will it change and will it change?

thats a bit of a stupid question, thats like asking how long a piece of string is, no-one knows at the moment !!
we are all waiting and wondering the same thing.

renth Sep 15th 2006 12:45 am

Originally Posted by rebabaros
thats a bit of a stupid question, thats like asking how long a piece of string is, no-one knows at the moment !!
we are all waiting and wondering the same thing.

The fact is, despite what the papers say, it's still 2 years. This "3 years 'till citizenship" has been bandied about for months, but it's still 2 years.

Maybe they'll make it 3, maybe they'll make it 4, who knows?

Personally not bothered as I already have it.

jad n rich Sep 15th 2006 1:04 am

Nine msn has its daily poll on the subject 15,000 voters say yes make them wait the 4 years, only 3,000 say no. Predictable, say what the public wants to hear, whens the election ;)

NickyP Sep 15th 2006 1:27 am

After checking the citizenship website it looks like it will be retrospective so we will have to wait at least 3 years for citizenship. The reasoning is typically poor though

The requirement was last year raised from two to three years in an attempt to contain the home-grown terror threat. At that time, then citizenship minister John Cobb said the longer migrants spent in Australian society before gaining citizenship, the less vulnerable they were to "falling in with extreme groups".

He said the extra time would allow migrants to "get a job, make mates and go to the pub".

Maybe we can apply for a waiver as we have arrived here with a job, have made some mates and have been to the pub several times so we have met the required goals of becomming a citizen :rolleyes:

Nicky

worzel Sep 15th 2006 1:35 am

Trying to clear up the misunderdstanding - John Howard proposed raising the time to 4 years, he never said what it was at the moment. Some of the press have presumably remembered they were talking about making it 3 and put 2 and 2 together (or should that be 3 and 1 together) and come up with the wrong answer.

I suspect that for frequent travellers etc there may be a work around to get citizenship sooner (prove you have white skin perhaps?)

Amazulu Sep 15th 2006 1:48 am

Originally Posted by NickyP
After checking the citizenship website it looks like it will be retrospective so we will have to wait at least 3 years for citizenship. The reasoning is typically poor though

The requirement was last year raised from two to three years in an attempt to contain the home-grown terror threat. At that time, then citizenship minister John Cobb said the longer migrants spent in Australian society before gaining citizenship, the less vulnerable they were to "falling in with extreme groups".

He said the extra time would allow migrants to "get a job, make mates and go to the pub".

Maybe we can apply for a waiver as we have arrived here with a job, have made some mates and have been to the pub several times so we have met the required goals of becomming a citizen :rolleyes:

Nicky

The 3 year wait for existing PRs has not been decided yet. I'm sure that when it is decided it will be posted on here with 30 seconds.:)

NickyP Sep 15th 2006 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The 3 year wait for existing PRs has not been decided yet. I'm sure that when it is decided it will be posted on here with 30 seconds.:)

I checked this website and it looks pretty set to me :(
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...iew/timing.htm

I am hoping that it will not affect current PR holders but it is looking unlikely.
Nicky

renth Sep 15th 2006 2:02 am

Quote from John Howard

""Certainly we are going to lift the waiting period to four years, there will be a fairly firm English language requirement and the paper itself ... will contain quite a number of issues,"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...2-1702,00.html

Citizenship act amendments due to go to parliament Jan 2007. So maybe that's when it will become 4 years instead of 2 (as it is now) and instead also of 3 (original proposed change).