Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:47 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?

Originally Posted by eatstatic
I dont like 4x4 and their selfish owners, so that makes me a Red Ken style car hater? I think you should grow up, spouting such generalizations... etc etc ...
[rant]
Never thought I'd see the day, but I'm with Static... at least as far as vehicular transportation in the UK is concerned. I think AWDs are very useful in the right environment, such as the outback, towing your horses, working on farms - that kind of thing. But 95% of 'em over here are owned by arseholes whose definition of off-road is parking on the verge outside their brat's public school. They're an ugly, fossil-fuel munching plague and round these parts (the Cotswolds), you spend half your time backing up down narrow lines because some middle-class nonces with more cash than sense had to buy a soft-roader as big as they're egos.
[/rant]

Ah.... I feel much better for that.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:50 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
Renault Clios!!!!! Don't ****wits drive those?

From a 5.9 Blonde 4x4 driver!!!!
dont rise to him...he always posts antaganistic posts and tris to get peoples backs up :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
dont rise to him...he always posts antaganistic posts and tris to get peoples backs up :scared:
Difference being, this time he's right.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:54 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
[rant]
Never thought I'd see the day, but I'm with Static... at least as far as vehicular transportation in the UK is concerned...
I'd go with that too. Although I think Clio's are hairdressers cars :P

Seriously - I stopped off at the M&S food store on the way home the other day and there is a small 20 space car park. Each one must have been taken up by a rather large 4x4 with a mum and 1 kid. The only off road those Lexus's and Landrovers see is up and down the driveway each day. Environmentally they suck and simply no point to having one as a city urban assault vehicle.

However, since fortunately I need one to heave trailers through muck and fields, throw stinking dogs into the back and generally bugger up my warranty on Straddie Island, I guess I'll be scoping the Landcruiser and the Patrol then
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:10 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

That was well thought out, reasoned and balanced response, you have shown me the error of my ways.

Who said blondes were dumb?

Now get off the computer back in your tractor and block some roads up, preferably while booking your Toni and Guy highlights appointment on your mobile.
Nice comeback ****wit!!!!

Find me a nice Renualt Clio that will put up with my dogs, and pull two horses in a trailer and I may consider downsizing!

I hear ya.....hate to say it but I do....Mine is used as a workhorse and definitely not for taking the kiddies to school! I take the kids to school in the hummer!

And its bloody natural blonde I'll have ya know...none of these highlights for me!!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:14 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, haven't bought a 4x4 in Oz yet, but as a horseowner with a trailer have had a few 4x4's. Have had a landrover and pajero in the past, but the best one I've had so far has been my ole faithful Kia Sportage 4x4. Bit of a gas guzzler, but has suited me fine with all the horsey stuff I do. Ok, ok, I hear you all sniggering and tutting of 'women pah' but really this is a great, reasonably priced, good working 4x4 and believe me, I've put mine through its paces over the years. Have dragged the horses all over the country on the back of that (well not literally). Smells worse than the stable now, but I love it. Oh and Jeremy Clarkson raved about them when they reviewed them on Top Gear last year!!!

Mind you, the landcruiser is one hell of a beaut!
got to agree with you there welshie we have the karmann limited edition few years old now but a great 4x4 and still turns heads
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice comeback ****wit!!!!

Find me a nice Renualt Clio that will put up with my dogs, and pull two horses in a trailer and I may consider downsizing!

I hear ya.....hate to say it but I do....Mine is used as a workhorse and definitely not for taking the kiddies to school! I take the kids to school in the hummer!

And its bloody natural blonde I'll have ya know...none of these highlights for me!!
Your choice of Oz as a destination befits you. With a mouth as filthy as a gutter and an IQ below 40 you will fit in straight away.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:46 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Renault Clios!!!!! Don't ****wits drive those?

From a 5.9 Blonde 4x4 driver!!!!

We call them RENAULT CLITS cos every C*** has got one
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:51 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Your choice of Oz as a destination befits you. With a mouth as filthy as a gutter and an IQ below 40 you will fit in straight away.
Oooooo that hurt!!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:53 pm
Love Tiffany's

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
got to agree with you there welshie we have the karmann limited edition few years old now but a great 4x4 and still turns heads
Never heard of that one..? have to look it up. Agreed they are great...
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:09 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Kharman however you spell it are awesome
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I dont like 4x4 and their selfish owners, so that makes me a Red Ken style car hater? I think you should grow up, spouting such generalizations.

FYI I dont hate cars, I own a nice little Renault Clio, economical and a nice litlle runabout. I just get sick to death of seeing those blonde 5ft trophy wives swanning around in their chelsea tractors, blocking up roads on the school run, with their "precious little darlings" in the back. Who cares if we flatten someone elses kidsi n the process, well be right Jack.

No evidence of 4x4s killing more kids hey? I drive aroung London for a living and I see many accidents involving 4x4s and their incapible female drivers, they mash up cars beyond recognision, yey the 4x4 have minor damage, how is that no more dangerous to pedestrians/normal cars drivers?

When I come face to face with these idiots on a narrow urban road, I refuse to move and force the driver to reverse, making them see how unsuitable these vehicles are for urban driving.

I hate the things and would charge £5000 road tax a year to get the menace of the roads. The only exempion would be for famers/countryside workers and in any case would be banned from urban areas.

BTW I didnt use a bike to get around Oz the TWO times I have lived there, you patronising git. I bought an economical (for oz) 1.8 litre Holden and it done me fine. Now I will presume to know you and patronize, I suppose you will buy a 4x4 or V6/V8 to handle a 10 mile commute along sealed roads?

We do seem to have hit a little nerve here, could it be a bit of the green eyed monster creeping in.

I do agree with you about 4x4's being used in London, but I thought that OP was on about a vehicle that they could use to tow an horsebox with in Australia.

I also drive round London every day when doing my work and for your information I am an insurance assessor with 28 years experience in the motor industry, so I think I am qualified to repeat what my previous post stated, there is no evidence that 4x4's kill any more children than any other make of vehicle and in my experience in an accident a 4x4 comes off every bit as bad as any other type of car and in some circumstances a darn site worse.

Also I have never owned a 4x4, but I don't have a problem with anybody else owning one. We are all entitled to our opinions, even if they are not based on facts and before anybody starts on the fuel consumption argument how much diesel does a Bus or Taxi use, especially when Buses are empty for most of the day.

PS I like Clio's my Wife is on her 4th one.

John
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:22 am
Banned

Back to "Perspective"

Those that mock 4x4's are generally twats from Surbiton. Also not set foot out of their clean 2 wd shitbox[ apologies for those that have cars that resemble shitboxes or indeed aliken to the former of the sentence].

In australia, strangely enough, its KINDA daft NOT to have a 4x4 ... okay yes of course you can get away with not owning a 4x4, but yet again you end up in the Surbiton of Australia brigade.

99% of Australias rds are totally unmade. Dirt and shit !!

Add to this driving along a busy highway in your RENAULT CLIT, and a ****** big Kangaroo jumps out .. result your dead !!!

The injurys highlighted in the Ozzy media surrounding Kids at school, and town 4x4 drivers is extremely valid. But alas is also a minority case.

General driving in Oz can easily be acheived with a 2wd saloon, or hatchback. But stray from the blackstuff an you are in the shite. Remember mobile fone reception here is pretty crap soon, as you get out of major cities, so saying Oh well I will call the RACQ etc is not really a option.

I do however agree that general driving to and from your place of work, or to school to drop kids off is more than dooable ad possibly adviseable by 2wd. But Australia is more than that, and as Immigrants, we like to explore and travel. 4x4 is therefore the only way to go.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:24 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

this is the model we have..... "Kia Sportage 2.0L Karmann Sport Ltd Edition"
Attached Thumbnails Which 4 x 4 to buy ? any advice ?-s962vkj.jpg  
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:05 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

I would say a Holden of some sort - purely as you will never have to worry about getting parts for it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.