Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 Years for Citizenship

4 Years for Citizenship

Old Sep 14th 2006, 2:19 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 Years for Citizenship

4 Years wait for citizenship... grrrr

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20414432-2,00.html

Its 3 years now already, I thought it was still 2, buggers.

Another 2 years of queing up in the bloody long passport line every time go in/out of Australia
Old Sep 14th 2006, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 Years for Citizenship

Originally Posted by spalen

Another 2 years of queing up in the bloody long passport line every time go in/out of Australia
It still is 2 years until the new laws go through. It's only a discussion paper at the moment so you might not have to wait four years.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 2:43 pm
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NedKelly
It still is 2 years until the new laws go through. It's only a discussion paper at the moment so you might not have to wait four years.
It's easy to see where the confusion comes from. trust media to blur the edges

It is understood the proposals also include an increase in the waiting period for people to become citizens from three years to four years.

The requirement was last year raised from two to three years in an attempt to contain the home-grown terror threat. At that time, then citizenship minister John Cobb said the longer migrants spent in Australian society before gaining citizenship, the less vulnerable they were to "falling in with extreme groups".
Old Sep 14th 2006, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

So when is it expected the new law will go through? Any idea?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 3:04 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Genie

It is understood the proposals also include an increase in the waiting period for people to become citizens from three years to four years.

The requirement was last year raised from two to three years in an attempt to contain the home-grown terror threat. At that time, then citizenship minister John Cobb said the longer migrants spent in Australian society before gaining citizenship, the less vulnerable they were to "falling in with extreme groups".
Blur the edges.... it bloody states that it was increased! Thats what I thought.

Its a bummer I travel a lot, and if you have an aussie passport you can pay 250$ and get a special 'travellers club' thing that lets you go through the same gates/security/etc as the air-crew ;-) ,u can go to china wihtout a visa, go to india etc, its excellent.. its part of a initiative to foster business in asia-pacific. Like in HK you can go thru the local residents gates etc instead of q'ing at the international passports gates. But with a pommie passport - you cant get the club thing becuase obviously UK isnt part of asia.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: 4 Years for Citizenship

FFS !
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 4 Years for Citizenship

It's a four-year wait for citizenship in the UK as well, unless you marry a local (in which case it drops to 2 years).
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:19 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's a four-year wait for citizenship in the UK as well, unless you marry a local (in which case it drops to 2 years).
When did it change from 2 to 3 years ?

I thought it was still 2 ??

Nick
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nick72
When did it change from 2 to 3 years ?

I thought it was still 2 ??

Nick

Well unless my eyesight has gone to ******* it still says 2 years on the immi website??????????????

Jen
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Well unless my eyesight has gone to ******* it still says 2 years on the immi website??????????????

Jen

I'm worrying... Not even there yet! Maybe I'll email my emmigration man.... lol
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:16 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen

Jen
Apparently it is supposed, to the best of my knowledge, to come into effect sometime in January. The 3 year rule that is.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:21 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Genie

This shows Howard's complete lack of understanding of the situation. Lately everytime he opens he comes out with some stupid or racist-sounding comment.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
This shows Howard's complete lack of understanding of the situation. Lately everytime he opens he comes out with some stupid or racist-sounding comment.
No he doesn't.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:51 pm

No he doesn't.
What, no he doesn't understand the situation by inflamming it or no he doesn't say anything stupid?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Beasleys big gob going off about immigrants is winding aussies up, he is beginning to come across as being less pro-immigration compared to the present gov who many people (opposition included) now see as letting too many immigrants in.

He will say anything to get the public on his side, didnt he this week want tourists as well as immigrants to take an oath to australia . The mans turning into a nut case, he is desperate to win the next election, despite his previous failed attempts.

Problem is his comments are going down will with the rah rah rah, keep australia for australians brigade, so Howards government has now got to look like its getting tough on immigration too, which is probably why the 4 years citizenship discussion has started. My opinion is its a public opinion winner comment which will win them votes and make them spar up with beasley.

Think about it the present gov is spending money running TV and media campaigns to get people to take up citizenship, but they want to make it harder, yeah right whatever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.